PDA

View Full Version : the universe

5_door owner
11-01-05, 07:28 PM
ok then would someone answer this for me;

if the universe ends how does it end (with a brick wall :?: )

and if it doesn't end how is that possible?

:new-alie:

?Marty?
11-01-05, 07:53 PM
It has been 'proven' (by current scientific knowledge and methods available) that the Universe is never ending, and that it is also ever Expanding.

Don't start the whole 'red light' thing again....

There used to be a day when people believed that the Earth was flat. Infact, they believed that it was flat (with 'the end of the world' around it) circular shape being held by three elephants who were standing on a giant tortoise (or something VERY similar to this - there are depictions available)!! :!: Crazy.

5_door owner
11-01-05, 07:58 PM
Universe is never ending, and that it is also ever Expanding

not sayin the men in white coats are wrong, but if something is never ending how can it expand??? :|

?Marty?
11-01-05, 08:05 PM
Universe is never ending, and that it is also ever Expanding

not sayin the men in white coats are wrong, but if something is never ending how can it expand??? :|

Because i made this explanation up. Which makes it FACTUAL and 'scientific' PROOF. You must believe, there is no other choice or option. Fact.

lol

No it actually depends on how you DEFINE 'Universe'. Are you looking from INSIDE or OUTSIDE of the fish bowl.

5_door owner
11-01-05, 08:06 PM
im lookin through the oven door at the fish inside boiling away :D

Philsutton
11-01-05, 09:27 PM
It has been 'proven' (by current scientific knowledge and methods available) that the Universe is never ending, and that it is also ever Expanding.

it has not been proven at all that the universe is never ending. There are many theories surrounding the matter but as of yet no way of proving anything.
There was one theory that as this universe expands time runs in a forward direction the direction we are custom to. But when the universe reaches the maxium expansion to which it will start to compress time would run backwards, just like the episode of red dwarf lol.

Others are that we are in one universe and there are many more parallel universes that exist on the boundary of ours.

Its all rather interesting to think about but its one of those things we will probably never know. If we were able to see the edge of the universe then we would infact be looking to past, the beginning of the universe, the distances are that vast.

?Marty?
12-01-05, 07:38 PM
It has been proven. I measured it with a ruler myself. It wouldn't fit on my ruler. This means that it is never ending.

AND Mr Vintin said so when i was 12.

Jack
12-01-05, 07:53 PM
I thought everything was flying away from the big bang, the centre of the universe so to speak... but gravity is slowing the expansion down and eventually it'll all come rushing back together in a big, erm, squish. And then Bang; it all starts again.

Personally I prefer to call it "Big Space Kablooie" rather than Big Bang.

Mike
12-01-05, 08:02 PM
"Big Space Kablooie"

:lol: :lol:

well, just to inform u all, when i finally get hold of a new flux capacitor for my nova, i will travel to the year 4000 and take notes upon how we/they live/breath/eat etc.

then i will travel back in time to the present day (approx 0.5 sec after i left) and give u all my hypothesis on the future event's.

if there is/was/going to be a Big space Kablooie i shall be the first to no and therefore become famous for predicting it, i will, in turn, make lots of money and buy myself a mountain all of my own, and a rather large car park to razz about in a shopping trolley and re-live my youth before i/we/evryone passes away in the loudest kablooie ever heard!

:lol:

Jack
12-01-05, 08:15 PM
before i/we/evryone passes away in the loudest KABLOOIE ever heard!

Oh get it RIGHT! lol

Mike
12-01-05, 08:20 PM
Magic

modern technology, dont you just love it??

hendrix
12-01-05, 08:33 PM
i do physics at uni and so does phil so im glad he answered this cuz i cant be bothered lol
its soooo damn complicated

?Marty?
12-01-05, 09:01 PM
i do physics at uni and so does phil so im glad he answered this cuz i cant be bothered lol
its soooo damn complicated

No, i prefer my made-up explanations, verified by a statement that they are ''proven'' which clearly embeds all that i say as ACTUAL statements of fact and not my fiction. lol

Philsutton
13-01-05, 12:09 PM
but gravity is slowing the expansion down
its actually currently been measured by red shift that the universe is in fact still accelerating not slowing down as many people think.

hendrix
14-01-05, 12:58 PM
well said phil!!
when it shrinks it will be blue shift?
lets not say anything about cosmic microwave background radiation or the search for weakly interacting massive particles lol
Good book for u all
Just Six Numbers by Professor Sir Martin Rees Astronmer Royal
all about the universe

?Marty?
14-01-05, 09:04 PM
but gravity is slowing the expansion down
its actually currently been measured by red shift that the universe is in fact still accelerating not slowing down as many people think.

Just what i said. 'Red light thing....'.

Mike
14-01-05, 09:43 PM
well, everybody no's nothing HAS to come from something! or how would the synaspes in you're brain hve inspired you to create this thread??

i.e Nothing is now forming something (in respect to this conversation!)

im not as look as i stupid you know :lol:

?Marty?
15-01-05, 01:11 PM
Sorry, i think you got the wrong number. This is the Universe department.

Mike
15-01-05, 08:56 PM
^^^ oh bugger.

i must have miss dialled. :oops:

PE4
16-01-05, 10:25 PM
I have often thought about this sort of thing when utterly bored, but the main thing I can't get my head around is not the neverending space, but the reason for a load of balls (planets) just floating around in a big nothing going in odd shaped circles that change shape over millions of years. Why do we live on a floating ball thats not in something, other than space, of course, which is nothing, so are we not on a ball in nothing?

Headache now :(

Philsutton
17-01-05, 11:46 AM
its all very logical when you think about it an apply the basic physical laws, its only things like black holes which begin to work against the laws of physics an then things get rather complicated