PDA

View Full Version : 1.4SR Parts into a 1.2?

Cassie-Nova
10-01-05, 11:39 PM
Hi guys,

Just want to check before i start messing about with it - Barn, the guy i got the bits from has ensured me that they will all fit/work on my 1.2 carb, could do with some guidepoints though :) .

Got a 1.4SR Inlet manifold, Pieburg 2E3 Carb and a 1.4SR Bolt on pancake filter (K&N). Got the day off work tommorow and am hoping to fit it all.

Are they all the bits i need? I'm running a manual choke, heard somewhere that its easier to change carb if you are using a manual choke, not sure if true though =/

Cheers guys,

Jim

novatracker
10-01-05, 11:46 PM
i it fit on wright away the 2e3 r getting harder 2 find with a manuel choke there normaly r controled of the coolent system with a biamatalik coil strip at the side.

Adam
10-01-05, 11:47 PM
Should be fine.
I think the 2e3 are autochoke though.
But should give a nice power increase after you have fitted em.

Adam
10-01-05, 11:51 PM
Do ya mean your current carb is manual choke, or the pierburg one you have now.

Cassie-Nova
10-01-05, 11:56 PM
My current Carb is a Manual Choke, I'm not sure about the 2E3 Carb though =/

How can I tell?

Nick
11-01-05, 12:00 AM
the choke linkage shouldn't link up to your manual "push/pull" rod inside the car.

from my expirience, they ARE auto choke.

Aragorn
11-01-05, 12:02 AM
2e3s are autochoke however u can get conversion kits to manual choke

i'd just fit the autochoke up - its only one wire (12v ignition live) and a few pipes

u will need a 1.3sr inlet manifold tho as the 1.4 one wont match up with your 1.2 ports

and you'll need the carb rejetted and setup properly for the 1200

Cassie-Nova
11-01-05, 12:02 AM
So the bits I have bought can't be fitted to my 1.2 then?

Will the K&N on my 1.2 1b1 carb?

Cassie-Nova
11-01-05, 12:04 AM
sry Aragorn, posted that before you had replied.

How much work is needed to fit jet/setup the carb for a 1.2?

Is it worth the effort? What gains will there be - i know they won't be huge as its a 1.2 =)

Aragorn
11-01-05, 12:21 AM
it will defo help, i'd also recommend getting a SR camshaft as this will provide much needed valve lift

not sure on the rejet - depends on how extensive it is and exactly what needs done

all u need to do is find yourself a 1.3sr and take the inlet manifold (and the autochoke water piping if u ahvent got it already ;)

and a cam from a 1.3 or 1.4sr or a GTE

sTuDeNt
11-01-05, 01:06 AM
Just to make it clear! :)
1.3 Inlet manifold is the best choise due to size and geometry of the ports. 1.4 is no good but you can fiddle if you want! :)
The best engine to get camshaft from is ONLY 14NV engine as the lift on the valves is the highets on both inlet and outlet not GTE or GSi comes close to match that camshaft I even think in duration and overlap, correct me if I am wrong. 1.3 cam is just a waste of time.
You not necessary have to get carb rejetted you can just get it properly set up, as I am running Weber 32/34 DMTL with 1.4 jets butr its been set up properly and it works like a baby!
Gains in total we talking about 3bhp if so taking in to acount you have standart filter and standart exhaust. :)
I used to believe in 1.2s as I have one myself but currently building 1.4SR Rally 100+bhp :twisted:

Snowface
11-01-05, 11:46 AM
yeah, 1.4 inlet will lose you quite a lot of power compared to using a 1.3 inlet manifold because the ports are a lot smaller (square).

If you go to a scrappy to get a 1.3 inlet take the jets out of the carb aswell or swap them with the 1.4 ones cause the 1.3 ones will be less rich than the 1.4 slightly.

Riggy
11-01-05, 06:35 PM
i didnt think that you can use the gte cam as it doesnt have the lobe for the mech fuel pump

Cassie-Nova
12-01-05, 11:42 PM
Will the 1.4SR K&N pancake filter still work with my 1b1 carb?

What do the camshafts do, out of curiosity more than anything :)

Jim

MC
12-01-05, 11:55 PM
The camshaft controls how long the valves are open for and how far they open.

In theory and to a point, opening a valve for longer and opening it more will result in more air and fuel entering the cylinder and gives a bigger bang.

The 1.4Sr cam has a longer duration (time open) and higher lift (how far open) than the 1.2 cam.

YOu must source a 1.3SR manifold as despite what anyone else might say, trying to use a 1.4 manifold will result in a loss of power. The 1.4sr carb will then bolt to this.

I would assume that the K&N filter will only fit properly on the SR carb.

MC

Cassie-Nova
13-01-05, 12:01 AM
According to the K&N website the 1.2 filter and the 1.4 filter are different part numbers.

Regarding the auto-choke; the 1.4sr carb = auto choke my car = manual. What exactly am i needing to change, the car completely from a manual choke to a carb? Or is there some ingenius way around all that, that i am over looking?

Thanks.

Jim