PDA

View Full Version : Weight of Alloys

Anonymous
05-02-02, 02:15 AM
Does anyone know how heavy different wheel designs are?

I'm just wondering since wheel weight is very important for handling (un-sprung weight) so thought it might be interesting to know the difference between different wheels, and are alloys actually lighter than steelies?

What started this off was my Cav GSi alloys......I've sold 'em you see and posted 'em......yep...I've posted a set of alloys!

Anyway, they were weighed at just under 10KG each (without tyres) on the post office scales (in a properly alloy wheel box, so knock a little off for the box) and I know that they are quite heavy wheels due to the small holes.

I don't suppose anyone's ever weighed their wheels mind, but worth asking ;)

Anonymous
05-02-02, 02:23 AM
it will depend on size and what there made from. the four main perhaps only are steel,alloy,magnesium and aluiminum.

i think magnesium would come 1st then aluimium, steel and alloy although like u said the design seems to be a main factor in the question.

Anonymous
05-02-02, 03:17 AM
std nova 3-bar aloys are heavier than the nova steelies!!!
The alloy hasto be so much thicker becuase it isnt as strong!

Anonymous
05-02-02, 08:17 AM
here comes wisewood with some wisdom look rich... you watching...

GO AND ASK AT AN ALLOY'S SHOP!!!
you could do that at the same time as you go to vauxhall and get them gte door stickers and the new repeaters you wanted!

Now you see, at a shop that sells alloys, they should know everything there is to know about the wheels really... you could take a clip board and say its some sort of stupid study for a course you are doing at uni or something... and then publish the results on here.

The name is misleading - I am not wise, or wooden.