PDA

View Full Version : engine probs after doing head gasket!!! Any1 please help!!!!

banny2k
10-01-05, 10:04 PM
I have done my head for a 1.6 GTE. Pretty sure i have done it right and fastened down the new head bolts to the right torque in the right order. Fuel is coming through and all the spark plugs are sparkin but it dont start?

It struggles to turn over at first but when i re-turn the key it turns over alot quicker? Now can this be the cylinder compression? Can i test this? Also lets say the timing is the most way out possible, can this cause these kinda problems or would it still start but use shit loadsa fuel? Also how can i test this with havin only standard tools pretty much?

Any suggestions welcome!!!

Cheers

Oh yeah the AFM is connected fine too

Aragorn
10-01-05, 11:57 PM
if the timing is way out you will bend things

check all the timing marks line up properly and make sure the leads are on the correct way round

if it was only a few teeth out on the timing it would normally start but then run like shit

might wanna get a compression tester and run a compression test on it

banny2k
11-01-05, 07:28 PM
The timing is right im pretty sure but what do i do if the compression is shit? how much is a tester? you any other ideas what it could be if it is not the compression or anything else i said?

cheers

johnny27
12-01-05, 06:39 PM
did you get the head skimmed? Pretty often it warps after blowing the gasket, so you'd be leaking compression, check the water bottle pressure for to much blowback pressure and see if there's any oil mixed with it.

Mike
12-01-05, 07:36 PM
u say the timing is really out, this WILL cause ur car to run/not start erally badly!

the piston rings could be buggerd is the spark/s arent igniting the petrol, probably just need's a head skim and the timing doing tho :|