PDA

View Full Version : MK Road test! Why you should drive a Nova!

CP
09-01-05, 08:57 PM
You know what its like -summer fun is history - the long cold damp winter nights drag on - your car's off the road needing to be fixed and you kind of lose the plot with it and associated tuning plans? You cant be arsed basically?

Well that was me til this afternoon. I haven't driven my Nova for so long I kinda lost touch with it. BUT :!: Jim, Dan and Benji, apparently of their own free wills, ( :o ) agreed to let me take their cars out for a quick test drive at the MK meet! Goody!

WOW! I had the best time! :D :D With me as Clarkson and Benji co-driving we tried each car on the same route back to back.

Jims: 1.6 T40 8v. As you may know Jims engine is fresh from a re-build which i had a little involvement in and it was my first time in it since it was rolling roaded. On start up the engine note seems much deeper and gruffer than I had remembered it. Ticks over ok typical 40's needs a bit of patience to get it to run clean and settled for a minute or two. We got wedged and i mean wedged! into Jims seats and off we went. Instant response is clean and pull is instant. The revs pick up sharply and as the car gets to about mid rev range the engine note changes and there's quite a considerable crackle very similar to my 1.4 16V. Slipstreamin off a roundabout in second i had to feed the power in to control the worst of the wheelspin. Get into third and traction is regained and there is a jolt as the car lurches forward at an impressive and increasin rate. Acceleration is fierce and continual - the engine seems sharp and crisp in its power delivery throughout. Gear change with Griffiths linkage is smooth and tight. This engine is strong no doubt in my mind. Overall impression on the public roads is excellent, brakes,ride, suspension the lot. Its a very fast car by anybody's standards.

Recommendations: LSD!!!! Knight rider red neon lights at the front :wink:

Dans:1.6 T40 8v Out of Jims and straight into dan's. This car immediately feels lighter and more taught. There's no apparent give or slop in the shell and from the start its off faster than any road car i have ever driven. Up and running immediately the level of grip is apparent. Its extremely impressive! Anyone who has Nova with power well in excess of 100HP and thinks an LSD isn't worth having is deluding themselves. Feeding the power in round roundabouts in this car is a joy and its possible in the greasy conditions to have it right on the edge of grip with complete confidence. Its much faster than Jims in the bendy stuff because of it. Heavy braking makes the car a little twitchy at the rear but otherwise it stops well for well worn brakes. Engine response is similar to Jims pulling hard and clean right the way upto the shift light. The difference between the 2 is very small but dans seemed to have a little less throughout and at the top end, giving the impression that his power is more torquey and from lower down. His easy and cheap steering and gear shift mods are very effective and out of the 3 i felt his gave the best feedback - its so responsive. Having lowered it the car corners flatter with a lot less roll. Overall impression on the public road is similar to Jims but probably faster point to point due to the handling and LSD. Its extremely fast and great fun to drive - i love this car and it only stands Dan at a few K!!! I cant think of any cars that can do as much as this car can for so little outlay!

Recommendations : Lower the seats a bit to lower the centre of gravity? Slicks, brake overhaul. Diet :wink:

Benji's: 1.4 T40 8v. Fire's up typical 40's and soon runs clean. Pick up and instant go is good and strong. All 3 of these Novas are fast off the start unlike mine! A nice gruff note when the accelerator is planted and whilst the initial acceleration isnt as good as the 1.6 's it does pull clean and the sr gearing allows it to accelerate mid range up to its peak very strongly upto top speeds on the same bits of roads not too much down on the others. Brakes were worse the wear from track day abuse but handling around the corners is very good tho not quite a sharp as Dans. I have a theory that its better to have a slightly less powerful engine than you think you could cope with rather than one that you feel is a bit of a handful. I think it makes you drive more confidently and smoothly and therefore a lot faster than you think. I get the impression that Benji's in the groove with this car because of this factor and on track there's no doubt he's a force to be reckoned with :wink:

Recomendations: Brake overhaul and get rid of absolutely all the weight!

It was an excellent experience! Its re-invigorated my interest in my Nova. I'd forgotten just how much fun these cars can be!! :D :D Yehaa!!!

burgo
09-01-05, 09:04 PM
you lucky get!! id love to drive all three of those cars

Mike.
09-01-05, 09:08 PM
must of been great to drive those cars

benji
09-01-05, 09:09 PM
it was fun hurtling round the islands in mk weaving in and out of traffic with some old bloke driving like a teenager :D

i went out in dan's and jim's, and wanted to go out in mine to see the difference from the passenger seat.

Will
09-01-05, 09:10 PM
It was an excellent experience! Its re-invigorated my interest in my Nova. I'd forgotten just how much fun these cars can be!! :D :D Yehaa!!!

thats good to hear :D

just me being there makes me want to start sorting mine out and stop being a tart.....

good meeting, quality fast cars, big respect :)

scott.parker
09-01-05, 09:22 PM
CP you should of taken mine out and laugh your tits off,you would of hated the heavy lump! :lol:

Mine felt ok in the dry when i started out this morning but later on the way home,ahh i hate rain...must get dif soon as :wink:

Benji you need to take me out in yours,and ill let you try mine out up donnington next time :wink: .

scott

Mike
09-01-05, 09:31 PM
there were sum really good nova's up there today, im glad i went tbh, was an ace day!

Matt Nova
09-01-05, 11:24 PM
lucky bloke getting to drive all those cars lol

srs1
10-01-05, 12:28 AM
dans car does handle really well, i was impressed.
i would say in an out run race dan would win, his confidence behind the wheel is there, his knowledge of how to drive the car to its limits is there.

i will wait till those nice blokes jim and benji offer me a lift.

Chris
10-01-05, 12:46 AM
Dan,
Your car was a very good experience. The power/grip/handling was like I could of never imagined. I do think you were attempting those roundabouts faster in the wet than I would of ever attempted in the dry. I also enjoyed the ride, it too wasnt like I expected from coilovers, I thought they would be much harsher, but I could put up with them even on an everyday car. But after all those good points I have picked out, the bit that beats them all is.......The Noise. Wicked, what more to be said.

Jim,
As I said earlier I dont like kitted up nova's but yours IMO is something really special, the quality of the workmanship is to an amazing standard, I was utterly impressed by the boot floor. The subtle touchs like rear bumper shaping and door handles just improve an already amazing car, and the best part I thought is the engine, what can I say?

Benji,
Once again I was impressed by your motor, I couldn't keep up with you until we hit license losing speeds which for a fast road car/track car yours is built for, what more do you want? It proved itself at Donnington in december and proved how good it was to me today. Once again the noise was nice lol

A quality day out, thanks everyone

Chris

benji
10-01-05, 01:55 AM
you got home ok then chris. aa to the rescue

i went after that fiesta, we were doing 115 sat on his bumper and he wouldn't move over, i presume he was flat out? dunno what engine they have? so i did what any normal person would do... undertook him :twisted: i thought you came with me but couldn't see you

Barn
10-01-05, 07:24 PM
lol, whatever happened to 'save driving like an arse for the track'?

if some newbie came on here saying he did something like that said above everyone would rip the p*ss out of him/her saying he/she is a tw*t etc and that you shouldnt be driving like that on a public road

:roll:

benji
10-01-05, 07:28 PM
i've necer said that?? drive like a ass everywhere :wink:

Barn
10-01-05, 07:37 PM
not you directly benji, i mean the likes of Jim, Jules etc etc all the regular guys that always preach to the newbies that that type of thing is out of order etc

seems that its ok to drive like an arse though if your one of the regulars...either that or they just have chosen not to comment/havent seen this post (doubt it), whatever

just an observation.

Riggy
10-01-05, 07:38 PM
benji car doesnt half go for it :D came out of watford gap and he was gone right on the arse of karl in the evo lol :D

Dan
10-01-05, 07:44 PM
LOL when i took the 2 lads out i drove reasonably steady and well within the control of the car (speed limits were'nt excessive either due to the nature of very short straights between roundabouts), even warned them that the full potential couldnt be showed as the conditions were against us and the front left brake was a tad sharper than normal ;)

(what charles got upto is anyones guess :lol: :lol: but remember, he's at that age that black outs and flash backs are far more common and realtime like nowadays)

srs1
10-01-05, 07:44 PM
got my car back now, any chance of another mk meet so i can turn up.

Chris
10-01-05, 07:53 PM
it wasn't Jim who was driving though, and Jules wasnt there. They were not racing, not doing anything silly, just testing out each others cars. If you read what Charles put again he does mention about how he drove the cars but couldnt really do much more on teh public road (or along those lines) lol

Chris

Jim
10-01-05, 08:08 PM
I see your point Barn, but as already mentioned, I wasnt driving my car.

Also, for the record the speed limits in Milton Keynes are 70mph.

Jim

Barn
10-01-05, 08:09 PM
it wasn't Jim who was driving though, and Jules wasnt there. They were not racing, not doing anything silly, just testing out each others cars. If you read what Charles put again he does mention about how he drove the cars but couldnt really do much more on teh public road (or along those lines) lol

Chris
I'm not targeting anyone specifically in either points (the driving or who usually has a go @ newbies) they were just two names I thought of that usually say that type of thing, just stating an observation.

....I do think you were attempting those roundabouts faster in the wet than I would of ever attempted in the dry.

....Once again I was impressed by your motor, I couldn't keep up with you until we hit license losing speeds which for a fast road car/track car yours is built for....
nothing silly ey...?

I'm not trying to be a tw*t...I'm just saying that if it were anyone else other than the regular guys/mods posted something like this topic...most would be laying into him/her

Chris
10-01-05, 08:33 PM
Ok Barn I see your point.

Dan, wasnt speeding or doing anything silly, he was approaching roundabouts with a view of all entrance/exit's so he knew they were clear and went round them rather quick, nothing silly, it didnt even feel like he was pushing his car to the limit, the only time I felt scared was when he approached a speed bump and didnt slow down, which is quite good as I am a nervous passenger. The part mentioned about Benji and myself was on the fast lane of the motorway with a nice clear run, not close to others, so IMO not being silly. When people say take it to the track I think they mean when people come on here posting about beating other cars on teh road, Charles and Dan were not racing other cars, simply testing out how the drove in Charle's case and demonstrating to me about the weight loss and diff in Dan's case

Chris

Mel
10-01-05, 08:50 PM
The only thing CP neglected to say was the fact that he was a bit over happy on the speed bump on the way out of the Lake car park..and made a very loud scraping noise :lol:

All 3 cars looked and sounded stunning. I can only dream of having a car HALF as tuned as theirs.

Well done lads!

benji
10-01-05, 08:51 PM
The only thing CP neglected to say was the fact that he was a bit over happy on the speed bump on the way out of the Lake car park..and made a very loud scraping noise :lol:

don't tell jim

Mel
10-01-05, 08:55 PM
lol, he was there, and heard..you never saw his face when it happened :wink: :lol:

Jim
10-01-05, 09:40 PM
I know Charles isnt a fan of my styling and has said he doesnt like the splitter, but I didnt think there was any need for him to try and remove it there and then :o

;)

Jim

Stuart
10-01-05, 09:45 PM
barn chill mate.

the silly peeps were the ones racing up and down the car park as they entered/left (and those 2 twats trying to do 40 in the carpark with people in the way ;) )

ive only felt nervous in dans car once, and that was just after he fitted the diff and we hit a corner that neither of us knew at xx mph and just hoped for the best lmao

Dan
10-01-05, 10:02 PM
yes that is the only single moment stu gave me a funny look and once we got round it was like "oh, is that it" lol. Not bad considering he's probably covered 1000+ miles in the car with me during its evolution

epo
10-01-05, 10:11 PM
benji made me laugh on the motorway rush of blood to the head an he was away :lol: :lol:

benji
10-01-05, 11:30 PM
first job. catch you all up then race chris. it was better/worse(depending how you look at it) on the way home

Snowface
11-01-05, 12:01 PM
i hear what your saying barn. But i guess with all the petrol and testosterone there is always gonna be urges to lead foot it a bit. It happens to the best of us at times. :?

Chris
11-01-05, 01:46 PM
catch you all up then race chris.

It wasnt racing, we were just comparing the acceleration

Chris

Matt Nova
11-01-05, 03:20 PM
i'd join in but theres more performance in a potato than mine :lol:

but i did beat hendrix (due to his car not running right ) :lol:

epo
11-01-05, 03:45 PM
i wanted to get the citreon but had to turn off

also neil is the worst one for making convoys go nuts :lol:

CP
11-01-05, 10:50 PM
:oops: i forgot about the splitter and the hump til too late! soorrreee Jim!

Sorry Barn i stand corrected seeing as i started the thread. Didn't mean to cause any offence. I was making some observations thats all. I would be the last person to say its ok driving around the place like an idiot.