PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Help

Craig_Nova
09-01-05, 04:19 PM
Right, Yesterday i got pulled because of my exhaust. Its a 4'' Savage backbox and its loud. The copper pulled me and said i got 10 days to remove it and get it checked by M.O.T people or else they will start court procedings against me. Any ideas on how i can stop it being so loud?? I mean i have the back bumper cut to the size of the exhaust :( Not happy please help before they force me back to standard!!

Philsutton
09-01-05, 04:44 PM
Its all bullshit, ive had the same quite a few times. They came round my house an inspected the car but guess what, there is not limit to how loud a car can be. All they do is says its loud, but dont give you a level to bring it down to. They also dont have anyway of measuring the sound level to get evidence that your car is "loud". All i did was put another siliencer in an got an mot station to stamp the sheet, the same guy that passed it a week before. Ask them to measure the sound level an tell what the limit is if it supposedly illegal. Noone will know and you'll end up not going to court.

david dixon
09-01-05, 05:29 PM
you chaps must get off lightly where you live, up our way the traffic cops have a device for measuring the level ad they tell everyone that the limit is around 88db (i'm sure thats what it is!)

Rach
09-01-05, 05:39 PM
yeah, we're only allowed a certain decibel level around here too, dont know what it is though.

my mate used to get pulled for his ashley system as it was technically too loud

Aragorn
09-01-05, 08:56 PM
the limit is actually around 78 db BUT there is a very strict method of measuring this and it involves setting up a microfone/sound meter at 7m away from the side of the vehicle (ie not the rear) and bringing the engine upto a set rpm (to simplify its half the max rpm so about 3000-3500ish for normal petrol engine) and then testing the sound emitted

i got a ?30 Fixed Penalty Notice for it at the beginning of november and went and checked out the law on this, the regulations were laid down in the motor vehicle construction and use regulations 1986 and havent been revised since

the copper in my case stood at the rear of my car and tested the system from about 1/2 a meter and simply said "rev the engine a bit" (for the record it clocked up 108db :D) but since his method of testing is bollocks then the whole FPN was invalid in my eyes

i havent heard anything about the producer and it remains unpaid so we shall have to wait and see what they do about it

in your case did he give u a pink slip for MOT station to stamp? if so take the car to MOT station and ask them to stamp it ;) most mot stations will do it for you as they dont have the correct equipment to test and they must just test it by ear

if he didnt give u a slip then its a pile of shite and they cant do anything

Craig_Nova
09-01-05, 10:46 PM
Ye i got tha stupid pink slip, i think im goin to take it to a garage get a silencer on it. Then get em to stamp it, its stupid. I think its really unfair because its our own cars, but because im making the exhaust have less noise. I just brought a 12'' 1200 watt sub, so now i got 2. Gota make the sound up someway!! :D

Aragorn
10-01-05, 09:51 AM
why bother fititng anohter silencer

just see if the garage will stamp it without doing anything

get them to check the system for leaks and then stamp it

Philsutton
10-01-05, 12:08 PM
adding siliencers doesnt really do much i had four on mine an you could still hear it miles away. The police round here dont know about this law by the sounds of it or limit shows how well they do their job.

Stuart
10-01-05, 12:24 PM
78 db @ half max rpm @ 7m to the side! how fcuking loud must the exhaust be to break that limit!!!!!

also is the test done in a silent anarchic chamber? lol or out on a busy street etc. its an intangeable test for sensible prosecution

mad-driver
10-01-05, 07:50 PM
my dads mate got pulled in his TVR for being too loud, only problem was his exhaust was standard so they couldn't do anything. And what about all these scoobs they are louder than Nova's so what they talking about lol.