PDA

View Full Version : Which brake setup?

SKoob
06-01-05, 04:19 PM
I'm buying Ad Morans old 1.6 engine and am wondering what brakes I should run for it. Its putting out about 140bhp. I'm in 2minds as to wether I should get some 16v brakes or some v6 brakes. When Ad took me out in it he was running V6 brakes and they were damn impressive, but i'm worried about them locking up to much :| any advice please. I will of course be running either setup with a GSi servo and braided hoses :wink:

benji
06-01-05, 04:46 PM
i'll have some 16v calipers for sale in a couple of weeks if you want them. i thought about upgrading tov6, but i'm gong for some wilwood 4pot's now

Riggy
06-01-05, 05:45 PM
i say v6 imo

as then you get a great power setup and you get the looks lol - nothing worse then brakes that look tiny lol

but make sure you have some good tyres up front to help with the locing up - but shouldnt happen if your sensible with your brakes and not always brakin late :D

SKoob
06-01-05, 05:48 PM
i'm so use to shitty standard brakes mate, i never gonan get use to braking late :lol: i'm only getting 15s so even 16v brakes should look big 8)

benji
06-01-05, 08:37 PM
but shouldnt happen if your sensible with your brakes and not always brakin late :D

doh

burgo
06-01-05, 08:39 PM
depends how much you wanna spend. you can get 16v calipers from you local scrappy for a tenner

Chris
06-01-05, 08:42 PM
the brakes are only as good as your tyres. If you are worried about the V6's locking up then dont press them so hard lol. YOu should be able to make 16v ones lock up if you press them hard enough, especially with braided lines

Chris

benji
06-01-05, 08:49 PM
YOu should be able to make 16v ones lock up if you press them hard enough, especially with braided lines

hell yeah. you should be able to lock them up whenevery you want, you should also be able to stop very quickly.

at the end of the day you are best deciding what the car will be used for, if it is juast for road with the odd track day, then get the v6 stuff. if it's gonna be a track slag get the 16v's now(cheaply) then get some 4pot's when you have spare cash

Matt Nova
07-01-05, 12:16 AM
i heard that v6 can be abit overkill for novas?

i've just bought some 16v stuff and going to get braided lines for them too

-Bruce-
07-01-05, 11:31 AM
I would say get the 16v set up. Your brakes are only as good as your tyres. The v6 will look better but not sure if you will feel a benifet of them. Braided hoses are also a good thing to get much beter brake feel.

bruce

Philsutton
07-01-05, 12:18 PM
the v6 ones are certainly better, i took a nova for a spin which had some one an they were very sharp. Very good stopping power in the dry but i would imagine it would be lethal in the wet as my 16v ones can be

Snowface
07-01-05, 06:35 PM
if its a small block engine then stick to 16v.

might be worth going for V6 if using a heavier big block but probably stick to a good set of 256mm's.