PDA

View Full Version : MOT wing mirror

sTuDeNt
05-01-05, 11:28 PM
Just a quick question. Do I have to have wing mirror to pass MOT? Car is 1980.

Jack
05-01-05, 11:56 PM
No - as long as you have an interior mirror. You only need either one wing mirror or an interior mirror.

sTuDeNt
06-01-05, 12:08 AM
Can some one back me up on this with DVLA official requirements I can then take it back to the garage and tell them to f off as they failed me!

Thanks a lot!

Rach
06-01-05, 12:24 AM
Found this somewhere

"Mirrors are a common fail point. There must be a right-hand door mirror and one other, either inside or on the other door; many cars have all three.

A cracked mirror may pass an MoT inspection - it depends whether it still provides a clear view. If the glass is still there such a fault is easily remedied by fitting a stick-on replacement.

If the mirror is missing or damaged beyond repair, an original manufacturer's replacement will be needed - it has to fit the housing exactly. Alternatively, scrapyards often stock mirrors and mirror housings."

sTuDeNt
06-01-05, 01:24 AM
Thanks Rach, you are a star!!! :wink:

Will
06-01-05, 10:02 AM
mums old car only has drivers side wing mirror and an interior one thats fine.......

u dont need all 3.......

Jack
06-01-05, 02:42 PM
Whoops.... I read the guide wrong lol :oops:

Will and Rach are right. You need a drivers side wing mirror, and an interior mirror. The passenger side isn't required. Its older cars, pre-1978, that only require one.

However, the guide also states that "only the obligatory mirrors should be checked" as following:

Reason For Rejection
An Obligatory mirror is:
a. missing or insecure

b. so damaged or deteriorated that the view to the rear is seriously impaired

c. does not provide a view to the rear of the vehicle

d. not clearly visible from the drivers seat, or incapable of being adjusted to be clearly visible from the drivers seat.
...so, the MOT station can't fail your car on the condition of the passenger side mirror.

sTuDeNt
06-01-05, 09:05 PM
Thanks a lot guys! You have been really helpful!
Unfortunately its the drivers side thats missing and the car in 1980 so its a fail! :roll:
Thanks again!

Alex
07-01-05, 01:34 PM
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_660.htm

Rach
07-01-05, 06:59 PM
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_660.htm

smart arse... lol