PDA

View Full Version : wet footwell help :( *UPDATED WITH VIDEO*

supernova1983
05-01-05, 11:17 PM
been having trouble with car alarm today as i bent down to look under the dash i noticed my drivers footwell carpet is quite wet

is this common ? and any ideas of the cause?

Dod
05-01-05, 11:53 PM
Hate having to tell you this, but have you cheaked the battrey tray? They rot through and any water that gets into the shuttle panel'll fall into the footwell. Its also quite tricky to repair cuz int in an awkward place. Some say weld it up, i saw fibre glass it, a bit of fillers and shape a new chanel for the water to flow away from it. If Its not addressed soon it'll corrode the floor and the inner wings... Quite nasty business!!

Jules
06-01-05, 12:08 AM
Have your heaters got worse recently?
If the have then you've probably got a crack in one of the pipes for the heater matrix that lives under the dash.

Chris
06-01-05, 06:38 AM
also there are drain bungs in the floor, just lie down underneath and check that they are all in good condition

Chris

dunova
06-01-05, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hijack, but i've recently found this in my passenger side footwell. I've recently had a hole in my battery tray welded, but my drivers footwell has always been dry as a nut. My passenger one still is bad though-so what should i check on mine?
-Drain bungs in the floor
-Heater is very good so i think it's not leaking
-Scuttle panel, but where abouts do i look to see if it's corroded or not?
-Anything else?

boredbloke
06-01-05, 12:58 PM
Yeah I removed my carpet last week to spray it (cudn't ar*ed to pay out for a new one) and the insulation in my drivers side was quite, I put it down to the very heavy rainfall we had previously.

I might have to check a little harder!!!

Alex
06-01-05, 02:40 PM
Also check the bungs from the wires coming from the arches. My car got soaked when one fell out, and i didnt realise for ages.

dan-hipgrave
06-01-05, 04:55 PM
also check the rubber door seals, mine leaked last winter and i had both footwells really soaked - it turned out to be the door seals..

supernova1983
06-01-05, 05:52 PM
Hate having to tell you this, but have you cheaked the battrey tray? They rot through and any water that gets into the shuttle panel'll fall into the footwell. Its also quite tricky to repair cuz int in an awkward place. Some say weld it up, i saw fibre glass it, a bit of fillers and shape a new chanel for the water to flow away from it. If Its not addressed soon it'll corrode the floor and the inner wings... Quite nasty business!!

u mean the tray the battery sits on that channels to a hole that is on the front wing so anything theat goes in there goes into the footwell ?

i thoaght that went else where ? im lost

i lifted up carpet to day and the undermatting was soacked i had to get rid stunk only prob is finding where water is coming from coulntg tell from looking but are these drain bungs on underside as underneath the undermatting stuff is that red rubber type stuff b4 u got the metal of car and all thats fine :?

supernova1983
06-01-05, 06:16 PM
sorry update just been outside to check and from what i can asume are the bungs there 3 rubber things on underneath of car spaced apart from one another bout 12 inch apart they all there no water on them or anything :?

Ste_Nova
06-01-05, 06:27 PM
take one of the bungs out for now... to release the water... we have a cav with a fucked screen seal and it leaks in... footwell had 6" of water in!... so removed bung... more goes out of the bung than could ever come in!

supernova1983
06-01-05, 06:30 PM
cheers for advice but the as ive now removed the underllay stuff coz it was messed it was that keeping it wet ive dried the rest of footwell its now dry so i dont realy know where the water came from still :?

supernova1983
28-01-05, 10:59 AM
update the water is coming in from the area behind where the pedals are behinde them theres ike a seam in the body work and the water is coming through the gap but i dunno how u get to this from the other side of the car

also im sure its coming in from engine bay it gets wet when not in use from heavy rain

if anyone has any ideas it be great or my cars gonna die soon :(

Stuart
28-01-05, 11:14 AM
take your battery out and then stab at the piece of metal under it with a screw driver, if it goes through the metal with the greatest of ease then your battery tray is fecked.

oh you may also want to take the wing off to examine the innder arch that the channel from the battery drains to, as the acid from a battery leak could have screwed that pannel too.

supernova1983
28-01-05, 11:44 AM
ok cheers sorry should of added ive checked this all is looking nice and clean im thinking its where the water drains to thats the problem where the indicator wire runs into the hole in the wing how hard is it to take off wing ?

madcodling
28-01-05, 12:27 PM
only takes 5 minuets to get it off,firstly there is 2 bolts in the footwell area behind the wing and 1 underneath at the bottom of the wing. to get the rest ull have to open the bonnet and there will be i think 7 i cant remember how many but its easy enough to do :wink:

supernova1983
28-01-05, 12:45 PM
ive managed to record a small vid on me phone to show u all where the water is coming in but i dont have anywhere to host it so i can upload

supernova1983
28-01-05, 01:30 PM
here we go small video file of where water is coming in http://www.staiano.dsl.pipex.com/clip.3gp

mowgli
28-01-05, 07:40 PM
looks like it is coming down from the battery tray area. What can happen is the drain holes block with leaves... Also, after a bodywork repair, not all bodyshops use sealant around the joints

supernova1983
28-01-05, 11:33 PM
so will i need to remove the wing to get at this to sort it

Aragorn
28-01-05, 11:58 PM
remove the battery and the plastic tray that sits under it and have a look

that seam is the one that forms the "bulkhead" in the engine bay thats just in front of where the battery lives

get in there with a hammer and give everything a good belting and see if u can find where its rotting