PDA

View Full Version : Digital Dash

5toprjepog
05-01-05, 02:23 PM
Can some body give me a site that will discribe what wires connect from the standard wiring loom of a mk2 nova into the back of the digital dash :oops:

epo
05-01-05, 02:39 PM
http://www.nova-land.com/

there you go

5toprjepog
06-01-05, 05:37 PM
thanks i have got it all done now can anyone tell me why its reading wrong speed it's the 8v version dash and my car is a 1.5td but it keeps reading half the speed im actually doin and the tacho revs up to 4000 when my engine is just ticking over at between 1000 and 1500 rpm
thank you all

Riggy
06-01-05, 05:41 PM
2 things to check mate

1- is it the right transducer for the dash as in both from the same car

2- there is a little red switch on top of the dash try movin this to the other position

5toprjepog
06-01-05, 06:51 PM
hey riggy i left the one that runs the analogue clooks on the gearbox and plugged the gte one on top routed the earth and live through the old sensor plug and then ran the speedo sensor from the new sensor plug and pluged it on top

do you know whats effecting the revs as thats entirly separt as it runs through the green wire to the ecu

if any one could tell me if i get a wide arch kit can i then get rid of the rust that occurs under the rear arches or do they just go on top

Riggy
06-01-05, 07:12 PM
try runnin the wire for the rev counter straight to the coil then

and just screw the transducer into the g/box as i have no idea how you have got it runnin with your set up lol :D

Aragorn
07-01-05, 12:48 AM
the td wont read right cos it uses a different type of sender

5toprjepog
07-01-05, 02:44 PM
frolics oh well it looks like im hitting the limiter at 40 mph in 5 th

ive just got an eletronioc speedo sensor to put on front wheels that reads rpm, mph and everything its off a honda fireblade i will work out where on the wheels the diameter is readable at the correct spped

epo
07-01-05, 06:52 PM
the td wont read right cos it uses a different type of sender

so can you not fit a digi dash in a td then

5toprjepog
09-01-05, 04:23 PM
No it doesnt read the revs right even if you go from the coil. you have to find a way round it, i havent at the moment but tryin to.

Aragorn
09-01-05, 09:19 PM
what exactly does the dash do?

if it jumps around randomly then its triggered on the HV kickback pulse produced when the coil field collapses on a petrol ignition coil which doesnt exist on a derv

if it sits at exactly 4k at idle for instance then the dash IS understanding the signals but the ratio is just wrong which is the best case scenario

u'd simply need to build a circuit which produces a pulse after reading say 4 pulses from the alternator sender and plumb the output into the digidash

best idea would be to get an oscilliscope onto the tach output and see what its actually producing compared to a petrol engine

5toprjepog
12-01-05, 05:35 PM
what is the tach output on a petrol meant to read?

Aragorn
12-01-05, 06:27 PM
4 pulses per rotation of the CAM

ie 2 pulses per rev of the engine

Nick
12-01-05, 06:37 PM
u'd simply need to build a circuit which produces a pulse after reading say 4 pulses from the alternator sender and plumb the output into the digidash

this is a long shot, but you could potentially divide the battery voltage, to 5v. Then use 2 D-type Flip-flop (logic chips) to batter the signal down, so ever 4 pulses, it produces 1 pulse on it's output.

i know that you can half,half,half frequency of singals using d-types.

Aragorn, what signal is produced by a coil ?

to run a d-type you need a pretty square 0-5v jump. however, as long as the coil produced a 0 to + voltage at every pulse you could square wave rectify it using an op-amp.

it'd not take much room, and it's a full proof system, although i don't know what frequencies the chips respond to. it's usually something like 1 mhz frequencies.

maybe a far fetched idea, but it would work.

Nick
12-01-05, 06:39 PM
as long as aragorn could explain what singal is produced by a coil when it "pulses" i would deffo beable to work out a circuit.

5toprjepog
16-01-05, 04:02 PM
That has got be the longest way of doing it i dont wanna spend to long doing it