PDA

View Full Version : help!! with 1.6 gte head gasket

banny2k
03-01-05, 04:47 PM
I have just finished doin my head gasket for my 1.6 gte, well i think i have done it correctly. But it wont start. Now i have checked my spark plugs, there sparkin. The fuel is bein pumped through.

So am i safe to think thats its not the igniton system or fuel system then?

Have i missed anything that u need to do when doing a head gasket?

Any help or tips would be great cheers.

Oh yeah and the car turns over and sounds llike it wants to start but i dont even get a grumble

dunova
03-01-05, 05:15 PM
Sounds to me like you haven't plugged something back in, like the AFM or something. Or if you had an alarm/immobiliser it may need reseting or something?

m.d.
03-01-05, 06:26 PM
did you put the fuel lines back on the right way round,

banny2k
04-01-05, 12:11 AM
it cant be the fuel lines as i marked them up before is disconnected them and the engine was running fine before and the AFM is connected to. Any other ideas anyone?

burgo
04-01-05, 12:31 AM
have you rebuilt the head or just changed the gasket ??

dunova
04-01-05, 08:14 AM
Check ALL the electrical connections mate, because it sounds like your fueling and ignition are both fine and i think if you had done anything wrong when re-fitting the head it would run, but badly.

Stuart
04-01-05, 08:54 AM
alex's did that too. put togehter right but wouldnt fire.
it turend out to be the hydraulic tappets hadnt been drained and the valves werent closing to give compression.

he took ti to a garage to sort, so i have no idea how it was fixed without taking it appart.

Alex
04-01-05, 01:32 PM
I think the rocker cover was just taken off and you can get them out from there. Squeeze them out and then refit.

m.d.
04-01-05, 10:39 PM
I think the rocker cover was just taken off and you can get them out from there. Squeeze them out and then refit.

coopers sell a tool to do this.

rysmee
04-01-05, 11:12 PM
are you sure the timing is 100% correct to the exact tooth? and the belt tensioned correctly.
also remember if you took the dizzy out that has to go back in exactly the same place too.

Aragorn
05-01-05, 12:01 AM
i didnt touch lifters when i did my bro's head gasket and it was fine

when u say the fuel is coming thru - are the plugs getting wet?

when u say it sounds like it wants to start is it firing at all? any popping from the zorst? u may have the ignition leads on the wrong way round

i did this twice with my bros kept putting two on the wrong way round

ie 1-3-2-4 instead of 1-3-4-2 or whatever it actually is