PDA

View Full Version : legalities of a rear wiper and side repeaters.

Matt2107
03-01-05, 01:53 PM
Anyone know what the law is exactly on removing rear wiper blades.

I was under the impression that its not illegal.

Also side repeaters..... I'm getting mirrors with indicators in and I wanna remove the front side repeaters... This should be legal I think.

Cheers

burgo
03-01-05, 01:58 PM
you should be able to remove the rear wiper and side repeaters with no problem mate

Matt2107
03-01-05, 02:06 PM
Thanks burgo.... if the TAZ give me a ticket though or the nasty MOT b*stard wont pass me then I'll know where to come.

Cheers

Ricks
03-01-05, 02:08 PM
ur fine with both of them i passed my mot with out a back winder wiperin.
and as long as you have somthing on the side flashing when u indicate ure fine.
them mirrors are like mercs and there not illegal

General Baxter
03-01-05, 02:11 PM
and as long as you have somthing on the side flashing when u indicate ure fine.
them mirrors are like mercs and there not illegal

i dont and im fine :lol:

Matt2107
03-01-05, 02:12 PM
excellent.

The wiper is about to come off in the next 5 mins.

Philsutton
03-01-05, 02:31 PM
i dont have a rear wiper an i got away with that, an i get fu*ked over at all MOT's i have

Jack
03-01-05, 02:44 PM
Saloons don't have a rear wiper, and neither some some base model fiestas.

As for side repeaters, as long as there's an indicator somewhere on the side it should be ok. If its Mk2 its not quite such an issue as the indicator wraps round the wing slightly anyway.

Jim
03-01-05, 06:06 PM
If its Mk2 its not quite such an issue as the indicator wraps round the wing slightly anyway.

It depends on the MOT station. Some will allow it without question, some will be a bit of a pain until you explain that the indicators do actually wrap round enough.

Jim

R1CH
03-01-05, 11:47 PM
Isn't it just after a certain year you have to have side repeaters ?
My A reg (1983) beast ain't got any !

Rich

Jack
04-01-05, 01:16 AM
Ok. From MOT guide:

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986
These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens. (See information on following page

.... so I guess pre-86 don't require side repeaters, and that confirms the Mk2 wraparound theory. And to test it.....

Acceptable wrapround lens marking
Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

There is no mention of Pre-86 cars requiring side repeaters. Hence why ric's car doesn't have them.

epo
04-01-05, 11:44 AM
the rear wiper is not part of the mot as i put a non working yaris arm on mine and it passed

Matt Nova
04-01-05, 12:01 PM
mine didn't have a rear wiper to begin with and one of my repeaters dosen't work stupid l.e.d's