PDA

View Full Version : alloys.....

sickrabbit
02-01-05, 05:16 PM
peeps i,m a new driver with my beloved 1.2 j plate ( first car ) whos in good condition.....i,ve won a nice set of 15 inchers to replace the 13,s that came as standard...problems are mates tell me this will bugger up any true speed indication , giving a false speed , therefore in my county folks are getting pulled for 3-4 miles an hour over...
is there any truth that a wheel size increase will falsify my speedo ??
cheers and happy new year

Philsutton
02-01-05, 05:19 PM
it all depends on what profile the tyres are, it might work out that they have the same rolling circumference as the 13s

sickrabbit
02-01-05, 05:45 PM
cheers mate - theres nothing like being inexperienced in any matter - its embaressing...the tyres are Hankooks 195/50 R15s....
do you think this will alter my readings

most appreciative : :oops:

Ste L
02-01-05, 06:42 PM
should be ok, im guessing,

my 195/45/15's have got a smaller rollin radius than my standard 14's steels, so i think they should be fine

Nick
02-01-05, 07:18 PM
Standard nova clocks are rather innacurate anyways...

so it wont really matter because you'l already have an innacuracy to start of with

just slow down to 25mph in a 30mph speed camera e.t.c then you can be sure that your not getting a fasle reading (i doubt it'd be out by 5mph)

i've looked into calibrating them, but if you look on the dials the way it works is by a dodgy looking circular splaying spring. so i doubt they can be calibrated easily

sickrabbit
02-01-05, 07:53 PM
thanks guys....all i need now is the guy i,ve won these rims off to contact me by email regarding courier price......
should look the dogs when fitted ...may have to lower later... :wink: