PDA

View Full Version : any tips on removing steering wheel

nova ian
02-01-05, 02:15 PM
been pulling and hitting it for half an hour now and it aint budged! put wd40 around the spline area. just wont move!

can you get steering wheel pullers or do you have to make them??

any help appreciated. thanks ian

Ste L
02-01-05, 03:31 PM
when i took my mates of, i turned it to full lock, and just gave it a good tug, then just pulled it hard and pullin each side, came of quite easily

James B
02-01-05, 04:33 PM
they are a bit of a pig. i tried undoing the net then putting it back on slightly so the steering wheel doesnt smack you in the face when/if it does come off. then have a mate wiggle it about and using a drift give the centre a good old smack, obvsiouly ensuring you dont damage the nut or splines.

that failed.

next option was i managed to make up a two legged puller, the one i had was too big to fit in the holes so i modified it a bit and then it came off a treat.

James

Will
02-01-05, 05:14 PM
flick down the retaining things (nice way of putting it)

undo the bolt and put it back on 1 turn

hammer

twat it from the right twice pull

repeat until off

worked 3 times for me ;)

Nick
02-01-05, 09:52 PM
yep, just hit the centre shaft with a hammer whilst hooking your kneee behind the bottom of the wheel quite strongly (gives some pull) and it should pop off...

dan-hipgrave
02-01-05, 11:46 PM
www.draper.co.uk do a puller mate - i got one but it didnt fit too well, but i still managed to get the wheel off with it..

nova ian
03-01-05, 12:21 AM
thanks people, i am going to pop into a vauxhall garage and ask them if they will do it, rather than buying a puller.

cheers, ian

James B
04-01-05, 12:06 AM
thanks people, i am going to pop into a vauxhall garage and ask them if they will do it, rather than buying a puller.

cheers, ian

dont be gay, give it a go first mate. if your having no joy then fair enough but take some advice off the page and give it a go before resorting to spending your hard earned cash

James

nova ian
04-01-05, 02:27 AM
i gave it go and had no joy mate, had me and my dad pulling at it, hitting it, swearing at it and never budged. not going to spend money on a tool, just going to ask nicely if someone in the garage will do it with a puller :D

NovaGuy1400SRi
04-01-05, 10:48 AM
if youre not going to be using that steering wheel again, drill a series of holes in the centre of the boss, use around a 3.2mm bit and drill as close to the splines as possible without actually hitting them, it wont matter if you catch a few of the splines, then hit it with a hammer and it will come off easy, thats what my dad ended up doing with mine.

some1 said earlier to hit the centre of the column, DONT DO THAT, THE COLUMN IS COLLAPSIBLE IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT AND YOU WILL DAMAGE IT!

hope this helps, John.

dunova
04-01-05, 10:59 AM
TBH any kind of hitting or excessive force will damage the steering column-i know because i had to replace mine :lol:

In the end i just went to the vaux dealer on a saturday afternoon (which is when all the managers have gone home), had a chat with one of the mechanics and he happily picked up the proper pulling tool for it and had it off in seconds! Cost me absolutely nothing aswell (apart from a new column due to me bashing the sh!te out of it before going to vaux).

Matt Nova
04-01-05, 11:29 AM
i tried for ages beating the thing bent it in the end so gave up and took it to vauxhall ?10 later it was off and new one was on

Will
04-01-05, 01:21 PM
use my method :P

Novadex
14-01-05, 05:26 PM
yank the f***er! it took me bout hour an half to get mine off, so yo got an hour left! but watch out coz you might smak yourself in the fase (that aint good) :o