PDA

View Full Version : 1.3L 298bhp Challange

sTuDeNt
01-01-05, 10:40 PM
Well, how possible is it to get Mazda RX8 rotary engine in to a nova? Can you only imagine the advantages! :twisted:

Anyone up for a challange? :?:

crash_ndie
01-01-05, 10:44 PM
:o hahah tell me when ya done it i want a go !

nathan.
01-01-05, 10:47 PM
:lol: :lol:

how much money u got?

Chris_W
01-01-05, 10:48 PM
YAWN!

Anything is possible given enough time and money. I know someone that would do it for you, but if you need to ask how much he'd charge.....

Chris

Nick
02-01-05, 12:15 AM
oooooooooooooooooooooooh rotary !

they sound impressive, but i dunno.... there's something a bit fishy about them

sTuDeNt
02-01-05, 12:23 AM
I wasnt saying I want one and in any case I wont be able to afford it as I am just a student. Its pure interest really if it is possible and just as a metter of interest how much would that cost?

Nick
02-01-05, 12:36 AM
well... if you got an old engine out of an RX8 or something, they probably wouldn't cost that much....

then you have to find a way to mount it e.t.c which wouldn't be TOO hard. Seeing as phils putting a v8 in his lol.

then to tune/repair/maintain it would cost a fortune.

also, i was under the impression that the v.powerful versions of the rotary engines had more than 1 rotor,

Jack
02-01-05, 12:41 AM
RX-7 engine would probably be the better choice as they'll be cheaper I'd have thought.

Chris_W
02-01-05, 01:09 AM
Ok quick break down for you from a fabricators view point. Take running gear from donor car (in this case an RX8) strip down the nova, as RX 8 is RWD, they'd cut the whole central tunnel out, lift the running gear into position, then make up mounts for the axle, engine box etc. Then they'd mount the suspension and other associated outboard bits and bobs, then you measure up and get custom driveshafts and propshaft made, and there you go, it's pyhsically mounted in your car. Then you just need your eletronics degree to sort out all the ECU junk and you have a truly unique car. As you can see, paying someone to do this will be very labour intensive, as it will all be one of fabrication, and this is what takes the time. If you could do the work yourself then it would be cheap, but personally for how good my welding skills are I wouldn't trust myself to make a coat stand, let alone a car that would be able to do 160mph+

Chris

novalew
02-01-05, 01:28 AM
if i remember correctly dont most rx7 driver turbocharge their engines to get big power and dont the rotarys need a full service every 10k

sTuDeNt
02-01-05, 01:38 AM
RX8 has two rotors.

It does sound like a hell of a job and there is no way my skills are up for it! However if someone here will be attempting to do this sort of thing then I HAVE COPY RIGHTS! :!: :D 8)
RX7 Engine is a cheaper alternative!

rednova
02-01-05, 10:59 AM
i think the rx7 and rx8 s have got 2 rotors and im sure it equates to a 2.6 (twin rotary)

if im wrong let me know as its just what ive heard

oh you have to change the oil every 2000 miles!!!!!

morrie
02-01-05, 11:18 AM
the good old Wankel engine!

DrivingSpanner
02-01-05, 11:57 AM
rotary race engine build (from new) in the states is $2000 (yes dollors!!) i looked into it a while back for something at work, the biggest problem with the wankel engine (it propper name) is the seals wearing (like piston rings), im told that the apexi made ones are good tho!!!! cheap engine power really!!!! just over ?1k for 300BPH is damn good!!!!

Philsutton
02-01-05, 12:44 PM
sounds like a good idea, but in my opinion would cost to much for parts.

GT-Dub
02-01-05, 01:42 PM
If u wana get some power from a 1.3 head in the direction of a Polo G40.

sTuDeNt
02-01-05, 04:21 PM
You cant talk, you biased! :lol:
As for two rotors both of them together comes to 1.3L rather then 2.6 as this is in oficial specs on Mazda web site. Mazda engines are apex onse and they seem to be reliable (so as they say).
Just imagine insurance advantages as you will only be driving 1.3 :twisted:
Now parts will probably be an issue as they will be damn expensive, and not many people will be able to do it!

Chris_W
02-01-05, 04:39 PM
Insurance companies know exactly what a rotary is, and so do the government. Every imported RX7 has to be registered as a 2.6, because of the performance. Dodgy as fuck, but basically another way the government screw us, the law abiding driver!
The RX8 engine has been redesigned and uses a new design of seal on the rotor tips, and these are supposed to be alot harder wearing, plus they can also be fitted to the RX7 come rebuild time (Which if you get luck is about 80-90K miles). The rotary gets a bad name for the same reason as the R5GTT. Basically people use the wrong mods, and it causes the car to run lean and this leads to an early death of the engine!
As for not many people prepared to do the work, you'd be surprised how many places would take this work on, but the thing is you need to have a cheque book to back it up. Look up race car fabricators, and you'll get a nice long list of people ready and waiting to empty your bank account of it's contents :lol:

Chris