PDA

View Full Version : Tights as air filters?!

dunova
01-01-05, 07:49 PM
I've just got the trumpets for my twin 40's, so my k&n's are now redundant. As i can't be bothered to get new air filters (i was thinking a one piece foam filter) and i was told i could just use tights over the trumpets, is this a good idea?

I've been told that they will filter the air enough and give maximum air flow-i know they won't look great though! Has anyone else heard of people doing this?

I also can't even find a one piece foam air filter :roll:

crash_ndie
01-01-05, 08:41 PM
am running 40's at the mo an id defo get a proper filter the amount of air them feckers drag in u dont want any crap getting in the jets also they could burn easy if ya carb spits go with the foam or k&n's coz they look the dogs bollicks

dunova
01-01-05, 08:48 PM
Okay cheers mate, don't want them catching on fire or anything!

I think i'll keep looking for a one piece foam filter, does anyone know where i could get one? I've looked on demon tweeks and webercarbs and done a search on google but no luck :roll:

maxpaine
01-01-05, 08:55 PM
i i have a BMW 2002 alpina and haver the trumpets on the carbs but a found a metal net fior theme is you ty to put some filter on it its the same as not having the trumpets.

Stuart
01-01-05, 09:06 PM
yeah, try tea strainer mesh.

although a friend of mine had these on his corolla rally car on TB's and then removed the strainers and got 12bhp extra with no other changes lol.

he then ran rallys in dusty conditions etc with no filters at all and had no excessive bore wear etc.

swings and roundabouts really.

ITG do a one piece filter and so do pipercross.
its not a nova specific filter that your after. just measure the width of the carb area and get a filter to fit that arear. all you have to do is cut the backing plate to suit

dunova
01-01-05, 09:11 PM
I've seen some mesh covers for the trumpets but the gap in the mesh looks like it'd only filter out large stones lol.

I'll have a look on the ITG and pipercross site then thanks. TBH it is quite tempting to not use any filters :|

maxpaine
01-01-05, 09:14 PM
if you try silk??

dunova
01-01-05, 09:20 PM
Silk? Do you know anyone that has used silk? Did it perform well?

nova_rally
01-01-05, 11:25 PM
K&N do what they call "Filter Socks" for Weber intake trumpets, theyre basically a foam tea cosy over your trumpet. Look ok but they are foam so will be crap filtering compared with a proper cotton filter, but better than tights by a mile!

dunova
02-01-05, 12:08 PM
I thought foam filters were supposed to be superior to cotton filters? I read that they give better air flow and filter just as well?

I've also been told that filter socks create some turbulence in the air flow and should be avoided!!!

Maybe i shouldn't believe everything i'm told and just try stuff for myself :?

benji
02-01-05, 12:56 PM
i got one offf ebay for ?20 althought it doesn't have the holes in the backplate. they are always on ebay