PDA

View Full Version : Seized handbrake ! - urgent help

Nick
01-01-05, 06:44 PM
hello

discovered the hanbrake has siezed. Cable hasn't snapped and is fine. Just the drums that have sized up.

I've tried rocking the car back n forth, reverse then first, and giving it some wellie, but they're stuck fast. due to the gravel area flooding, my car then sank about 6 inches into the ground. :| :?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_0593.jpg

All i've been advised to do is give the drums a twat with a hammer from the insides (as in the spring side), failing that get someone to toe the car and see if it'l free them up.

has anyone got any other advice ? as i don't wanna be stripping the drums down !

General Baxter
01-01-05, 07:32 PM
toe it out on to 'real' flooring and floor the car :lol:

Jack
01-01-05, 07:35 PM
Mine did this after I'd let it sit for a while, found that if i gave the car a hefty shove from behind with the handbrake off (thats on a steady surface, not gravel!) it freed up.

mowgli
01-01-05, 07:36 PM
Hi, if the brakes are seized on, then passing a metal bar thru the spokes of the wheel until it touchs the drum and them giving it a decent whack with a hammer should do the trick.

Aragorn
01-01-05, 07:40 PM
it will probably free off by iself if u get it onto a surface with decent traction

can u tow it onto the tarmac?

Nick
01-01-05, 07:46 PM
yer i should be able to... hopefully it'l free up

failing that, am i right in thinking that if i try turning the adjusting bolts on the drums, it'l free up the connection between Shoe and drum, then try stripping the drum ? if so, that doesn't sound too complicated !

it has new rear brakes,wheel cylinders, handbrake e.t.c done for the MOT recently, so hopefully it's not a siezed cylinder !

The photo's are decieving, the skirts are touching the gravel, but i'm getting reasonable traction as i've gone through the gravel, top soil, and now i'm onto some previous tarma (which i never knew was there) Bonus

Jack
01-01-05, 08:00 PM
The photo's are decieving, the skirts are touching the gravel, but i'm getting reasonable traction as i've gone through the gravel, top soil, and now i'm onto some previous tarma (which i never knew was there) Bonus

Give it another day or so and he'll be in Holden land :lol:

Nick
01-01-05, 08:03 PM
after i'd gone through about 2 inches of gravel, i got out, and as i was getting out, the car just sunk through the mud

the "top soil" is like a slushy water, as theres no drain and it floods everytime it rains !

my mates offered to tow me out onto the road in his clio..... but i don't want to add insult to my injury. lol

crash_ndie
01-01-05, 08:34 PM
right go out side and knock crap out of the drums with a bar and a hammer it will work !

put the bar tho the wheel on 2 the side of the drum not on the wheel face give it a few heavy smacks and ull hear a ping ad my 2nd car stood well over year n half works every time

Nick
01-01-05, 08:42 PM
yep someones sed that the shoes catch on a groove inside the drum ?

or something along those lines.

I'l try giving it a twat tommorow, because it's wayy to windy and cold now.