PDA

View Full Version : master cylinder and servo

benji
31-12-04, 12:45 AM
i'm getting some bigger brakes and will need to upgrade the master cylinder and servo, i have the 1.2 gear at the mo, what should i go for? i don't want to spend a fortune on rally spec stuff. and i'm not too keen on doing the corsa one, unless someone can talk me through it and it is miles better

cheers

ben

Riggy
31-12-04, 12:50 AM
just gor for the gte/gsi stuff ben , have never heard anythin bad about it

Nova_Newbie
31-12-04, 01:51 AM
if I remember right someone here told me that it was the GSI or GTE that had the different servo the mastercylinders are the same throughout. As riggy said.

benji
31-12-04, 10:19 AM
it's the bigger master cylinder that i want. all a servo does is make it eaiser to press the pedal. a bigger master cylinder would stop a sogg pedal when i get the some 4 pot's

Aragorn
31-12-04, 10:40 AM
big block astras and some cavs without abs have a 22.2mm master cylinder which is supposed to go directly onto the standard nova stuff

benji
31-12-04, 11:02 AM
thanks for that, i'm going down the scrappes now

cheers

ben.

benji
31-12-04, 12:58 PM
i got a master cylinder from a 1.8i cav. it's the same shape as a nova one but it dont say what size it is

Nova_Newbie
31-12-04, 03:56 PM
I got a mastercylinder off an 1.8 SRI cav a while back, I didn't fit it when I did the brake upgrade cos evryone told me that they were the same, only the servo on the GTE/GSI was different. Is it worth fitting it then?

CP
31-12-04, 08:34 PM
um what makes a master cylinder more effective? is it the internal bore or is it a combination of servo and mechanical leverage applied to the piston? I would have thought that you would need to combine a bigger servo with the new master cylinder and that in any event the leverage applied would be the deciding factor? Just thinking out loud? And anyway isnt the key issue the size of the discs and brakes? Maybe try the new brakes first and add the new master cylinder as and when required?

Nova_Newbie
01-01-05, 08:51 PM
brakes were in and fitted a month or so back, MUCH better, jus wondered if they could be improved on, as you say i would've thought a combination of the two.

crash_ndie
01-01-05, 09:08 PM
ya want sum 2.0 16v astra disk pads and calipers m8 use a gte/gsi sevo and master. i payed bout 50 for the lot and u can feel the diference on the standaed astra disk n pads....

am using that set up with black diamond pads n disk's and good ridge braded lines :D

p.s no point aving a beter master with out having the servo 2 push the fecker

Stuart
01-01-05, 09:11 PM
im 98% sure benji has the 256mm ATE (from astra/cav) brakes at the mo.

get the larger master cylinder. sort the plumbing our nicely and then maybe spot for some larger calipers (i know of a 284mm set somewhere ;) just needs the discs and pads)

Nova_Newbie
01-01-05, 10:15 PM
silly question I know, the size of the brakes is measured by the dia of the disc?
I'm not sure if I made a big improvement fitting the 1.8 SRi cav ones, they work better but didn't seem physically much bigger, the old ones weren't vented as these are.

:?: Also the car shakes like hell when u brake at 40mph but fine at all other speeds, thought the discs may be warped, any ideas?

crash_ndie
01-01-05, 10:43 PM
2 b honest anythink is better than the nova originals there a bag of shit. i used 2 crap my self when i got in mine after driving the transit van!

vented are better as they keep the disk cooler the feel beter coz uve changed the caliper. biger r best !

as for shaking check all bolts on em an change the disk n pads only bout 40 for em all not worth fucking bout with

benji
02-01-05, 02:20 AM
i'm 98% sure benji has the 256mm ATE (from astra/cav) brakes at the mo.

get the larger master cylinder. sort the plumbing our nicely and then maybe spot for some larger calipers (i know of a 284mm set somewhere ;) just needs the discs and pads)

i'v got a bigger master cylinder and i need to speak to you about plumbing :wink:
i'm gonna order a set of wilwood 4 pot's as soon as rally design open next week. (probably tuesday) getting the 256mm disc's for now as i don't think the 280mm's will fit behind my gay wheels