PDA

View Full Version : My car's got Parkinsons!!

boredbloke
30-12-04, 01:06 PM
:o Help!!! :o

My car shakes betweeen 45 and 60 mph why???? :?

I've put new wheels on could iot be the wrong offset etc??

Cheers All

Matt2107
30-12-04, 01:23 PM
I had that problem.

I pinned it down to the fact that once i drove my car straight over a kurb in a tescos car park at 30mph after losing it in the rain.

Buckled alloys.

boredbloke
30-12-04, 01:27 PM
Was the buckle visable??

cos i far as i know the wheels are fine??

Jack
30-12-04, 01:36 PM
Could be buckled wheel (may not be visible, go get a tyre place to check it), unbalanced wheel, possibly suspension, or wheel cylinder & bearings - my ex's Cav wobbled like mad when her rear wheel cylinder went kaput. Then the wheel fell off. :lol:

dunova
30-12-04, 01:46 PM
Before you look into any serious problems, just check if your wheels are balanced-very common problem at around 50mph.

Ste L
30-12-04, 01:48 PM
cound be the tracking aswell, that reminds me, gotta get mine done asap :?

dunova
30-12-04, 01:50 PM
My tracking was recently out by quite a lot. I wore my front tyre's badly on the inside and the car cornered like sh*t, but i never had any wheel wobble/vibration.

Nick
30-12-04, 06:38 PM
Sounds like Tracking, the steering wheel shakes at only certain times when your tracking it out.

could be buckled wheels, but i doubt it if they're new. take it to a wheel place and get em to spin it and see if it's buckled.

Bearings , if it's bearings you'l be hearing a whirring/humming/rubbing noise when cornering especially

and it could also be balancing, check if it's got some balancing weights on them, if not, get them balanced at a wheel place.

Ste L
30-12-04, 06:44 PM
Sounds like Tracking, the steering wheel shakes at only certain times when your tracking it out.

thats what i though, cos i've just lowered mine, and it shakes, didn't shake before i lowered it, need to get mine sorted next week

sTuDeNt
30-12-04, 08:18 PM
Ballancing is the most likely be the problem!
I had it on my nova with original wheels but when I put alloys on it and got it ballanced right it all went away!

Jack
31-12-04, 01:00 AM

thats what i though, cos i've just lowered mine, and it shakes, didn't shake before i lowered it, need to get mine sorted next week

lol mine shook before I lowered it, now it doesn't :lol:

az_e11
31-12-04, 06:50 PM
I had a very similar prob m8, found out that the kiddy who put my alloys on didint fit any wheel spigots rings, got a set of them, and put them on, problem solved

I posted up a while back and got the following responses:
Wheel spigots - These are like a small rubber ring that goes on your hub and alloy (if u got alloys) my wheels made the wheel shake alot untill i put spigots on, all they do is ensure a flush fitting onto the hub.

If its not that than here are other solutions m8
Tracking - Hav you hit any rocks or pothole or kirbs ? get your tracking checked because if it's out your wheel will wobble and your tyres will wear unevenly and quickly

Wheel balancing - If u got alloys or new wheels then get the balanced if they havn't been done so,

Wheel bearing - when my wheel bearing was going on the front, it made the wheel wobble, but this was a more general wobble and more of a vibration or shake. You can tell if they're out cos you'l hear a rubbing/whirring sound comeing from one of your wheels when you turna certain way.

Worn inner CV joints - Worn inner cv joints or dmamaged driveshafts can cause the wheel to shake - i'd have thought this would also be a more general wobble

Warped Disks - Warped disks can cause real bad wheel wobble, but especially when braking

think that's most things i ca think off, i've literally had all these things checked and now it's cv joint/driveshaft problems

go to a trye centre and they shud check you tracking for free, i had mine laser aligned, after u done that dont kerb ur car

Hope that helps
8)