PDA

View Full Version : 2.0ltr 8v or 16v - how hard is the wiring

Nova_Newbie
30-12-04, 11:18 AM
I've been thinking about going from a 1.6 to 2ltr, if anyone has read any of my posts I HATE WIRING. I can do/get help with the welding on the engine bay but I have a few questions. My current setup is carbed 1.6 SV engine on a 1991 Nova spin with the original loom.

1) is the wiring for a 16v hard? I've been told the WHOLE loom in the car needs to be changed!
2) is it worth putting a 16v lump in on carbs if the wiring is too difficult for fuel injection?
3) on the welding they guy who's helping has looked at some of the pics of other engine bays and said something about being careful welding high tensile steel as this can cause the metal to crack is this right?

The wiring is the main reason I don't want to go turbo or injection, if there's anyone in the essex area who'd be up for helping on the wiring I'd be willing to pay, this is a future project I'm considering for summer 2005 and I'm just trying to figure out which way to go.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Philsutton
30-12-04, 11:35 AM
There are a bout 4 wires you need to chop out the engine loom into the cars if your sticking with injection. If you go for twin carbs then the only wiring you will need into your original loom will be starter motor and alternater

Nova_Newbie
30-12-04, 06:15 PM
??? I thought you needed an ecu and loads of other sensors etc to get the fuel injection working. My car had a 1ltr engine with a normal carb no single point injection so I thought there was ten tons of wiring, the guy who did the 1.6 for me said I'd have to replace practiclly the whole car wiring loom not just the engine wiring loom in order to get fuel injection.

LiamGTE
30-12-04, 07:37 PM
Nah u keep the CAR loom which does ur dash n crap, but both them engines come with almost identicle looms for the ENGINE.

Basically drill a hole behind the battery and feed the loom in and put the ecu inside the car, and it is about 4 wires, very easy

Nova_Newbie
30-12-04, 08:01 PM
I am gutted... the guy I went to for the engine & fitting, a vauxhall breakers, said as well as the welding on the engine bay the whole loom would need to be replaced and it just wasn't worth it.

With my HATE of wiring I went for the 1.6 option with him doing the wiring, I just wish I had found novaload BEFORE getting the modding bug, would probly have a nice 2ltr 16v instead of the 1.6 8v!

OK, I'm thinking of the summer rebuild, what engine say 2ltr would be the easiest to transplant? with the 4 wires and an ECU I think with evryones help I could do it.

Philsutton
31-12-04, 12:38 AM
change the whole loom, wtf is he on about. The engine comes with a loom of its own with ecu all you do is join this to your car loom which isnt many wires at all

Nova_Newbie
31-12-04, 01:48 AM
I'm now looking for a astra gte, cav sri or similar with C20XE red top engine so I can cut the lot out, wished I'd known before.

cheers for the help