PDA

View Full Version : changing brake pads and discs

1400isri
30-12-04, 10:53 AM
I know im going to sound like an idiot, but just got a nova sri and i need to change the front pads and discs. Is it an easy job? is there a step by step guide anywhere? i dont have a haynes manual so any help is greatly appreciated! cheers, Rich

CP
30-12-04, 12:10 PM
Jack the car up and get a front wheel off. Stick a large screwdrive in between the pads and the disc and lever them as far off as they will go. You should be able to push the piston a fair way in giving 5-10mm clearance. Undo the caliper so it can be removed from the hub. Remove the pads. Theres a posidrive screw in the middle of the disc which screws the disc bell to the hub. Give it some smart clouts with a smallish hammer. Then using a large posidrive screwdriver unscrew it and the disc can be removed. Re-fittin is the reverse. put some copper grease on the rear of the pads to stop brake squealing. Dont get it on the wearing part of the pads!

You'd be best advised to buy a haynes. Very useful for newbies!

1400isri
30-12-04, 12:33 PM
its undoing the caliper that im having the problem with, do i just use an allen key and undo the two sliders?

Nova_Newbie
30-12-04, 06:32 PM
when pushing the calipers apart keep an eye on the brake fluid reservoir under the bonnet, by opening the caliper and pushing the piston in the fluid being pushed out of the pistons might overflow the reservoir.

To undo the calipers its probably worth popping down to your local car spares shop and picking up the right allen bolt or hex drive I think they call them (10 or 11mm) to fit your socket set, I used a 'T' bar with a bloody great length of pipe slid over the end to make the job easier 1 little tweak and the bolts came out easy.