PDA

View Full Version : No spark at plug - need help

Nova_Newbie
29-12-04, 08:21 PM
Went round my mates today to fit my new alarm and finish the central locking, tried to start the car when we finished but nothing, dried the plugs as I'd flooded it and checked the spark before putting the plugs back in, nothing. We tested the power to the coil and everything seems fine, just no spark! I had to leave the car there in a not so nice part of the world and take all my tools ICE etc out to stop the theiving chavs having my gear away.

I have no idea on wiring so I paid someone to fit the engine and do the wiring for me, the engine came from a 1990 Astra 1.6 there's a bunch of wires coming from the distributor and going to a 60mm wide flat plug, the coil has a similar socket underneath it. Trouble is the tw*t I got to do the engine change has left all the old wiring behind and the 60mm plug has some wires just cut going nowhere and anothers still wired into it. The plug was unplugged from the socket on the coil so as there were already 2 wires going to the coil we left it unplugged, does this need to be plugged in? (don't want to blow anything)
Part of the install involved removing both headights to get to the wiring, the coil sits behind the NS headlight so I'm not sure if we dislodged the plug when we removed the headlight. I didn't want to connect the plug back up incase it blew the ignition or coil.

If anyone can help I'd be well happy, I wanted to get the alarm fitted before driving to work on Tuesday in Tottenham which is a bloody dodgy area.

Adam
29-12-04, 10:58 PM
Are you getting a spark from the coil lead.
Are you putting the lead/plug close enough to the engine block, if its too far away it won't spark.

Nova_Newbie
30-12-04, 02:38 AM
no spark from the coil lead, there is power to the coil . The crank sensor is connected OK and yes we tried earthing the spark plug on the engine in several places and tried various leads and plugs to be sure, my mate said that the coil checked out ok, we're just not sure if the bit under the coil is the electronic ignition and if the wide plug should be plugged in or not.

cheers

Nova_Newbie
30-12-04, 11:05 AM
Just spoke to the chav that did the wiring, he said that the sockety underneath the coil was the ignition system, therefore the plug coming from the dizzy does need to be plugged in! Just got my mate to try and it fired up 1st time.

Woo hoo, can get my car from the dodgy area an get it home safe.