PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v

novalew
29-12-04, 08:04 PM
Is anyone on here running a 1.6 16v corsa b gsi engine?

What kind of power is possible from them? At what cost?

Im probably annoying everyone but im collecting info on whats available to me

(it is my first car and i have to think about insurance)

1400_sri
29-12-04, 10:39 PM
yeh mate ive got a 1.6 16v in my nova

ive done quite abit of work to it, so far ive rebuilt it with apr conrod bolts, and mahle pistons, mantzel inlet manifold, blitz stanless induction cone, powerflow full stainless exhaust, superchip to raise rev limit to 7250 rpm

i dont now how much power its got think about 130bhp and that a complete guess, oh and it is pulls much quicker than my mates nova gsi.

im 18 with 1 years NCB and i pay 1550 fully comp

peester
30-12-04, 12:21 AM
^sounds good.. just remember though that the 1.6 16v is a very electronic engine; loads of sensors, valves etc.. bit more to go wrong than ol' skool j series.. it does have more tuning potential though as its so restricted in std form. 8 valve j series tends to have more low end / off the mark torque though..i think.lol

Stuart
30-12-04, 09:28 AM
if your feeling flush you can get 200+ bhp from one.

CP
30-12-04, 12:01 PM
(it is my first car and i have to think about insurance)

Its good to have ambitious ideas but a 1.6 16V as a first car? I dont know what quotes you got or how wealthy you are but you may find that even if you can get insured, the costs will be prohibitive?

You maybe better to rein in your plans, start off with 1.0 or 1.2l for a year or so, get some drivin experience under your belt, some idea of what drivin actually costs and some no claims bonus and then go for it?

1.6 16v is a relatively expensive engine to tune although its capable of big power. 200hp isnt gonna come for much less than ?3-4K and maybe a fair bit more.

novalew
30-12-04, 01:24 PM
i know my insurance will be high but im willing to pay it as i cantface the dreaded comments of "your car looks nice but youve got a 1.2 U CHAV!!!!"

I will probably keep it standard for the first year with a few choice mods like an air filter and de-cat.

Until i can afford throttle bodies!!

then when im bored and a bit older i will progress to the "LET" :twisted: :twisted:

I was going to do it straight off but realised its an impossible feat!!
Oh well im only 21 so ive got some years left yet :) :) 8) 8)

peester
30-12-04, 02:11 PM
cleanliness is the new go faster mod; to have a mint car as a first car is better, more respect, different, uncommon than tryin to get as much speed/power out of a tatty first car. in my opinion. no one will laff if its mega clean and tidy for its age etc.. then u got a good basis to engine convert into at a later date. its a fact of life the ol' small engine-first car thing. live with it.

ANDYRACER
30-12-04, 03:39 PM
You want to put a 1.4 sr engine in it rebuild it and clean it up run t40s and then u have a bit of power and an engine that looks quality and fair priced insurance ive seen 120 bhp out of a sr engine and the gsi 1.6 16v is only running 109bhp

novalew
30-12-04, 05:25 PM
cleanliness is the new go faster mod; to have a mint car as a first car is better, more respect, different, uncommon than tryin to get as much speed/power out of a tatty first car. in my opinion. no one will laff if its mega clean and tidy for its age etc.. then u got a good basis to engine convert into at a later date. its a fact of life the ol' small engine-first car thing. live with it.

i understand that mate but the people i kick it with are 5gtt and rst owners i know the 1.6 wont keep up but it will do better than the 1.2 i have in now

Philsutton
30-12-04, 06:01 PM
dont be a chav a but a big engine when you dont know how to drive. It pisses me off when someone is driving road in high powered car as a first car, crashes it then says that the car is shit. You need experience over anything else

kiv_tuning
30-12-04, 08:27 PM
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Taper%20Kits/TP164_Kit/TP164_Kit.htm
This is the best kit for the 1.6 16v engine on the market. Unless U want a turbo... 8)

novalew
31-12-04, 06:06 PM
dont be a chav a but a big engine when you dont know how to drive. It p**s me off when someone is driving road in high powered car as a first car, crashes it then says that the car is s**t. You need experience over anything else

i understand what your saying phil but its not like i want to rag my car all over the place, its just for when i go to cruises and shows more than anything, if i hadnt done the bodywork i wouldnt get a bigger engine mate.

mad-driver
01-01-05, 08:19 PM
dont go for bigger engined cars yet mate, listen to everyone they know what they are talking about. Try and get yourself a nice SR if you like, thats an alternative and the insurance shouldnt be too bad if you pick insurers wisely. I'm 18, and have a 1400 SR and only pay 940 FC.

Oh and dont worry about what people think about your car everyone has to start somewhere

Nick
01-01-05, 08:29 PM
erm on your feature it says "?80 scrapyard fodder"

Are you sure the car is really rustfree/worth enough to go spending money on putting a 1.6 16v in ? and then tuning it !

it's not my cup of tea either, and it doesn't look like it's cost you massive amounts to do up. Personally i'd say quit your losses (keep your wheels) and buy a Nova SRi or another type of car.

I drive a 1.2, and i could have my 1.6 in now.. but i don't have a problem with "kicking it" with friends who have faster cars, safe in the knowledge that mines isn't made of rust.

Stuart
01-01-05, 08:52 PM
i had a 1.2 for 5 years. didnt phase me much about the fact that it was slow, nifact now i relish the idea of a 1.2's fuel economy lol

just run the 1.2 for a year or two to get your insurance down. and then when you step up to a better powered vehicle then you will appreciate it far more and have the experience to make use of it properly. ie the 1.2 might not go fat top end but you can perfect the art of getting round bends quick etc ;) that will hold you in good steed for later on with a quicker car.

theres no rush to get a quick car. youve got all your life to get fast ones :D

novalew
01-01-05, 11:17 PM
erm on your feature it says "?80 scrapyard fodder"

Are you sure the car is really rustfree/worth enough to go spending money on putting a 1.6 16v in ? and then tuning it !

it's not my cup of tea either, and it doesn't look like it's cost you massive amounts to do up. Personally i'd say quit your losses (keep your wheels) and buy a Nova SRi or another type of car.

I drive a 1.2, and i could have my 1.6 in now.. but i don't have a problem with "kicking it" with friends who have faster cars, safe in the knowledge that mines isn't made of rust.

My car was in a bad condition but since ive had it it has been strengthened bay and around the body were needed and the bay has been restrengthed to accomodate a bigger engine.

And without sounding nasty my car has cost me in the region of 3000 so far and thats not including bodyshop costs as it has been done by myself

Nick
02-01-05, 12:17 AM
right fair enough then.. you obviously have spent some fair cash on it.

still, you may as well wait tho.... your friends aren't great friends if they think less of you because you drive a 1.2

novalew
02-01-05, 12:20 AM
i suppose i know u lot are right i just want my car to be as modified under the bonnet as it is on the body