PDA

View Full Version : Thailand Disaster

?Marty?
29-12-04, 04:14 PM
What do you all think about this Tsunami?

Are you even bothered? Why? Know anyone there?

It's fuckin crazy! 70K dead already, with it likely to go up to 100K people! Crazy.

burgo
29-12-04, 04:22 PM
made no difference to me so i dont care

?Marty?
29-12-04, 04:26 PM
What do you think of the UK governments pledge of ?15 million aid? Is it enough? Not enough? Should they use it for other things? Should they give more?

Fester
29-12-04, 04:29 PM
First time I saw it on the news there was about 2k being quoted as the figure :!:

The video footage of the waves doesn't even look that bad :? must be the washing of debris/objects that causes the most problems. The reason I think that is because the area you would think would be worst hit in terms of death is the Maldives and it isn't - a few people dragged out to sea but they have nothing there to get washed about and cause damage. The other places which are little more than shanty towns just get washed up. That's my theory anyway. Was in Sri Lanka a few years ago :o and my dads just set off out to the region for a holiday :lol: best go after than before I suppose.

There were massive floods at Morecambe Bay where boats ended up in peoples' gardens etc a few years ago but nothing like that. the again our buildings etc are built properly. I think half of the problem with hurricane disasters in America is the shite quality of building they choose to adopt, flimsy bit's of wood etc.

Anyway unlucky to those that got caught, well played to those that survived.

Rach
29-12-04, 04:30 PM
i do feel extremely sorry for them, as i would for anyone...

this kind of natural disaster is unfathomable to most people.

but at the end of the day, i cant make a great difference, so i havent been glued to sky news.

Fester
29-12-04, 04:33 PM
What do you think of the UK governments pledge of ?15 million aid? Is it enough? Not enough? Should they use it for other things? Should they give more?

The Western world's taxpayers pay for everyone else in normal times and times of disaster anyway :?

Harsh but fair to say they didn't want to invest in a solution to give notice against this happening. They 'save' money by not buying but Western governments pay for the aftermath as a direct result of their cost saving.

?Marty?
29-12-04, 04:39 PM
I blame the media. They should just 'ignore' the fact, and keep us all ignorant to it. Ignorance is bliss.

Also they should just write off the Third World Debt and call it quits. NO WAY are they EVER going to pay it back.

Infact, i will try and buy it. lol

Fester
29-12-04, 04:43 PM
I don't think they should cancel it; they borrowed it, they should pay it back. The only way that's going to happen is a global free trade agreements where no governments/bodies offer subsidies (don't get me started on the CAP*, oh, I already have) and there are no import/export tariffs. Then we might actually get some money back as the debt doesn't really mean anything if there's no chance of it coming back.

*Duke of Westminster worth ?4.9billion and gets ?1000 a day of CAP money. With the recent dropping of subsidies being linked to production this brings up the prospect of the money being paid to him for leaving his land empty and unused :?

Back to the Tsunami stuff anyway...

Stoo
29-12-04, 06:27 PM
Please dont be disrespectful peeps!!

I know it doesnt matter to you lot but my dads out there!! he has a yacht in phuket harbour, i havent heard from him yet!
he said he wud call on boxing day! nothing yet! I live in hope!

jon_boy
29-12-04, 06:32 PM
i do believe the uk governemt has only pledged 1.5 million to aid. which considering we pay that a year for people in the armed forces to have breast reductions (the females of course) it is pittance. A friend of mine and my girlfriends is out there somewhere at the moment and no one has heard from her. its wierd when things like that hit home and actually effect you.

?Marty?
29-12-04, 06:36 PM
That's just is. Due to movies and etc, people are desensitised to actual events. It's very difficult for anyone to care unless they can personally relate or are somehow personally affected by a tragedy.

Otherwise it's 'just like a film'.

srs1
29-12-04, 06:38 PM
it is a massive disaster in its own right, 8.9 on the ricther scale is a pretty massive earth quake to have started it all off.

i dont think people are trying to be dis-respectful.
marty is only asking what peoples opnion's are the subjuect.
as for your farther, i hope that he phones home soon and is in good health.

jon_boy
29-12-04, 06:45 PM
and there will be worse to come. many more will suffer because of sanitation etc. i think that the actual event will only be the cause of a fraction of the final amount of dead

Nick
29-12-04, 07:29 PM
I would donate some money to them

but i've already donated a very reasonable sum this christmas to a local charity that looks after kids with brain damage.

but, everyone else, don't be stingey and send some money

anyone have a website adress/info about aid for it ?

Nick
29-12-04, 07:33 PM
and there will be worse to come. many more will suffer because of sanitation etc. i think that the actual event will only be the cause of a fraction of the final amount of dead

yes, alot of people in the area will die in the aftershock.. the reasons are endless

Lack of medical Supplies
Lack of Access to hopsitals
Lack of access to safe drinking water
Lack of rescuers
Lack of food
Lack of shelter (especially in the cases of another similar small scale event reoccuring in the next few days)
Spread of Disease/ilness ......

Rach
29-12-04, 10:21 PM
hey,

here's a link to the donations page for the thailand tsunami disaster:

www.dec.org.uk

wisewood
29-12-04, 11:35 PM
A guy here at work calculated last night that in india - it would only take the 4 days to get back 100k people as they have about 27k new births every day.

Mel has a couple of cousins out there at the moment, but they're ok... they were going to go visit the place that was worst hit the following day.

?Marty?
30-12-04, 12:15 AM
My friends gf has work colleagues there, whom she's not heard from.

A guy from work just returned from there a week ago. HOW lucky was he!

Anyway, hope your friends and relatives and etc are all ok.

PS - To help, i offer to take into my home a family of 4 thai sisters. And maybe even their brother, if he has nice breasts.

Stuart
30-12-04, 09:40 AM
its nature. get over it.

like the earth quakes in san francisco etc. its not like a war did it, so tehcnically its "ok"

wisewood
30-12-04, 09:51 AM
ooooh... contravercial opinion there camb.

mass death is OK if it wasnt caused by war :lol:
I am sure the aid people will now give back all donations now.

Stuart
30-12-04, 09:59 AM
yes it is contravesial. but then life wouldnt be fun without it.

and they all said "why didnt we have any warning of this" ummmm a wave travelling at 500mph is a bit hard to get out of the way of lol.

but then people will ALWAYS try to blame someone, even in the event of a natural disaster (not the wrestellers from way back)

?Marty?
30-12-04, 01:38 PM
Still, the home offer to 4 thailand sisters is still open. Slim preferably.