PDA

View Full Version : digidash

DEATHCAT
29-12-04, 01:37 PM
right im out in the bloody cold lol tryuing to install my digi dash but i can disconnect the road speed sensor and one got any tips on unscrewing it ??

thx in advance

Chris
29-12-04, 02:54 PM
undo the 10mm bolt that goes into the gearbox then lever the plastic plate up and the speed sensor will come out. Be careful when withdrawing it though as the gear drops out and you want to change for the astra one

Chris

DEATHCAT
29-12-04, 05:09 PM
m8 i removed a black plastic think that looks like the one i got with my digital dash. the one with the metal speedo cable connected to it.

az_e11
29-12-04, 09:32 PM
Yep the digi dash one, with the wires on it should just screw straight on m8,

DEATHCAT
30-12-04, 01:17 PM
Yep the digi dash one, with the wires on it should just screw straight on m8,

yeah m8 but the 3 wires on it wire up to the other piece under the bonnet near it if thisis right how do i put a wire to the back of the clocks ??

thx in advance

DEATHCAT
31-12-04, 02:48 AM
sorry yeah i figured it out lol i actually removed the whole speed sender and not just the cable so i was trying to connect something else lol.

right i have wired everything up but the problem is i turn on the ignition and it don't blow up (Good Sign lol) but the indacator light keeps flashing dead fast like what happens when you turn the plug upside down on the old clocks. but when i press the hazzard switch in it stops or when i switch the indicator on it slows down ??

and suggestions. also this is the only thing that lights up. well the high beam does when i press it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

General Baxter
31-12-04, 07:10 AM
you have a left and a right turn signal on the digi dash < clock > not like on the old clocks like this <> so there is a nother wire you have to split to only make the left side flash when you turn left and right side when you go right :P

sorry if that makes no sence as its 7am :cry:

az_e11
31-12-04, 11:56 AM
First u need to disconnect your current connections u made for the indiactor light
For the indicator lights to work properly on your dash, u need to connect two wires from the back of the indicactor stalk, directly to the indicator wires for the dash, one for the right and one for the left.

So basically Wire the left and right indicator wires coming from the digi dash into the indicator stalks, not into the wires from the old dash

U might need a voltmeter, to work out which is right and which is left on the stalk, or just use your dash to test
8)

DEATHCAT
03-01-05, 09:39 PM
First u need to disconnect your current connections u made for the indiactor light
For the indicator lights to work properly on your dash, u need to connect two wires from the back of the indicactor stalk, directly to the indicator wires for the dash, one for the right and one for the left.

So basically Wire the left and right indicator wires coming from the digi dash into the indicator stalks, not into the wires from the old dash

U might need a voltmeter, to work out which is right and which is left on the stalk, or just use your dash to test
8)

m8 i did as you said and i put the wires off the indicator stalk to the righg ones on the black plug and when i turn the ignition on the left arrow is flashing its head off but the rights doing nothing and when i switch it to right they both start flashign very fast.. ??

az_e11
03-01-05, 09:53 PM
Ok, sounds like u r using the wrong wires on the indicator stalk

did u test the wires comin from the indiactor stalk with a tester lamp or something, coz thats gonna be the best way

what i done was got a test lamp, put the indicator stalk in the left position with ignition on, connected test lamp to ground, and then used it to test which wire from the stalk was giving me a flashing output on my test lamp for the left signal, when i found this wire i marked it as left indactor output. Do the same for the right one as well, then u should be ok, or there might be something wrong with the indactor stalk itself, or wiring
If u know wot i mean m8

DEATHCAT
03-01-05, 11:33 PM
ok m8 will do also is other things supposed to light up aswell or is that part of the check it does. ??

because all wires are wired up and only the handbrake light / indicator / highbeam work ??

nothing else lights up @ all. thx in advance

DEATHCAT
04-01-05, 02:23 PM
right i got these working

Highbeam Warning
Sidelight Warning
Headlight Warning
Left Indicator Warning
Right Indicator Warning
Handbrake Warning

but the main display will not light up i have the black, brown and red/blue wires going to the road speed sender and its still not lighting up. i have checked all bulbs and they are working but nothing :(

az_e11
04-01-05, 11:45 PM
Hi,
So i take it the gauge bits and the speed bit isnt lighing up either, r u sure your bulbs are ok, coz these can mess up very easily, and they can be on, but look very dim, if so u need new bulbs.

Make sure all the black wires are connceted, but leave the black trailer tell tale wire off, and make sure all the brown wires are aslo connected to right power wires on your orignal dash loom black (+) and brown (-) if i remeber correctly.
Check all ur conncetions are gd as well, the speed display should light up, even if u dont connect the speed sensor, do u get a reading when it does its check sequence like 288 or something

DEATHCAT
05-01-05, 02:36 AM
which ones the trailer light wire m8 there loads of blacks lol

Aragorn
05-01-05, 09:57 AM
find the trailer bulb and floow the trace back to the black plug and cut it off

all the blacks on the white plug should be connected to 12v and there is a black on the black plug that should be connected

DEATHCAT
07-01-05, 10:11 PM
right im nearly there lol

a prob i came up on now

i checked the bulbs they all work.

i finally got everything working on the dash but the display is liturally invisible its there but you can't see it its not using the bulbs even when i turn headlights on to see if it lights up and its not. any ideas

az_e11
07-01-05, 11:37 PM
Yup sounds like the halogen main bulbs may have blown m8, these are fragile and mess up easily, can be bought from Vauxall, but take in old 1 with u.

I had the same problem with 2 digi dashes, both had same problem
You can also see if they are workin by lookin into the top of the dash they shuld be resonably bright not dim.

Another annoying problem u may find is when turnin your headlights on, the dash makes a clicking noise, this is supposed to be some sort of relay to make the dash lights go dim, to reduce glare.
Which is annoying as the dash lights are fairly dim any way,

What i have done is disconnected the wire which does this, (cant remeber which 1, av a look at the guide again)
So now when i turn my hedlights on, there is no click, and dash lights dont go dim, all that happens is the green sidelight lamp lights up.

I think this is a better option m8,

8)

DEATHCAT
08-01-05, 02:03 AM
m8 i just looked @ the back of my dash and i have got one of the 3 main bulbs missing the side with the rev counter does there need to be 3 bulbs to make a full circuit or not if someone could test this out by removing one of the bulbs to see if it still lights up.

thx in advance.

DEATHCAT
09-01-05, 02:55 PM
right i have got all the green / grey and yellow / white wires connected and the 1 bulb in the middle but its still not lighting up
the 2 side helogen bulbs have blown. would this make a difference ??

thx in advance

Barn
09-01-05, 03:59 PM
thank fuck someone else is doing mine for me, lol

will have to tell him about the dimming thing...

do you know what wire it is az_e11?

Aragorn
09-01-05, 09:37 PM
u cant connect the grey/greens to the dash

if u do it will dim out to nothing as soon as u turn the headlights on

so remove them and then go buy 2 new main halogens for the lcd illumination

DEATHCAT
09-01-05, 09:49 PM

well it said to in the fitting guide ??

az_e11
10-01-05, 12:50 AM

well it said to in the fitting guide ??

Ignore that bit in the guide m8, this way u will have a nice bright dash, when u turn on your headlights, instead of a very dim 1.

And also i have fitted a few digi dashes, and alll of them dont seem to ever have a bulb behind the speed display, they just have two halogen bulbs on each side.
And every thing lights up fine with this like it

8)

DEATHCAT
10-01-05, 01:20 AM
oh ok m8 so the 2 gren / gray ones off the white cable don't get wired up ??

thx in advance

Aragorn
10-01-05, 10:02 AM
yep remove the grey greens

the reason there is an issue is that on the astra it has a dimmer control on the dash which is connected to this grey/green

if u connect it without the dimmer control the dash reads it as "maximum dimness" and consequently when u turn your headlights on u cant see a thing

this will not affect the normal operation of the dash tho - ie ignition on but headlights off so if its still dim in that case its defo the main halogens

DEATHCAT
16-02-05, 01:25 PM
right everythings wired up and the bulbs are lighting up ;) after all that hassel but a few things

i have conneted the Green to Green and the rev counter is not moving also how the hell do i make it fit into place lol ;)

DEATHCAT
19-02-05, 01:42 AM
right finally i sorted everything except the rev counter.. ??

i had a auto electrition text the green wire coming from the coil and its live but its not doing anything on the dash. but the speedometer works gr8 ;)

any suggestions

Purplehayz_868
31-03-05, 12:35 PM
the trailer telltale wire is the black wire on in the middle of the black plug, the ignition live is all the other black wires

Aragorn
31-03-05, 04:54 PM
yes and this is a 45day old thread why are u posting to it