PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid not always popping door open

tom_beverley
28-12-04, 11:03 PM
I have had my new alarm fitted properly by a vauxhall garage and when they were doing it they found that when the bodyshop who did my car had done the wiring for the door solenoids they had made a right mess.

They had used household wire with a seperate live feed for both doors. Vauxhall ripped all this out and wired it so there was one live wire that split into two (for both doors). Replacing the old wire with usual car wire stuff and wrapping all the wire up. This looked a lot tidier and sounded as if it would be better (since two switches had already been blown).

Worked fine for a while but now sometimes i cant get in my door. I press the button and i can hear the solenoid trying to pop but it wont kick the door open. I thought it was the switch but it is a new switch plus power is getting to the solenoid for it to pop. Before it used to work all the time apart from when a switch was on its way out, but now it works sometimes and sometimes doesn't.

Why is this?

Alex
28-12-04, 11:26 PM
do you mean to unlock or to open?

My opening system doesnt work when the door is a bit cold/frozen

tom_beverley
28-12-04, 11:50 PM
When opening the door mate. It opens at 5.30am when i go to work most of the time, ive just been putting up with it for a few days but it did it tonight when i took our lass home and i had to get her to open the door from the inside. Sometimes it works first time, sometimes after a couple of goes, sometimes (like tonight) it doesnt open.

Its wierd though since i can hear it trying to open, could it be a faulty solenoid even though it was new in august/september? Maybe not enough power since the new wiring?

Wierd since the passenger side opens every time.

te17@novasgonemad
29-12-04, 12:19 AM
hate there is a coil spring in the door part of the dorr catch you need a new one

Riggy
29-12-04, 02:20 AM
or maybee the solenoid rod has worked loose where it conects to the rod of the door handle thus not always pulling it enough to open :?:

tom_beverley
29-12-04, 10:59 AM
ill investigate today :D

cheers for the help :+:

tom_beverley
29-12-04, 02:10 PM
had a look and a fiddle, everything looks and feels where its supposed to be so nothing has slipped out of place. I tried pooping the door open when it was open and it pops properly but when its shut it wont open but i can hear it trying to.

Matt Nova
29-12-04, 05:29 PM
just sounds like the solenoid my boot one does the same

tom_beverley
29-12-04, 06:32 PM
After burning out another switch :evil: a little bit of oil in the door catch seems to have made the difference, still got stuck a few times so its not perfect but ill see how it goes

Stoo
29-12-04, 06:44 PM
Ever thought it may be too tight!! mine on my boot was!! slackened it off a little and it was perfect, pops everytime!