PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking coilovers.

krobinson
26-12-04, 08:39 PM
Right guys n girls.. *this is in general chat so most ppl will see it*

I'm looking into getting some coilovers at the end of Janurary. Now i wont be touching Avo, because of all the bad reports. I've got the car -80mm already, so want to keep it this way, and maybe lower if possible.

Has anyone here used FK Coilovers? How low have you been able to put it? The rear aint a problem as i can have the springs adjusted, but the fronts i'm concerned about.

CP commented on an older thread that the Avo fronts use the original nova top strut mount, and so cant go very low unless you use a different mount, is this the case with the FK's too?

Basically i need as many opinions and facts as possible to help me choose the right setup. Oh, and Leda's are out of my price range.

Keith

Riggy
26-12-04, 11:08 PM
what about GAZ ones keith , i remeber reading a post that rick put up about that if he didnt have his ledas then he would buy some GAZ ones

GT-Dub
26-12-04, 11:10 PM
Gaz are suppose to be good, never personally used them, FK are kool Spax rsx are a good decent buy...

Leda ;) or even a yummy set of billy's

But peeps swear by avo, i guess it all depends what you want them for really.

But different and get some Proflex :D

Cheeze
27-12-04, 10:38 AM
i was running the spax rsx kit on the old nova i had, but its aint a coilover setup on the rear wi them tho, only problem i had wi them was it had knocked out the camber on the front and resulted in two bald tyres, (camber mod would have helped lol) or a set of ecentric top mounts, but i certianly liked them

Rick Draper
27-12-04, 11:38 AM
what about GAZ ones keith , i remeber reading a post that rick put up about that if he didnt have his ledas then he would buy some GAZ ones

Gaz ones are very nice, i would have some of them. Rick

m.d.
27-12-04, 11:55 AM
i know you said that you would not but id still have avo's over the ones you have said, but if i had the choice i would get the avos for the back and get a set of billys for the front (non coilovers) and get the coilover conversion fitted to them, been in a car with these and it was like it was on rails,

benji
27-12-04, 01:10 PM
as far as i know the problem with avo's has been sorted

dan16v
27-12-04, 07:12 PM
keith go for gaz, there a realy nice set up for the cash!, if i had the dosh ledas are the ultimate, but the gaz ones have a nice range of spring lengths and poundage weight etc, if you want i can pm you the details of who and where i got myne as they were realy helpfull and had all the spring options in stock! also get some nice ally eccentric top mounts! well worth it! 8) think for the gaz fronts its around ?450

krobinson
27-12-04, 07:15 PM
I can get Avo's, FK and Bilstein @ cost price.

I'm basically looking for the one that will allow me to keep it low, and still retain some handleing.

Has anyone got the FK's? How low can you go at the front?

Rick, Does the Gaz coilovers have an FK rear setup? or an Avo rear setup?

Keith

Chris_W
27-12-04, 07:58 PM
Keith,
GAZ will make you whatever you want, I don't think they have ready made kits as such, but I could be wrong. When my mate had some made up for his beetle he just gave them all the details and they made them to his specs from scratch!

Chris

krobinson
27-12-04, 08:41 PM
Nice one! Contact details?

Looks like some extra saving will need to be done!

Keith

Chris_W
28-12-04, 09:41 AM
When my mate ordered his ones we were talking to them at the Autosport show about 2 years back! I think this is the people you want to be talking to though:
http://www.dampertech.co.uk/

Chris

Lee H
29-12-04, 10:51 AM
I got rid of my Avo's as they are shite!! Bought some Gaz ones now and they look really good, had the shocker bodies made shorter so that I can go lower as the problem was the Avo's bottomed out when wound down low!! Would definitely recommend them, cost me ?360 delivered for the fronts!!