PDA

View Full Version : only firing on 2 cylinders

johnnynova
26-12-04, 06:34 PM
3 and 4 cylinder not working?

checked dizzy and leads and spark plugs (3 & 4 are darker than 1&2)

happened as i was driving, not reving high or pushing the car at all.

have taken spark plug leads off 3 & 4 and it still runs the same (on 2 cylinders)

any ideas as to what could be going on?

car is 1.2 head on 1.4 block, piper 275 stg 1 cam, weber 32/24 with 4 branch exhaust manifold

gonna take it to a gargae on wednesday if i cant figure it out myself.

merry xmas!

cheers

john

Nick
26-12-04, 06:43 PM
may be a stupid question

but are 3+4 plugs producing a spark !?

just you didn't mention it i don't think...

johnnynova
26-12-04, 07:03 PM
how could i tell??

swap plugs? leads?

Adam
26-12-04, 07:19 PM
how could i tell??

swap plugs? leads?
Take the lead off the plug, then put the spark plug into the lead and put the lead(with the plug in) next to the engine block. Get someone to turn the engine over and it should give a nice bright spark. Hold the lead with a glove on or summit, i know someone that put their finger into a HT lead for a joke, what a tool :roll:

johnnynova
26-12-04, 07:37 PM
too blooody dark now, will try in the early am,

if it isnt sparking, wat does that mean, plugs knackered? or coil/dizzy problem?

cheers

john

Adam
26-12-04, 07:48 PM
Could be a knackered lead/plug, or a dizzy problem. I don't think it will be the coil as if the others spark, the coil sends the same voltage so if one is sparking then the coil is fine, its summit to do with the voltage distribution, i.e the dizzy.

General Baxter
26-12-04, 07:49 PM
i know someone that put their finger into a HT lead for a joke, what a tool :roll:

iv got to give that ago :lol:

Adam
26-12-04, 07:53 PM
i know someone that put their finger into a HT lead for a joke, what a tool :roll:

iv got to give that ago :lol:
LOL, yep, the bloke was in bed for 4 days, his arm was paralysed for 4days, and he said he thought his brain had been fried :roll:
:lol:

johnnynova
26-12-04, 08:51 PM
would understand knackered plug if only one went but 2 cylnders out of action in one go?

no cream under oil filler cap? i know the car has a weepy gasket but 2 cylinders dont suddenly go? do they?

cheers

Nick
26-12-04, 09:28 PM
i have had an electric shock through an HT lead, still have a mark on the falm of my hand

believe me it fucking kills,

i didn't even get the full monty, as i was just holding one of the plugs with my other hand on the bonnet (didn't have a bonnet support) and the dickhead ticked the car over, n of course it shorted through my hand into the bodywork.

johnnynova
27-12-04, 03:06 PM
just checked sparks plugs. all of them are sparking, so its not the dizzy or plugs or leads. still 3rd and 4th cylinder are not firing, they both went suddenly, (in early post) does this mean my piston rings have gone?

if so i need a 1.6 with twin 40's asap!

cheers

john

Aragorn
27-12-04, 11:08 PM
head gasket between 3 and 4?