PDA

View Full Version : help!! engine starts then dies:'( maybe fueling problem

pink_1200
26-12-04, 02:54 PM
hi i've been having trouble with my 1.2(carbed) for months now and my test is coming up soon so i want to get my engine sorted!!

i have replaced every gasket including head, new plugs, leads and coil so the ignition side is fine and yes it is sparking ok. everything seemed to work ok when i put it back together but only for 2 days :S lol, when i started it the choke had to be fully on and plenty of white smoke was coming out, i know its not the rings either they were checked.

fuel is getting through the carb with no problems aswell, but i have been told that the problem could be that the idle control valve is stuck/blocked but i have no idea where it is

any ideas off any1 thanks for looking

Ste_Nova
26-12-04, 03:07 PM
you gonna take your test in your nova??? or do you mean mot test?

pink_1200
26-12-04, 03:15 PM
you gonna take your test in your nova??? or do you mean mot test?

nah not takin my test in the nova, need the engine fixed up so i can put it back on the road + put through the mot

DEATHCAT
26-12-04, 06:59 PM
i got the same problem with my mk2 1.2 carb its pi**ing me off lol and pure white smokes coming out of the engine i will check my idle control valve if someone says where it is lol

thx in advance

Adam
26-12-04, 07:24 PM
i got the same problem with my mk2 1.2 carb its pi**ing me off lol and pure white smokes coming out of the engine i will check my idle control valve if someone says where it is lol

thx in advance
Carb engine ain't got an idle control valve :wink:
Where is white smoke coming from, the exhaust?

DEATHCAT
26-12-04, 07:37 PM

thx in advance
Carb engine ain't got an idle control valve :wink:
Where is white smoke coming from, the exhaust?

yeah m8 lol but its a hell of alot of it i should never have brought this damn nova i payed 300 for it and i have done nothing but spend on repairs.

pink_1200
26-12-04, 07:37 PM
when i go to start the car up the revvs go to about 1000 then no power it just goes down the revvs and dies, the 1 thing i forgot to say earlier!! it has to have the choke fully on when starting, then when it comes to life it just dies straight away. somthings either blocked/not working any more ideas

DEATHCAT
26-12-04, 07:43 PM
when i go to start the car up the revvs go to about 1000 then no power it just goes down the revvs and dies, the 1 thing i forgot to say earlier!! it has to have the choke fully on when starting, then when it comes to life it just dies straight away. somthings either blocked/not working any more ideas

similier to mine m8 i start my engine on full choke and then it sound alright and i walk of to let it warm up when i am walking off i hear it startign to judder then it does it more and then it dies.

and it starts up again first time and does the same. each time every damn time.

pink_1200
26-12-04, 07:51 PM
mines abit worse it takes a few trys to get anything out of it, then when it fires up it runs for about a 2seconds then revs die down till it conks out

DEATHCAT
26-12-04, 07:57 PM
mines abit worse it takes a few trys to get anything out of it, then when it fires up it runs for about a 2seconds then revs die down till it conks out

its exactly the same mine only fires first time when its warm. it does exactly the same as your till its warm.

pink_1200
26-12-04, 08:07 PM
i carnt run mine long enough for it to even warm up dam:(

retrosi
26-12-04, 09:58 PM
ive been messing about with my car after i replaced my head gasket/ My car was doing this now because it is over fueling, over choking. Take it to the mot station and they should set the carb up to get it through its emissions.

az_e11
27-12-04, 04:50 PM
My 1.2 is a bit weird as well, especially with the choke so i tend not to pull it out the whole way, just enough.

Coz if i pull it out all the way, its starts running like shit, similar to urs,and can eventually cut out,
so try pulling it out a little, just enough

Gunzi
27-12-04, 08:32 PM
Coz if i pull it out all the way, its starts running like s**t, similar to urs,and can eventually cut out,
so try pulling it out a little, just enough

I'd try this, your title does say fuelling problems!

silvernsqure
27-12-04, 10:51 PM
ello chap nottin to woz about!
ad same problem wit my 1.2 was like it for months but i soon got pissed of n stripped the carbv and found the a drill hole for one of the jets was blocked!
my advice is take the fuel filter off and just drain it out give it a rattle n if u hear any thing in it rattling other than the filter its self change it or try ur luck and re use it!

what fuel do u use? from owning quite a few pre 91 vauxhalls i have noticed that they only like running on farly high octaine fuel i.e bp petrol station fuel! the rest are shit! so if u r not using it drain the tank and put some in!

also: u can buy petrol additive that prevents ur tank and fuel system clogging up and also adds octaine!

as for the white smoke u say that u havnt managed to run the car up to temp??? well there is you problem all cars even bmw merc etc have clouds of white smoke exit the exhaust when cold or running up to tempiture its merly burning the damp air that is around us and up the exhaust!

but i do ask have u done a compression test on it since u have done the head gasket? are the results of all 4 cylinders the same? ar similer?

also try nipping up the inlet manafold bolts because coming from experience if the inlet manafold is loose it can bring ur described symptons!

hope i was off some help!

silvernsqure
27-12-04, 10:55 PM
if all else fails i bet u have a clogged up jet so take an hour or two and strip the carb check u have fuel, clean fuel in the float chamber and remove all the jets 1 by 1 and blow through them to clear any nasty dirt out!

have u removed the air filter and watchd what is happining in the carb while enging is running? and have u checked ur fuel pump is in good working order?