PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start/starter wont kick!

krobinson
25-12-04, 11:52 AM
Went out this morning to Start the blue nova.

Went to turn it over, heard the starter tapping, battery was low. So grabbed another battery to jump it off. Went to kick the starter over, and nothing. The lights dim on the dash when i go to start, but nothing happens at all! Tryed it again with normal battery, still nothing.

Checked fuses, all fine. Then i thought it might be the alarm playing up, as it's the starter that is stops. But its never given any bother before. So i'm not sure if its the alarm?

Other than that i'm baffled, its a new starter, so i cant see why it would be fucked already?

Any suggestions?

Keith

Matt Nova
25-12-04, 11:56 AM
are you getting a spark from your plugs and leads? mine did a similar thing and new plugs and leads sorted it out :)

krobinson
25-12-04, 12:02 PM
Mate, what has spark got to do with the starter motor? The starter isnt even kicking at all!

Keith

snapper
25-12-04, 01:00 PM
right, can you get a lead direct from the battery to the live on the solenoid? use a jump lead, anything else might melt! if that doesn't work check all the terminals on the solenoid and the wire coming from the solenoid to the motor. on mine, the terminal on the motor has cracked and i have to start the car by jiggling it about for a bit :x

if none of that works, see if you can bump start it. that might kick it into life 8)

Ricks
25-12-04, 02:44 PM
krobinson Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mate, what has spark got to do with the starter motor? The starter isnt even kicking at all!

he3 was only tryin to help no need to get cleaver

krobinson
25-12-04, 03:28 PM
krobinson Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he3 was only tryin to help no need to get c**k

Grow up :lol:

Keith

az_e11
25-12-04, 04:56 PM
It is likely to be your starter motor m8, I had a similar problem on my car, just give it a knock with something that should get it goin.

I smacked mine, as it was old and crap with a metal bar, gave it a knock, car started up straight after that, gave me no trouble for a while.

Trust me

8)

GT-Dub
25-12-04, 05:05 PM
Yeah was gona say. Give your starter a Whack and then try again.

epo
25-12-04, 06:04 PM
mine wouldnt start propaly due to there been no earth lead bolting the chasis to the gear box

that could be your problem :idea:

Philsutton
25-12-04, 06:08 PM
i would say check all your earth straps, ive had this a few times an its always been a dodgy strap

Aragorn
26-12-04, 12:04 PM
the fact the lights are dimming means the starter is drawing hefty current

i'd say that a faulty earth strap would cause the starter to draw too little current and would just click rapidly like it does if battery is low

sounds like the motor is stuck or windings have burnt out

quickest way to check earth straps is a jump lead from negative on batt to the block

try holding the key at "start" and getting someone to dunt the starter with a long pole or mallet

Jim
26-12-04, 03:14 PM
Keith, I was having a lot of starting problems after my engine was rebuilt. Check your earths and stick your battery on charge, then give it a try. Now that I've run the car in, it's starting a lot better.

Jim

Gunzi
26-12-04, 05:02 PM
I had a similar problem and it was the starter motor

Try this: get someone to hit it with a metal implement while trying 2 start it or put it in gear with engine off and rock car back & forth

Or the battery is funked, or the alternator is giving up the ghost, or the earth strap has snapped (g'box to chassis)

All 3 interlink so when 1 goes they all COULD go

retrosi
26-12-04, 10:03 PM
could be you ignition switch behind the barrel, they are quite common to fail

krobinson
26-12-04, 10:17 PM
I gave the starter a wack, and that helped. It then started no probs, Tho its doing the same again now. I'll have to check out the earth straps and charge the battery again.

Keith