PDA

View Full Version : album and single of the year?

benji
22-12-04, 11:34 PM
what's your album of the year and single of the year.

for me it's got to be,

album: Hot Fuss by The Killers
single: Mr Brightside by The Kilers

best album i have heard for years, another good album this year was Deja entendu by Brand New

Jack
23-12-04, 12:39 AM
Lost Prophets, Start Something has to be my favourite album of the year, love it.

Jules
23-12-04, 02:09 AM
Album :- Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses - Slipknot, excellent album and shows that they can be as original and as fresh as ever.

nova_kev
23-12-04, 03:10 AM
Album: Eminem's - Encore
Single: Jay-Z & Linkin Park - Encore

epo
23-12-04, 08:07 AM
same for mw bwn
killers hot fuss
single(s) = killers somebody told me or the libertines what a waster

Stuart
23-12-04, 09:02 AM
Album: The streets - A grand Dont Come For Free (loved it and it meant sooooooo much)
Single: Stonebridge - Put em high, OR Lost Prophets - Last Summer

morrie
23-12-04, 09:35 AM
I agree with Jules, thats a mad album. a few chilled songs in it too.

Ricks
23-12-04, 11:02 AM
album: Hot Fuss by The Killers
single: Mr Brightside by The Kilers

one of the best bands ever with a good album which the music on it varies from rock 2 errrmmm soft rock lol

smithy87
23-12-04, 11:39 AM
Album: Kanye West - The College Dropout & Jay-Z and LP - Collision Course

Single: erm.........Bandaid 20. I dont buy singles. I download em......

Rach
23-12-04, 12:55 PM
mine are sooo girly... lmao

album(s):-

Kristian Leontiou : Some Day Soon

or

Maroon 5 : Songs about Jane

single:- any off the above albums

scott.parker
23-12-04, 03:23 PM
Album: New found glory - Catalyst

Single: Lost prophets - last trian home.

scott

Barn
23-12-04, 07:56 PM
Album - Slipknot's latest

Single - Lost prophets - Last Train home

dont get sick of listening to either one of them

just d/l the killers album so expecting it to be good

?Marty?
23-12-04, 08:16 PM
Liking (most) of the stuff above.

Album of the Year = Kanye West - 'College Dropout'.
Single of the Year = U2 - 'Vertigo'.

LOVE the whole of 'How to dismantle an atomic bomb' in fact, but have to pick the KW one as it brought hip-hop back to it's former roots. Sick of the same old monotomous rap about 'girls, guns and bling'. It needs to get right back to it's roots.

Infact i think the whole of last year was AWESOME for Albums.

Greenday - 'American Idiot' is one of my other highly ranked ones. But there were MANY i bought last year.

?Marty?
23-12-04, 08:17 PM
Album: The streets - A grand Dont Come For Free (loved it and it meant sooooooo much)

Also a shit-hot album. And, as far as i am aware, Q Magazine voted this as album of the year too.

And The Killers is hot too.

Shit, i like too much..... lol

Barn
23-12-04, 08:41 PM
Greenday - 'American Idiot' is one of my other highly ranked ones. But there were MANY i bought last year.
yeh that is an awesome album fair play

?Marty?
24-12-04, 01:16 PM
Also, Razorlight (HOW shit hot is 'Golden Touch'!? Fuckin' ACE!) are ace. And Maroon 5.

Keane too. And possibly Kasabian.

Velvet Revolver too i guess.

epo
24-12-04, 02:34 PM
keanes album is awsome
snow patrol, greenday, razorlight all awsome

?Marty?
24-12-04, 04:13 PM
As well as the Jay-Z/Linkin Park and the new Nas 'Streets Disciple' one's.

TOO many good albums in 2004.....

wisewood
24-12-04, 04:42 PM
keane - No. Just no.
Eminem - encore is NOT good enough to have the respect it was given.
The Streets - very good album.
Maroon5 - very good.
embrace - very good.
How to dismantle ... - good, but a bit samey for my liking.
kasabian - thy're just bloody kulashaker for those too young to remember the originals :lol:

?Marty?
24-12-04, 04:45 PM
How to dismantle ... - good, but a bit samey for my liking.

No way! It's very different to previous U2 stuff.

And Kula Shaker are pap. lol

wisewood
24-12-04, 04:48 PM
govinda jayajaya, goparla jayajaya. rahada ramadahari, govinda jayajaya.

:D Genius.

I have to adit i havent listened to all of the U2 effort - but i was not most impressed. Sounded to me like they'd reached a stage in their career where they couldnt be arsed to write a new album so they did a greatest hits medly using bits of all their old songs :D

?Marty?
24-12-04, 05:04 PM
I have to disagree, it completely stands out from the previous efforts. The songs are going right back to their early start-up days in terms of lyrical content, and the sounds have a lot more distprtion and reverbs than before. You need to play it loud and on a good set-up to really appreciate it.

Tho U2 can't be beaten live - they're fuckin' ace!! Bono also sounds better live, as he sounds a lot 'clearer', whilst on albums his voice is more 'raw'. Can't wait till the Tour kicks off. Going to watch them in Paris or Amsterday this time round.

One of my mates, Dan, is the BIGGEST U2 fan EVER - has every Album and DVD, and has also been to ALL of their Tours!! He also is most impressed with this album, and claims that it is different from their other one's. His 'weakest song' is 'City of Blinding Lights', but even this is of really high standard.

Definitely one of my faves.

Infact, top 5 is:

- Kanye West
- U2
- Greenday
- Razorlight
- Maroon 5

But then i am into Hip-Hop the most. But like all genres. Depending on mood.

Encore is a really good album, but it is very similar to all his other stuff. You can tell that it has advanced, but it doesn't stand out much.

wisewood
24-12-04, 05:14 PM
Not really into Hip Hop that much... to be brutally honest i cant see what all the fuss is about with Kanye West. just doesnt seem worth all the attention to me.

?Marty?
24-12-04, 05:59 PM
Well, i don't read magazines and i don't listen to the radio OR watch music channels, and i decide what music i like just by listening to it and forming my own opinion. HYPE ruins music i think, as people can't seperate the hype from the music. Some only like it because of it, some dislike it just because of it, and etc.

Obviously with Hip-Hop, like with all genres, there is shit hip-hop and there is good hip-hop. It doesn't mean i like ALL of it. Whilst it pisses me off when some of my friends claim they don't like hip-hop, but actually really like Eminem. Or D12 or something. WTF!? It IS Hip-Hop. Or when they've heard some WACK tracks and have decided that ALL of Hip-Hop must be shite because of it.

I like ALL forms of music - apart from the cheesy stuff like euro-pop. Although i wouldn't buy most 'pop' either. I don't mind listening to it tho. I guess.

However, when i buy music, from whichever genre, i only buy the GOOD stuff. (Yes, i buy, not download - i want genuine albums, with sleeve art and etc and believe that the artists deserve to be credited.)

Anyway (fuck what's ALL this about!? lmao) i only wanted to answer about Kanye West lmao

He best put it himself in one of his tracks:

[Verse 1: Kanye West]
Golly, more of that bullshit ice rap
I got to 'pologize to Mos and Kweli (probably)
But is it cool to rap about gold
If I told the world I copped it from Ghana and Mali? (Mali!)
First nigga with a Benz and a backpack
Ice chain, Cardi lens, and a knapsack
Always said if I rapped I'd say somethin' significant
But now I'm rappin' 'bout money, hoes, and rims again
And it's still about the Benjamins
Big faced hundreds and whatever other synonyms
Strippers named Cinnamon
More chips than Pentium
What'cha gon' buy next? Whatever new trend it is
I'm tryin' to spend my stacks
And I'm so broke I look back like "Damn, was I on crack?"
I mean twelve platinum chains, was I on that?
What the hell was wrong with me dog?

His Rhymes are actually a lot more deep than may first appear, are intelligent AND he is credited as being 'the saviour' of hip hop, as he's bringing it back to it's ROOTS. This is what TRUE Hip-Hop is all about, none of this fake 'gangsta' shit. Tho it is entertaining to listen to, i guess.

Plus the style is opushing the boundaries as there is a lot of fusion of different music in his production - soul, jazz, hip-hop.

It's absolute quality hip-hop.

Oh and the U2 stuff - i don't even like them. At all. I just want to argue with you. lol

wisewood
24-12-04, 06:15 PM
Steps Rule.

James B
24-12-04, 06:19 PM
id agree with the streets taking the best album crown but singles - nobody has mentioned holding on by mutiny, quite fankly the best track of the year. Biggest track of the year has prob been call on me but wouldnt say its the best...

wisewood
24-12-04, 06:27 PM
call on me - success brought on by very fit ladies in the video. not that good a tune at all imho.

?Marty?
24-12-04, 09:55 PM
Jay-Z - Brush your shoulder. Quality.

However, THE best track HAS to be a joint winner of Band Aid 20 and STEVE from X-Factor.

Steps!? Best band since Abba. I'm still into the Venga Boys too. lol

jon_boy
25-12-04, 12:27 AM
I have to disagree. Kanye wests album is good. but its not exactly back to roots. the roots used to be gangsta ie biggie, tupac, krs, pharcyde. now days all hip hop has gone a bit pop music. eminem couldve done much better. his unreleased stuff still rocks but hes putting out music on albums so they sell good to younguns. nas's new album rocks.

?Marty?
25-12-04, 10:45 AM
I have to disagree. Kanye wests album is good. but its not exactly back to roots. the roots used to be gangsta ie biggie, tupac, krs, pharcyde. now days all hip hop has gone a bit pop music. eminem couldve done much better. his unreleased stuff still rocks but hes putting out music on albums so they sell good to younguns. nas's new album rocks.

I rate Nas, have all his albums.

However, the afore mentioned 'roots' of Hip-Hop are not infact 'the roots' it goes WAY back than that! That was following on from NWA, Dre, Ice Cube, Ice-T, Snoop Doggy Dog... But it goes WAY way back. To the motherland. Which i think is Belgium. lol

PS - Hip Hop's crap. Music s crap. Chistmas is crap. Baaaaaaaaaah.

peester
25-12-04, 01:04 PM
blimmey; er tune with most longevity has to be usher - yeah; suprisingly still not peeing me off that much hearin that tune - its lasted all year.
twister, kanye, streets, prydz and kelis have all done good tunes this year.

snapper
25-12-04, 01:20 PM
Album: Ash - Meltdown

Single: Graham Coxon - Freakin Out

does no one like good music here? :P

?Marty?
25-12-04, 09:51 PM
Who Killed the Zootons and Handsome Boy Modelling School are good too.

Fuck, there was LOADS of good stuff out last year, just depends on what people are 'in' to. There isn't really such a thing as 'good' or not, it is all tailored to individual taste and preferences. And it is best that way. In my opinion.

Have to agree with sean on Ushers 'Yeah' too. Good tune.

Oh i forgot to say that the ROOTS of Hip-Hop were Ant & Dec with 'Lets get ready to rumble'. They brought it back to the glory days.

snapper
26-12-04, 07:21 AM
i agree marty, but i like to stir up trouble :D

?Marty?
26-12-04, 12:13 PM
i agree marty, but i like to stir up trouble :D

I don't really like trouble. Or arguments.

t0m
26-12-04, 02:22 PM
Single: Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath
Album: The 411 - Between The Sheets