PDA

View Full Version : solex security locks

Mike.
21-12-04, 06:42 PM
hi guys and gals, i'm after a set of solex security locks, are these any good and were can i get a set

cheers mike

Jack
21-12-04, 06:45 PM
Speeding (http://www.speeding.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000123.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2espeeding%2e co%2euk%2f&WD=solex&SHOP=%20&PREVQUERY=SS%3dsolex%26PR%3d%2d1%26TB%3dA%26SHOP%3 d%20&PN=Car_Accessories_Solex__Door_Locks_103%2ehtml%23 a801#a801) sell them although I'm sure you can get them cheaper than that. They're good at stopping people from sticking a screwdriver *in* your locks.... but, as happened to me, they don't stop them from screwdrivering *round* your locks.

Chris
21-12-04, 06:49 PM
I have heard that they are worse than the normal locks. There is a set on ebay at this moment in time. Personally I have never used them so cant say if they are any good or not, but it isnt hard to get in a nova not matter what locks it has.

Chris

Mike.
21-12-04, 06:49 PM
i just think it would be better than the standard locks, i want to de-lock the passenger side door but not the drivers door, so i want something a bit better than the standard locks

Nick
21-12-04, 07:01 PM
delock both the doors, then you don't have any of the problems with locks being screwdrived by twocering chavs

Mike.
21-12-04, 07:05 PM
then i'd have to have central locking, i'd rather not attept that lol

Nick
21-12-04, 07:11 PM
a live, an ignition, and an earth feed.

the rest are all plugs.

the motors simply rivet into holes allready inside the door

takes 2 hours to do, if you really take your time.

Mike.
21-12-04, 07:15 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm :wink:

Jack
21-12-04, 07:15 PM
As Nick said, CL isn't too hard to install. If you're delocking both driver and passenger side though you'll need some way of unlocking the car remotely - either a hidden switch (not advisable for locks) or by wiring it into an alarm. Basic alarms aren't too hard to wire up; but more advanced ones can be a pain if you don't have the confidence or knowledge.

Mike.
21-12-04, 07:16 PM
just might try that after the other things i've got to do lol :lol:

Nick
21-12-04, 07:22 PM
ok, heres a guide.

1 - Aqquire a central locking kit ( will contain, 2 solenoids with mounting brackets, loom, ECU) most of them come combined with the electric windows, so u may as well stick the electric windows in too.

2 - Plug the black (ignition) plug into the fuseboard, Plug the red (Live) plug into the fuseboard. they already have holes for them.

3 - Arrange wire underneath the carpet, and screw the ECU into the underside of the Passenger parcelshelf (under glove box) Also if fitting windows, clip the switchbox into the centre colsole.

Central Locking
1 - Remove door cards.
2 - Rivet each solenoid into the door (using the holes provided)
3 - Attach the metal arm on the end of the solenoid to the lock mechanism.
4- plug the loom into each solenoid.

electric windows

1 - remove doorcarbs.
2 - drill out existing rivets and remove manual mechanism.
3 - align and rivet in new mechanism
4 - plug in loom.

that's how easy it is.

Nick
21-12-04, 07:25 PM
the hardest part is taking time to neatly secrete the loom under the carpets, but it takes 1/2 hour to do it properly.

oh and i forgot,

you have to connect an earth too, :roll: :o wooooohoo

chapers
21-12-04, 07:28 PM
what would you have to do/buy to get the central locking on remote? i have the central locking but want to de-lock it because you can see somone has already tried breaking into mine :x

Jack
21-12-04, 07:34 PM
You'll need an alarm system if you don't already have one. Most alarms have a couple of wires for the central locking outputs, and more central locking systems have two wires from the control box for remote in/out.

Mike.
21-12-04, 07:51 PM
thanks for the guide nick

have you got any pics of the nova with the new bumper in daylight yet lol

Nick
21-12-04, 08:26 PM
oh gosh, now that's a question !

it needs a wash,polish, and a back to black before i release any more pictures of it :-)

i'l try and get a splitter on first, as the bent one on ATM looks absolutly pants !

im on the case tho !

you want me to take pics of the central locking and eleccy windows + wiring e.t.c ?

Mike.
21-12-04, 10:24 PM
if to could nick it would help me out alot :D

Nick
21-12-04, 11:02 PM
i'm on the case

need to neaten all the wiring up as currently the electric windows r hittin the wires as they go down...

any actually, i havn't got round to plugging the Central locking in yet :-) hehehe

jon_boy
21-12-04, 11:29 PM
If your going to all that trouble try and remove the lock pins inside as well (the bit that goes up and down if the car is locked/isnt.) by far the easiest way to get in is to grab the top of the door and pull it back enough to get arm in and just unlock from the inside. seen it done to a lot of cars+my own..

Stuart
22-12-04, 07:52 AM
unless you weld the doors shut and fit polycarb windows (so even YOU want get in) your car womt be safe lol

i had solex locks on my nova, they were ok and as the car was black they seemed to blend in etc.

they are a nice gimmic but as for how much more secure they are is negligable really as the whole lock can be punched out if they really want to get in. OR even cutting the window seals out works well too lol