PDA

View Full Version : pls help wiring gurus

PE4
20-12-04, 04:52 PM
Hi, I have swapped my cars loom and when I turn my lights on to the first setting, all is fine, but when I switch it to main beam the lights go out and the indicators turn on, they do not flash, they just turn on. Its almost as if I have the main lights plugged into the indicators, but I do not, any ideas?

I have not wired all the other switches up yet, could that have any effect?

Thanks

Steve

Chris
20-12-04, 06:09 PM
What have you changed? The full loom? Why? Or have you just changed the plugs from mk1 to mk2? Have you had any wires out of the fusebox?

Chris

PE4
20-12-04, 06:31 PM
The full loom, car and engine. The car went from having mkI wiring, which I then fitted with mkII switches. Then a load of the loom got destroyed, so I changed it and also the engine from a 1.3SR to 1.6i (the loom is from a GTE) Having now started to wire in the mkII switches again I have this problem.

THe fuse box wires look sound apart from one, it is red and blue, from the fuse holder that has F1 marked on it, that has been cut, not sure what it is yet as I haven't looked it up.

Cheers

Steve

mowgli
20-12-04, 08:21 PM
I think you should have a look at the earth wiring. if an earth is not working, then the current will try to find a different route

m.d.
20-12-04, 08:48 PM
sounds very much like an earth problem. do you have the earth strap from the batt to the car connected properly, or the one from the gearbox to the inner wing. there are earths on the headlight loom too so check them too

PE4
16-01-05, 09:10 PM
Sorry for the delays, and thankyou for the replies. I do not have the earth from the inner wing connected, so I will do that in the morning - I forgot to reconnect it, doh!

What wires should be at the coil end then, because I have a few loose and I have forgotten what they are.

Thanks again guys

Steve