PDA

View Full Version : overheating

Riggy
19-12-04, 08:04 PM
right this mornin my car decided to start blowin loads of steam out of the bonnet and was right in the red , had only done about 2 miles of drivin so parked up did some xmas shopin and stuff b4 goin home, when it had cooled down i toped up all my water and antifreeze and then took it for another spin , to which it overheated again - but i noticed that my fan didnt come on but the fuses are ok

anyone got any ideas what to look for

Ricks
19-12-04, 08:23 PM
im not 100% but i think ur thermostats gone but dont take my word for it.

Riggy
19-12-04, 08:27 PM
yeah could be but it also seems a bit down on power so was thinking if it could be the start of a head gasket on the way :(

Ricks
19-12-04, 08:34 PM
i dont av a clue. it sounds stupid but it cud be ur cap on ur water resvoir cause mine did tht it wunt let enougth air out so it just boiled so much tht steam came out and stuff.
is it cmin from ur radiater its self?

Riggy
19-12-04, 08:36 PM
no its not the cap and there is no steam from the rad its just boilin like a kettle :(

epo
19-12-04, 08:39 PM
not to worry you mate but when mine was boiling over it was the headgasket

when you take your oil cap off do you have any mayonasie type looking stuff round the cap?

Adam
19-12-04, 08:41 PM
no its not the cap and there is no steam from the rad its just boilin like a kettle :(
Sounds like Head gasket on its way out mate. My dads car started to do this a while back, steam pouring out expansion tank, and the car is now at a scrap yard. :cry:

Riggy
19-12-04, 08:42 PM
that exactly what i was thinkin lol gonna check cap in the morn as it only started it today

will have a good christmas if it is lol :lol:

Adam
19-12-04, 08:43 PM
Could be thermostat jammed closed though, funny about fan not working though.
But in this weather your car should never really reach any where near hot on temp guage. Mine doesn't go past the first mark on a 20mile drive.

Ricks
19-12-04, 08:46 PM
to check for head gasket goin the top of the oil cap will be creamy but also it cud be the thermostat or the rad cap.
i hope u were as lucky as me and it turns out tht the cap is not letting air out cause thts why mine was overpouring with water out. hope u get it sorted mate.

Adam
19-12-04, 08:50 PM
to check for head gasket goin the top of the oil cap will be creamy but also it cud be the thermostat or the rad cap.
i hope u were as lucky as me and it turns out tht the cap is not letting air out cause thts why mine was overpouring with water out. hope u get it sorted mate.
I don't think it has to be creamy inside the oil cap though, it depends where the gasket is broke. If it breaks close to the cylinder then any water/oil will get burnt, and not mix.
Riggy, you can't see any coolant leaking from any where near the water pump can ya, thats what caused me dads car start steaming over.

Ricks
19-12-04, 08:52 PM
lets just hope it is a faulty cap or air in the system cause its harsh his head gasket goin at crimbo.

epo
19-12-04, 09:04 PM
that exactly what i was thinkin lol gonna check cap in the morn as it only started it today

will have a good christmas if it is lol :lol:

mine wasnt to bad a job did it over three evenings

and for all the bits it cost ?47

that was for the head bolts, gasket and cam belt iirc

only thing is we put two pipes on wrong and the ecu light stayed on but sused it eventually

if its the first one you've done take pics before you strip it down that wa you can look back and think "this goes here ect"

Riggy
19-12-04, 09:07 PM
lol if it does turn out to be my headgasket then thats the excuse i need to strip it and fit my ported and polished head :wink:

there is no leakes and the cap seals very nice and tight

there is no smoke in the exhaust fumes at the moment and like i said ill check my cap tomorrow :twisted:

epo
19-12-04, 09:12 PM
there was no gunk in my cap either no smoke out the exhaust just overheating

i was lucky with mine it overheated and blew a water pipe before it had chance to do any damage
it hadnt even warped the head :D

DrivingSpanner
19-12-04, 09:48 PM
jammed thermostat, that would cause the fan not to kick in even tho your in the red becausethe water wont even get as far as the rad! take the thermostat out and put it in boiling water to see if it opens before you go taking the head off!

head gaskets on the nova are reaally easy so dont be too alarmed! can do one in just a few hours now!

Ricks
19-12-04, 09:52 PM
a 2 man job to check ur thermostat get sum one to sit in ur car and start ur engine up but be careful u dont burn urself cause hot water comes out and gently take the thermostat out and the temp bar should start flickering up and down until u put it in if it does that then u know tht its not fucked.

DrivingSpanner
19-12-04, 10:05 PM
a 2 man job to check ur thermostat get sum one to sit in ur car and start ur engine up but be careful u dont burn urself cause hot water comes out and gently take the thermostat out and the temp bar should start flickering up and down until u put it in if it does that then u know tht its not f**k. :o :o :o
what are you talking about man, no not he sender part for the dash that sits in the manifold, the bit that controls water flow to the rad of recirculates it around the engine, there is noway you cound do that while the engine id running...

Ricks
19-12-04, 10:40 PM
ur wrng mate im on abt the one on the engine block near the carb my uncle did mine 4 me cause he 4ght mine went.
dont try ths unless u know wht ur doin

Riggy
19-12-04, 11:03 PM
a 2 man job to check ur thermostat get sum one to sit in ur car and start ur engine up but be careful u dont burn urself cause hot water comes out and gently take the thermostat out and the temp bar should start flickering up and down until u put it in if it does that then u know tht its not f**k. :o :o :o
what are you talking about man, no not he sender part for the dash that sits in the manifold, the bit that controls water flow to the rad of recirculates it around the engine, there is noway you cound do that while the engine id running...

lol spanner means the one on the left side of the rad (as you look from the front) where it plugs in

i think your on about the sender for the dash on the inlet maniold that has a spade conector on it

DrivingSpanner
19-12-04, 11:16 PM
yeah ish.... the one that conrols the temp for warm up ect round brass thing that about inch and half diameter with a spring and disc in the middle...

Ricks
19-12-04, 11:22 PM
ill appologise then soz dude lol

Alpine99
20-12-04, 10:38 AM
same thing happened to me last week! after all messing about thinking it was this that n the other, it was the fan switch!!! it had broke and therefore wasn't coming on, causing it to over heat.

give it a look before spending ???'s on heads ect :wink: cost me a tenner to get it fitted. but was my uncle who done the job.

Riggy
20-12-04, 11:38 AM
well car has gone in for a compression test today but as im go to work at 1 i wont pick it up untill the morning so will let you know

orderd a headset and bolts just incase only 25 quid for the lot :lol:

DrivingSpanner
20-12-04, 11:53 AM
orderd a headset and bolts just incase only 25 quid for the lot :lol:

Not a bad thing to keep in the garage anyway.... it'll be needed as and when you fit that other head anyway

Stuart
20-12-04, 12:52 PM
id say head gasket is gone.

if you ran it while boiling out id also say you need a skim. which shouldnt be anymore than ?30.

enjoy

Riggy
20-12-04, 08:41 PM
lol i will be doin stu hehehe but as im an engineer ill skim the head myself :lol:

but will be fitting my ported one though

find out in morn if it is

Riggy
22-12-04, 11:13 AM
well got car back yeaterday and it wasnt headgasket

was my thermostat all done now and runnin fine again

although im worrid bout my waterpump lol oh well thats a job for new tr hehehe

Ricks
22-12-04, 12:10 PM
im pleased to hear tht u still gunna put ur new head in?