PDA

View Full Version : Sump Gascket C20XE - Help!?

MPP_RUSSELL
19-12-04, 07:02 PM
Hey there i got a c20xe nova and have recently done the sump gascket. I used an eight valve two litre one because its rubber instead of two cork ones. However it leaks worse than before in one of the corners in the same spot. Im not sure as to what gascket to try? My mate said to use two turbo diesel ones but were not sure which turbo diesel ones to use. Also is there any particular methods? I think i might of overtightened it because it is well easy to do. I used plenty of red gascket sealent so it couldnt be anything else other than overtightning. The blocks ok and the sump! Cheers to anyone who replies. :)

Chris
20-12-04, 06:25 PM
Check that both surfaces are clean, free from oil. You need two gaskets to go in between the sump and baffle plate and one between the baffle plate and block. Check you didnt bend the sump as you levered it off.

Chris

MPP_RUSSELL
21-12-04, 04:21 PM
Hey there chris thanks for your reply, thinking about it it was the corner where i levered it off, and its the most likely corner right by the crank pulley where previous owners have probably levered it off. Because the sumps ally though i didnt think it would bend. Il have to check it. Do you know how much second hand sumps go for? Also what have you used previously? I think im gona try the rubber with metal inserts from vauxhall, ?30 for two! Can you believe that!

Chris
21-12-04, 05:07 PM
I have always used the cork ones. To remove the sump and break the seal I have used a rubber mallet. Just tap the back of the sump, keep tapping harder until teh seal breaks, should come off nice and easy though.

Chris

MPP_RUSSELL
21-12-04, 05:14 PM
Ok mate nice one, cheers. Always good to have a bit of freindly advice. :wink:

Chris
21-12-04, 05:17 PM
No probs at all fella, good luck

Chris

MPP_RUSSELL
21-12-04, 05:42 PM
Sorry mate i only just recognised your login picture from your post on Ants Nova which he just sold to me. Im Austins mate Russ. It had the leaky sump when i bought it and we did it the other day but as you know didnt work out. Im realy pleased with it though, spent some already! I just put tas engine and gearbox mounts on it aswell as the spacer plate kit it needed aswell and loads of niggly bits. Just this sump gascket to do now realy but im better off for it after chattin with ya so its all good. Dont suppose you know any history on the engine do you? cheers russ.

CorsaC20LET
22-12-04, 07:45 AM
Isn't it your gasket of the oilpump.
With me it looks as well it was the sump gasket.
put after a few checks I saw it was the oilpump it self.

Older versions have a paper gasket.
Which must be changed to a metal one.

Maybe this will help you or other people.