PDA

View Full Version : Air filters.

NOVA_JONO
18-12-04, 08:26 PM
Hi, i have a 1992, 1.2 spi Nova and want a K&N style air filter for it, but am having trouble finding these. I have seen the Green Cotton ones in demon tweeks, is this the only one i can get?

Cheers Jono.

Mike
18-12-04, 09:18 PM
in a word no, call demon tweeks, they shud be able to match one up to ur nova. :D

Jack
19-12-04, 05:13 PM
According to the K&N website, they don't supply a kit for the SPi engine.

Mike
19-12-04, 06:37 PM
if u can only get a Green filter, settle for that.

it's bound to be better than nowt. probably cheaper than the K an N neway :?:

Jack
19-12-04, 07:09 PM
And better, quality/performance wise :wink:

Mike
19-12-04, 07:11 PM
And better, quality/performance wise :wink:

aye, true mate. i fink K an N's are complete rubbish! :lol:

NovaMelyn!
19-12-04, 09:26 PM
Corsa 1.2 8v top box + Tube + Suitably sized Universal Cone filter and away you go.

Or just get the Green one.

Ricks
19-12-04, 09:29 PM
whts the chance on me gettin an induction kit on a 1.2 merit manual choke carb
ive been told its impossible as n e one else seen it done?

NOVA_JONO
20-12-04, 09:12 PM
Gunna buy a Green Cotton one after christmas, when i've got some money.
Cheers Jono.

Jack
21-12-04, 12:12 AM
whts the chance on me gettin an induction kit on a 1.2 merit manual choke carb
ive been told its impossible as n e one else seen it done?

Induction kits are for Injection engines.... yours being carb therefore won't be able to have one. You'll be wanting a bolt on type filter, as the filter literally bolts on top of the carb.

Matt Nova
21-12-04, 02:11 AM
get a corsa air box its what i've got looks better works well and cheaper

ricks as they've said you want a bolt on k + N

Ricks
21-12-04, 02:15 AM
yer i saw it on a post. im gunna concentrate on my digidash first

dunova
21-12-04, 08:17 AM
Induction kits are for Injection engines.... yours being carb therefore won't be able to have one. You'll be wanting a bolt on type filter, as the filter literally bolts on top of the carb.

What exactly are you thinking an 'induction kit' is mate? Apart from the cold air feed (a bit of pipe) that you get with an 'induction kit', they are both just an air filter. One bolts on to a carb, one bolts on to a throttle body.

And why are people saying K&N are rubbish? Do you have any reason/evidence to think that or are you just saying it because your mate did?

Jack
21-12-04, 02:43 PM

What exactly are you thinking an 'induction kit' is mate? Apart from the cold air feed (a bit of pipe) that you get with an 'induction kit', they are both just an air filter. One bolts on to a carb, one bolts on to a throttle body.

And why are people saying K&N are rubbish? Do you have any reason/evidence to think that or are you just saying it because your mate did?

True, both are just air filters. But 'induction kits' are designed to fit injection engines, and bolt on filters are designed to fit carbs where the air filter just bolts on top. IMO, attempting to mod an induction kit to fit a carb would be a bit of a waste of time when you can just buy a bolt on one.

Lol, no I'm not just saying it coz my mate did (actually my mate wants a K&N for his GTi-6 - but he wants it for the noise it makes :roll:). Total vaux did some tests a while back with various filters, and I think K&N came out the worst.

dunova
21-12-04, 02:58 PM
Total vaux did some tests a while back with various filters, and I think K&N came out the worst.

That's fair enough, i've just never seen any evidence of them not performing well, peeps just saying they're not v.good.

I wasn't suggesting modding an induction kit onto a carb, i just thought you were giving the impression that induction kits are some superior piece of amazing kit and bolt on K&N's are just air filters.

I think the term 'induction kit' only came about to make a performance air filter sound like a supercharger or something :lol:

Jack
21-12-04, 03:35 PM
:) I'll see if I can dig out the results of the TV test.... if i can find it...

Although I have heard from other people that K&Ns tend to suffer if they're not cleaned regularly (more so than other filters), but don't know how true this is.