PDA

View Full Version : Picked Up Carlos Sainz's road car today...

Nick
18-12-04, 06:47 PM
A mate of mine has just aquired one of carlos sainz's Celica GT4's today, built as a road car for him. He's down on the log book and everything !

Only cost ?1500, but it's been rolled through a field (by a later owner)

Still isn't bad for 400bhp and bit of famous history, I enjoyed smashing the hell out of the roof with a hammer today :-)

i'l get some pics if anyone wants to seeit.

Jules
18-12-04, 08:06 PM
I thought that was just a special edition of the Celica?
Not actually owned by the man himself?
:roll:

Nick
18-12-04, 08:56 PM
nooo not that GT4 with the twin headlights... that is a LTD model.

this is an older one, it's actually a 4wd turbo. The one with the slit lights above the bumper.

anyways, it has the original receipts for the engine e.t.c billed FOR Carlos Sainz, (but not to him) from toyota for the engine, suspension. he was also the first owner in the logbook. Everything is Top notch stuff, just most of it's knackered .

Absolutly fcuk'd tho spent all day just making the sun roof fit back in, been sitting in a barn for 6 years, as the old owner was just interested in hanging onto it due to it's history.

as in this one

http://www.guernsey.net/~cccars/1990%20Toyota%20Celica%20GT%204.jpg

Al Wilson
18-12-04, 08:59 PM
Sounds like an interesting fix-er-upper.

Nick
18-12-04, 09:03 PM
what do u mean al ?

it's either his, or a really big co-incidence lol..

anyways, it's gonna be a 50% filler job lol, we've got most of the body in the original shape now, and replaced alot of the replacable body panels. just gonna need alot of fibreglass lol.

nam
18-12-04, 11:33 PM
they were made as a special edition as jules said, my brothers mate had one, was mental:+:

Fester
19-12-04, 01:39 AM
Mate I'm highlpsiseed

been in toast kicming off lmoo ut crlos sainx special edition was a nirmal toyioota edition fdella

woot

Fester
19-12-04, 01:40 AM
we ewnt eben in toatsin ruckcing revoluton its so shit LOL!

Mike.
19-12-04, 10:00 AM
yeah everyones right about it being a special editioncelica because sainz drove for toyota in the early 90s and one the world championship with a celica, then toyota produced a limeted run of specail editions 8)

Nick
19-12-04, 05:03 PM
lol, trust me it's not the special edition.

The special edition is a GT4, with the twin front round headlights. and it has carlos sainz's signature on the dash.

This is an earlier celica, 4wd turbo, not a GT4, with the slit style strip lights above the corners of the front bumper.

It's got all the original paperwork from the toyota factory e.t.c billed for carlos sainz, logbook everything.

im not the one getting confused.

LMAO @ fester ! pretty hammered ?

Nick
19-12-04, 05:07 PM
i'l just get some pictures of the receipts/logbook with his name on it next time i'm round there.

it aint a normal 4wd turbo when you look under the bonnet. trust me.

Fester
19-12-04, 05:48 PM
"I'm never drinking again" :drinking:

Fester
19-12-04, 05:50 PM
AutoTr Link (http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=TOYOTA&model=CELICA&variant=carlos+sainz&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=la1+3aq&miles=1500&max_records=200&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH)

They did the Sainz in the earlier model too :!:

Jack
19-12-04, 06:00 PM
lol @ fester... no more drink/weed/man love for him I think :P

Nick, the GT4 RC (i.e. Carlos Sainz in Europe, ltd edition model, 440 produced) is an ST185, i.e. 1992 model one. They were produced in 1992 to celebrate his second WRC championship win of the same year.

The later ST205 (round headlights), production began in 1994 - by this time Sainz was driving for Subaru (after a poor year with Lancia) - why would Toyota produce a car in the name of a driver who was on another team? :wink:

jon_boy
19-12-04, 08:53 PM
toyota were the first rally team to use a turbo in the something rally. (dusty place), or they may have even been the first team to use a turbo full stop. i think. heard it sumwhere ages ago. nice motor anyway, maybe it was the limited edition, but they gave one to him then upgraded it......

Nick
19-12-04, 09:00 PM
IT IS NOT an ST185CS

it's a normal ST185 with carlos sainz's name on the logbook and some stupidly tuned toyota factory engine in it !

the turbo alone on it new is worth a tad under ?2000, according to ITS turbos.

i think it's even left hand drive, i'l get some pics.

I understand they made a CS model, but it's not one of them. lol

Nick
19-12-04, 09:02 PM
they made a CS model in both the ST185 and the ST205, called ST185CS/ST205CS search on the net, you should find them.

Jack
19-12-04, 09:27 PM
they made a CS model in both the ST185 and the ST205, called ST185CS/ST205CS search on the net, you should find them.

Nope... Toyota did not make an ST205 Carlos Sainz! They are ST185s. You're thinking of the WRC version, that's a Gen6 Celica. Sure, you get a lot of monkeys trying to pass off ST205 GT4s as Carlos Sainz ones, but they aren't.

Nick
19-12-04, 09:34 PM
ah well there are loadsa web pictures of them !

anyways, that irrelevent, it's neither one of the CS models.

i'd better get some pics as no-one believes it.

Jack
19-12-04, 09:46 PM
ah well there are loadsa web pictures of them !

anyways, that irrelevent, it's neither one of the CS models.

i'd better get some pics as no-one believes it.

I'm not disputing whether its Sainz's car. But pictures only tell half the story lol (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=ST205%20Carlos%20Sainz&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wi)... I know my GT4s - ST165 = no special edition, ST185 = CS, ST205 = WRC

Anyway, I digress - would be cool to see some of the proof that it is Sainz's car. It'll be worth a fair bob if it is, especially as you say its got a load of history.

Nick
19-12-04, 09:58 PM
yes it's a steal at ?1500..

but as i said it's absolutly FCUKED!

has been rolled so the roof was crushed, windscreen smashed, both rear quarters, both front wings but the chassis is ok now it's been on the jigg !

but it's still an absolute mess, no interior e.t.c

unless you work in a bodyshop it's a waste of money (which he does :-)) so all the work is free to him.

one of the factory receipts is ?12k ! :o :o :o

it's in his works garage, so i can only see it on a saturday when everyone goes home :-) 8) so it wont be till after chrimbo that i get pics (due to being hammered on saturdays to come)

Jack
19-12-04, 10:22 PM
lol!

Well as long as the engine is good then thats the important bit! Especially if its had that much spent on it!! :o

Probably the last owner thought as it was Sainz's old car it'd mean it would make him drive like Carlos.... :lol:

DrivingSpanner
19-12-04, 10:36 PM
anyways, it's gonna be a 50% filler job lol,

:o :lol: filler thats 3 inches thick :o :lol:

Nick
19-12-04, 10:37 PM
yes, sainz was first on the log book.

anyway, it's a mess. The engine is ok, misfires but it still sounds awesome, has got a ?1800 exhaust system tho :-)

i don't even know if it'l be legal to drive, seeing as it was so bent

DrivingSpanner
19-12-04, 10:41 PM
written off?

Nick
19-12-04, 10:42 PM
i don't know really.. i don't think he's thought about that yet

anyways, it's looking better than it was tho.

Jack
19-12-04, 10:47 PM
Could always dump the engine into a new shell? ST1s are ten a penny to buy.

Riggy
19-12-04, 10:50 PM
yes, sainz was first on the log book.

how do you know this as logbooks dont have everyowners name on them

just current and previous

Nick
19-12-04, 10:52 PM
it says it on the logbook. i'l get a photo of it.

i wasn't there to inspect the logbook, i was there to help straighten the roof.

maybe the 2nd owner didn't have the car changed into his name.

Nick
19-12-04, 10:54 PM
infact the current owner would have been the 2nd owner who rapped it and stored it in his barn

the previous owner must be sainz's name.

Jack
19-12-04, 10:56 PM
how do you know this as logbooks dont have everyowners name on them

just current and previous

Don't they have first registered On.... and By...? But then.... why would Carlos, being Spanish and living in Spain have a UK registered car? Ah who cares, lol, as long as it gets running it'll be good :)

Nick
19-12-04, 10:56 PM
Could always dump the engine into a new shell? ST1s are ten a penny to buy.

but the point is that the shell is part of the cars history. if the worst comes to the worst i spose he'l do it.

Nick
19-12-04, 11:15 PM
surely it'd still say the previous owner if the car was an import ? just because it's been owned abroad(if it was) you can't erase the history of owners.

yes it will.. as i said i'l get pictures of it all next time i'm there.

it's not a sort of thing i'd make up lol. unless some random man was given a toyota with a shit load of money ploughed into it , with receipts signed for by toyota,who was called carlos sainz

Rick Draper
20-12-04, 03:00 PM
What does it matter who used to own it, as far as i can see all it is now is a writen off car that shud just be scrapped. Rick

Stuart
20-12-04, 03:12 PM
if its as badly caved in as you say i wouldnt even sit in it lmao

keep everthing else, and crush the shell :D

Ben
20-12-04, 03:23 PM
Brian has one as well and the only name on the logbook will be the last keeper so that is poo as well.

Its a limited edition!

Ben
20-12-04, 03:31 PM
Also

Carlos Saints did not live in GB and the reg documents if transferred would not state the previous owner if abroad.

EG: Toyota MR2's dont state Mr Kawazaki, 31 hight street nagazaki on them.

Breeny
20-12-04, 03:46 PM
I bet it was Carl Saint or something :lol:

Jack
20-12-04, 04:30 PM
Brian has one as well and the only name on the logbook will be the last keeper so that is poo as well.
True, but Nick says his mate has loads of receipts made out to Carlos Sainz

Its a limited edition!
Yes... we've established that the CS was a ltd edition ST185 lol :P

if its as badly caved in as you say i wouldnt even sit in it lmao
True, but its one of only 440. That's less than Nova Sports, and people seem pretty happy to find and restore them. And this one supposedly has some history to it, being owned by the guy it was named after!

Ben
21-12-04, 09:40 AM
Its a limited edition!
Yes... we've established that the CS was a ltd edition ST185 lol :P

I didnt bother ready all your bitching as most of you are arseholes, there is more chance of finding a Nova Sport which belong to Colin Mcrae than this being owned by Carlos Sainz, as i also said that you failed to pick at you complete Belter.

The car would have been re registered if brought in from abroad and all previous ownership detils would be null and void.

Jack
21-12-04, 02:23 PM
I didnt bother ready all your bitching as most of you are a***
Nice...

there is more chance of finding a Nova Sport which belong to Colin Mcrae than this being owned by Carlos Sainz, as i also said that you failed to pick at you complete Belter.
Don't remember you saying that anywhere, and i have read thru all the previous posts

The car would have been re registered if brought in from abroad and all previous ownership detils would be null and void.
Sure, if thats the case then fair enough it wouldn't be on the car's record *but* the fact would still stand that Sainz had owned the car at some point (if this is true) and there are receipts to prove it.

Aaaanyway.... I think thats enough of Celicas lol. Nick, if you (or anyone) can get any more details on the car then PM me, I'd like to know more about it.

Nick
21-12-04, 05:37 PM
cheers roadknight, i will do.

i'l get you some pics of the receipts, "owners record" - whatever this may be , the engine bay and general shots of the car, and you can make your own mind up !

there is a ton of stuff donated to him from the previous owner