PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft trouble, i think please help !!

az_e11
18-12-04, 11:57 AM
I took my mk1 1.2 Nova, on the motorway 2day, and it has started to make this awful ticking/tapping noise, the higher i rev, the louder this noise gets.

I have been told to check my oil level, which is fine, ive even added a drop of oil, noise is still there,
so I am not sure whats up, my m8 thinks its the Camshaft, coz the noise is coming from that area.
Does this mean that the camshaft is worn out or something, as i dont av a clue about them

And if so What sort of prices will i be lookin at, for a new camshaft, and fitting?

Cherz

:( :(

DrivingSpanner
18-12-04, 05:12 PM
tappets are the most likely cause fella, what makes you think that it is from the top of the engine tho? another posable cause is a broken piston ring, however from what you've said sofar my money would be on tappets, give us some more info and we can me more accurate...

Matt

mattlin
18-12-04, 05:46 PM
i agree with drivingspanner,the symptoms your telling us sounds like the tappets are off a bit,just take the rocker cover off and check the clearances with a feeler gauge when engine is cold using the rule of nine if yours is an 8 valve,if you dont know how to do the rule of nine then it is explained in ur haynes manual

James B
18-12-04, 05:50 PM
me too, tappets sound the best option. do the feeler gauge check and also bheck that all caps are in their correct position coz once i was a muppet and obviously didnt put a cap on properly, drove it down the road and after a while made the most TERRIBLE noise!!!

James

NovaMelyn!
18-12-04, 07:47 PM
No point measuring the rocker clearances as they're maintained by Hydraulic lifters, so the gap is automatically closed when the engine is running. The only think you could do would be to check that they all maintian pressure whilst the engine is running but that would be near impossible.

A New camshaft is going to cost a LOT, ay as well get a performance one. Take your rocker cover off and have a look at the camshaft and rockers, look for scoring, pitting and make sure the surface is flat and smooth, feel all over the lobes to make sure they're not convex. A little light scoring's nothing to get worried about though.

Philsutton
18-12-04, 10:37 PM
we had a simliar noise on my mates fiesta, basically louder tappets than before. then bang it shot a conrod/s out the front of the block :o

mattlin
18-12-04, 11:04 PM
where in n.wales u from melyn,im in anglesey

General Baxter
18-12-04, 11:07 PM
A New camshaft is going to cost a LOT.

nar
"Camshaft,Finger Arm Arm Cam Followers,Hydraulic Lifter Ball Studs,Thrust Pads,Pre Lube"

for a nice price of ?100 NEW :D

az_e11
18-12-04, 11:23 PM
Cherz for the response guys
the only other symtoms, i can think of , is just after i got the car, this tickking noise came, i put in some oil, and the noise went, and recently it has come back, put in some oil it went, then now its back and wont go away even with oil, gets worse at higher revs.

My car is goin to the garage on monday,to get problem checked out

If it is the camshaft problem
What is the best camshaft i should go for on my 1.2, as i would rather replace it with a decent one then just another standard 1.

cherz

:)

Aragorn
19-12-04, 10:19 AM
when u say "you put oil in" what do u mean??

the oil should be regularly checked and topped up to the max line on the dipstick (and in my opinion if its black should be changed) not just randomly added cos u can hear ticking noises, overfilled oil IS BAD for the engine

u might wanna try putting a can of oil flush thru it then replacing it all with some 10w40semi oil before ripping it to pieces

and even if that doesnt fix the problem and u need to replace lifters then its still not going to do any harm having nice fresh oil in there

if u are going to do anything to it then i'd suggest finding a 1.4sr and taking the cam, rockers and lifters from that, make sure the rockers and lifters stay in the correct order and fit all that to your engine, might wanna clean the new lifters out when u get them

so get yourself down to halfords or your local motorfactors and buy some oil flush and some 10w40semi and a new oil filter- dont buy expensive stuff - its all the same rating anyway, it'll prolly cost you ?15-20 all in from a motorfactors and ?25ish from halfords

az_e11
19-12-04, 11:56 AM
when u say "you put oil in" what do u mean??

the oil should be regularly checked and topped up to the max line on the dipstick (and in my opinion if its black should be changed) not just randomly added cos u can hear ticking noises, overfilled oil IS BAD for the engine

u might wanna try putting a can of oil flush thru it then replacing it all with some 10w40semi oil before ripping it to pieces

and even if that doesnt fix the problem and u need to replace lifters then its still not going to do any harm having nice fresh oil in there

if u are going to do anything to it then i'd suggest finding a 1.4sr and taking the cam, rockers and lifters from that, make sure the rockers and lifters stay in the correct order and fit all that to your engine, might wanna clean the new lifters out when u get them

so get yourself down to halfords or your local motorfactors and buy some oil flush and some 10w40semi and a new oil filter- dont buy expensive stuff - its all the same rating anyway, it'll prolly cost you ?15-20 all in from a motorfactors and ?25ish from halfords

Yep, oil level has always been ok, definetly above the min, when i say i topped it up, this was because it was half way in between the min and the max, not over.

It is definetily getting an oil change,
Oh yeah cherz for your help on my other porblem( Aternator charging ), I have now fixed it, I had made a crap connection, on the dash bulb wire.

Cherz for the help

novasportjersey
19-12-04, 12:06 PM
definatly give the engine flush a try. stick some in and run it for 20 mins giving it a good rev. then drain it and replace with a nice thick oil. very common to get a sludge build up in the oilways reducing flow to the tappets causing excessive clearance

burgo
19-12-04, 12:14 PM
check your oil pick-up pipe as mine got blocked and the cam was fooked in a matter of miles

az_e11
19-12-04, 12:38 PM
definatly give the engine flush a try. stick some in and run it for 20 mins giving it a good rev. then drain it and replace with a nice thick oil. very common to get a sludge build up in the oilways reducing flow to the tappets causing excessive clearance

What sort of oil do you recommend m8, Whats the best stuff for a 1.2 mk1, I wanna use some quality stuff

cherz

DrivingSpanner
19-12-04, 01:22 PM
as its not a performance engine just some castrol GTX will do the job a treat, as good as anything else or if you feeling really flash you could try some cartrol racing , but be sure to buy the 10/40 and NOT the 10/60 as it will be to thin for your engine, the GTX will be fine tho...

If you can find some 20/50 oil tho use that, can be harder to find these days tho... i think they stoped making castrol GTX 20/50 a while back!

NovaMelyn!
19-12-04, 09:23 PM
where in n.wales u from melyn,im in anglesey

Pwllheli mate, hoping to have the car back ready to try the Valentines rally on Anglesey next February :wink: