PDA

View Full Version : It's Christmas... whose working it?

wisewood
17-12-04, 07:53 PM
While most of the country get the day off over christmas (we wont even mention the student to$$ers), some people have to work on christmas day to keep certain essential services running.

So, who has to work christmas or boxing day? and what do you do?

I was supposed to be working christmas day but thankfully i managed to get someone else to do it for me, but i have got to work boxing day, but i managed to persuade the night shift guy to come in a bit early, at 2:30pm in the afternoon lol, so i only do a 6 hour shift that day too lmao.

I work in the control room for a security company... making sure people are at work... are alive... aren't being attacked by people wanting whatever it is we are securing. It's not as bad as it sounds, and they were kind enough to write in the job description that the job carries a junior management grade, so that went straight on the CV and got blown out of all proportion lmfao.

General Baxter
17-12-04, 07:56 PM
im on call out, just incase some french tit wants to kill his trailer! :lol:

Mark
17-12-04, 08:01 PM
For a change, I booked some Holiday, so I finsh at 2pm on the 24th and go back the Wednesday after New year... :D

Fester
17-12-04, 08:34 PM
/me rubs index finger and thumb together

Smallest violin in the world :lol:

I've worked Christmas & NYE shifts in previous work before, it's shite and I'm never doing it again by choice, no matter how much for :) It's not worth it.

epo
17-12-04, 08:47 PM
wont be working but will be on call for xmas or new year so wont be drinking on one of the days :evil: :evil: :evil:

Stuart
17-12-04, 09:03 PM
does your pussy hurt again andy?

Mel
17-12-04, 09:16 PM
I'm working all this week, and working Xmas Eve.

But, our offices are closed till 5 Jan so get 2 weeks off :)

dan-hipgrave
17-12-04, 10:04 PM
Ive got one proper day of work next week, and them im off until the 4th of January 8)

Rach
17-12-04, 10:06 PM
WORK...????

:wink:

i'll be celebrating for the entire festive season... lol :x-mas:

broody
17-12-04, 11:07 PM
I'm working upto and including xmas day and then start my new job on boxing day, so no days off for me, oh what fun!

rachaelrebekah
17-12-04, 11:39 PM
i got two weeks off from the 20th dec - 3rd jan.

?Marty?
17-12-04, 11:52 PM
I used to work without a day off during december, when i was in the restaurant trade. But am off both Christmas/boxing day, and NYE and etc now.

broody
18-12-04, 12:11 AM
Im in the reasturant trade and with that sort of work you dont get any days off. when other people do.

Im finishing at toby carvery on the 25th(xmas day) and starting my new job on boxing day which is a pub where ill be working in the kitchen doing checks and also on the bar and also within few weeks openeing and shutting the pub on my own.

Neil

scott.parker
18-12-04, 12:22 AM
Well as im self employed i need to work as much time as i can,though most of the people at the place im working now are having from 23rd dec off till the 3rd of jan,but im going to be working upto 24th,back in on the 28th brake up again 31st then in again 2nd,as there is the national boat show to be done(hey stu i might get some pics,if ther is any boats when im there) this job willl be down at londons excel show venue,so i will be stoping over the night times down there(hehe crimbo peeup in london) well maybe not,as i know we have got lots to get done there is three of us going,and theres enough work for ten men! :roll:,oh well big hours,more money,more mods,lol..

Oh by the way im a joiner,im working for an exherbiton company,we make loads of stands for events all round the world,i will be doing a stand for pirelli,thats going in in jan for the autosport show up the N.E.C..

scott

?Marty?
18-12-04, 01:10 AM
That's it, when you're self-employed the rewards are there if you're prepared to put the hours and effor in.

No one can give a shit when it's 'working for the man'.

You care less about working unsociable hours when you're doing it for yourself, and have 'chosen' to do so.

wisewood
18-12-04, 10:06 AM
I've worked in the night-club business and beer/wines/spirits distribution trade, so i'm used to getting no time off when everyone else does.

Fortunately i work with a guy who likes money, and doesnt like christmas so he's always happy to swap... and he doesnt even want full shift pay for it, this year all he wants is a bottle of smirnoff. Fabulous!

Col_Mk1
18-12-04, 11:24 AM
work what tyhat lol :lol:

epo
18-12-04, 12:16 PM
ive never worked xmas and tbh i dont think i ever will they couldnt pay me enough to do it

DrivingSpanner
18-12-04, 01:07 PM
i'll be working all the way through!!! even tho i've got two weeks booked off work.... think i'll be trying to sort one on the novas so i'll pull it into the workshop and be in there doing it, does that count as work? i'll be doing it at work if that counts!?!?!?

?Marty?
18-12-04, 04:43 PM
I've worked in the night-club business and beer/wines/spirits distribution trade, so i'm used to getting no time off when everyone else does.

Fortunately i work with a guy who likes money, and doesnt like christmas so he's always happy to swap... and he doesnt even want full shift pay for it, this year all he wants is a bottle of smirnoff. Fabulous!

What an idiot! If he got more, he would easily be able to buy 3 bottles of it instead. lol

James B
18-12-04, 06:00 PM
DJ'n solid, most popular time of the year!

think of the pennies tho thats wot i say

Nick
18-12-04, 07:00 PM
I'm working half a day on the 24th, then off untill the 4th of jan i think...

I work for a firm of architects, and usually Joiners/electricians get a couple of weeks off, and the Town planners take 3 weeks off, so i can't understand why we don't, there wont be much to get on with Tbh..

epo
18-12-04, 07:14 PM

I work for a firm of architects, and usually Joiners/electricians get a couple of weeks off, and the Town planners take 3 weeks off, so i can't understand why we don't, there wont be much to get on with Tbh..

lol yep am an electrician we finish this wednesday and arnt back till the 6th of january

Mike.
18-12-04, 07:20 PM
i'm working till christmas eve :(

Mike
18-12-04, 08:17 PM
im workin up until christmas eve :(

me old mans working christmas day for ?48.50 an hour!!! he'll be @ ironbridge power station for few hour's and they pay petrol @ 25p per mile!

Al Wilson
18-12-04, 09:09 PM
(we wont even mention the student to$$ers.

LMAO!

I broke up yesterday and don't go back until January 31st! But I do have some important assignments to complete. As for work, I have 24, 25 and 26th off and the 1st. But because we are a 'partnership' and not a 'company' and have decided as a 'partnership' to close on New Years day we have to make up the hours we would normally be working on that Saturday. So for me thats 9 hours on some other day, unpaid! :twisted:

Nick
18-12-04, 09:22 PM

lol yep am an electrician we finish this wednesday and arnt back till the 6th of january

exunctly !

So why should i have to work, we aint got anyone to boss around :-) :lol: :wink: on site !

EPO Build that house ! lol j/k

sh0rty
18-12-04, 11:45 PM
I'm in work till 1pm on Xmas Eve then off till th 4th of January. Unpaid though.

Last year I worked it all bar Xmas Day and Boxing Day. I'm a Nursery Nurse so this type of job depends on what boss you've got.

Jack
19-12-04, 04:32 PM
My last day was Friday (17th) and I'm not back til 6th Jan. Had loads of leave left so thought I'd use it all up! And working for the government, your taxes are paying for it :wink: lol

robb
19-12-04, 06:57 PM
I will mostly be snowboarding and drinkin and eating in the Alps, Les Arcs.

As for work, I don't!

wisewood
19-12-04, 07:52 PM
If you're not too stressed about money, you dont need to work and get th double pay etc thats great. Similarly, such as epo, with a young family... it'd be uch better to be at home and enjoy it that stuck at work.

This year i could do with the money, but only really see some members of the family at christmas so want to see them more than i want to get an extra couple of hundred quid.

Maybe we'll all fall out this year and next year i'll rather work lmao.

?Marty?
19-12-04, 08:14 PM
You'd better do your best to ensure this happens. lol

epo
19-12-04, 08:20 PM
If you're not too stressed about money, you dont need to work and get th double pay etc thats great. Similarly, such as epo, with a young family... it'd be uch better to be at home and enjoy it that stuck at work.

This year i could do with the money, but only really see some members of the family at christmas so want to see them more than i want to get an extra couple of hundred quid.

Maybe we'll all fall out this year and next year i'll rather work lmao.

yeah i cant wait to see my kids face on christmas day lily my youngest is going to go mad as last year she was too young to understand

?Marty?
19-12-04, 08:33 PM
are you going to dress up as chav santa?

epo
19-12-04, 08:36 PM
hmmm
not thought of that

lol i could dress up as one burgal the neighbours houses and give the kids their presents :lol:

Nick
19-12-04, 09:19 PM
plan

scott.parker
19-12-04, 10:07 PM
hmmm
not thought of that

lol i could dress up as one burgal the neighbours houses and give the kids their presents :lol:

LOL you fild,just dont get stuck trying to come down the flue pipe. :lol:

scott

epo
20-12-04, 05:42 PM
no i wont father chav-mas has a tool kit for breaking windows picking locks and feeding guard dogs

Col_Mk1
21-12-04, 01:59 AM
no i wont father chav-mas has a tool kit for breaking windows picking locks and feeding guard dogs lol :lol:

Barn
21-12-04, 10:31 AM
working thursday and friday, then got a whole 3 days off then back in work.

total shit.

hate working for other people, its b*llocks

srs1
21-12-04, 11:55 AM
i am working all over chrimbo, only got the day off.
but i have got 5 days off over new year. that was untill i got a phone call. working nights now on the 29th. so really 4 days off now.

epo
21-12-04, 05:20 PM
well i just found out am not on call over christmas so am well pleased didnt want to do it anyway :D :D :D