PDA

View Full Version : Starting and General Running Prob

tom_beverley
15-12-04, 11:46 PM
I put a new carb on today and it takes a good while to start my car now. It was alright before i changed carbs (had to change them due to the other one been worn out), started first time every time, now i have to mess about with the choke, pump the pedal, and nearly drain the battery before it starts.

Also when i first press the accelerator (changing gears or just speeding up) nothing happens then it jerks and then goes alright. When setting off i have to manipulate the clutch and pedal a lot so it wont stall, but after its got going its great.

I have a straight through exhaust system on but i noticed its cracking and popping a lot more when i decellerate.

I changed the fuel pump and dizzy cap and rotor arm a couple of days ago whilst trying to determine what was wrong with my car.

I thought it might need new spark plugs and/or leads but these are quite new still and it started ok before i changed the carb. Also when i first changed the carb it took a very long time for petrol to pull through to the carb???

Anyone ever had anything similar or can tell whats wrong?/what needs adjusting?

Tom

Jack
16-12-04, 08:45 AM
Also when i first press the accelerator (changing gears or just speeding up) nothing happens then it jerks and then goes alright. When setting off i have to manipulate the clutch and pedal a lot so it wont stall, but after its got going its great.

I have a straight through exhaust system on but i noticed its cracking and popping a lot more when i decellerate.

I changed the fuel pump and dizzy cap and rotor arm a couple of days ago whilst trying to determine what was wrong with my car.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am lol), but isn't cracking and popping of the exhaust caused by excess fuel coming thru? And the way you describe the car jerking under acceleration, sounds like its overfuelling (my sister used to have this problem when she had my hatch because she used the choke ALL the time and kept flooding the engine lol). Is it manual or auto choke?

Is the carb new or second hand? If its second hand, bear in mind its always possible you've picked up another duff one.

Snowface
17-12-04, 05:25 PM
if its popping then it may be running too lean.

Aragorn
19-12-04, 10:41 AM
u need a gas analyser and it needs the mixture setting up

an mot station will have the required equipment

Mike
19-12-04, 06:22 PM
mine was doing the same early'er this week, then my engine exploded today! :|

ive got another 1.4SR on way, 83bhp @ the wheels, just gotta put me weber's on.