PDA

View Full Version : Mot rust/Corrosion spots, to look out for!!

az_e11
15-12-04, 10:34 PM
I hav got me MOT due next week, and have noticed bits of rust on my Nova, which i would like to get sorted b4 hand.

Does any 1 know, from experience, what are the main rust spots that are likely to fail my mot, on my Nova?
And where should i be checking, for these rusty bits, what shall I to look out for?
What will fail?

Cherz
Much appreciated

:)

Adam
15-12-04, 11:16 PM
Any rust within 12inches of a structural point will fail, so anywhere near suspension etc will fail.
Sills, and mostly rust that has sharp edges, on inner wings etc.
Heres a cuple of rules straight from MOT rules:-
[size=12]VEHICLE STRUCTURE
Body condition and security
? The vehicle body must not insecure or displaced so as to constitute a risk of loss of control of the vehicle when driven, or a danger to other road users.
? There must be no dangerous sharp edges or projections caused by corrosion or damage

Corrosion
A vehicle can fail with respect to corrosion for:
? Excessive corrosion in a 'prescribed area' - within 30 cms of certain components, e.g. brakes, steering, suspension, seat belt mountings etc.
? Excessive corrosion in a 'prescribed area', but which is likely to adversely affect the vehicle's brakes or steering.

Note
'Excessive corrosion' can mean a hole or a significantly weakened structure.[size]

Hows that for ya :D

Matt Nova
16-12-04, 01:39 AM
Any rust within 12inches of a structural point will fail, so anywhere near suspension etc will fail.
Sills, and mostly rust that has sharp edges, on inner wings etc.
Heres a cuple of rules straight from MOT rules:-
[size=12]VEHICLE STRUCTURE
Body condition and security
? The vehicle body must not insecure or displaced so as to constitute a risk of loss of control of the vehicle when driven, or a danger to other road users.
? There must be no dangerous sharp edges or projections caused by corrosion or damage

Corrosion
A vehicle can fail with respect to corrosion for:
? Excessive corrosion in a 'prescribed area' - within 30 cms of certain components, e.g. brakes, steering, suspension, seat belt mountings etc.
? Excessive corrosion in a 'prescribed area', but which is likely to adversely affect the vehicle's brakes or steering.

Note
'Excessive corrosion' can mean a hole or a significantly weakened structure.[size]

Hows that for ya :D

very thorough matey :D

Jack
16-12-04, 08:48 AM
Have a poke round by the rear shocks and suspension arms. I've needed welding done on both mine round there in the past couple of MOTs.