PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v

storer
15-12-04, 06:15 AM
wot sort of price would i be looking at to insure my nova if i dropped a corsa gsi engine in it? im twenty n got one years no claims. i would only bother with tpft. and is it a worth while conversion or would a nova gsi engine be just as fast.

peester
15-12-04, 08:09 AM
i think the nova gsi's j-series engine is better; less gadgets (ecotec lumps have sensors and switches everywhere) the j-series is more mechanical and simpler. with it havin 8 valves less than the corsa gsi's lump it tends to have more lower end torque, rather than top end pace. i think thats better for fast road; more useable. the only thing to my mind that makes the 1.6 16v eco a better buy than the older 1.6 8v unit is its modifying potential; the corsa engine is much more restricted in standard form than the nova engine so when tuning u'll see some big gains ; up to 200bhp is poss without turbos. they're dearer and not much more readily available than u'de think either; because the corsa gsi was only available 93-96, 3 years. nova lumps been going from 86-93. insurance wise a corsa gsi is around ins. grp 10-11 so ur nova wud jump to around grp. 10.

storer
15-12-04, 05:10 PM
thanks for that info buddy much appreciated.

Matt Nova
15-12-04, 05:44 PM
a gsi engine can be well tuned like but a 1. 16v is something a little different though