PDA

View Full Version : Just to clear something up..........

smithy87
14-12-04, 11:46 AM
Lowering 40mm just using springs reduces the life of the shocks, right? If so, by how much? Is it worth the hassle of changing the shocks much more frequently? If this is a big problem, ie, the shocks do wear quicker, then is worth jus saving up for the springs and shocks that lower 60mm. Basically, if the -40mm doesnt bugger the shocks as much as some people say, ill do that. Cos its cheaper.......

Help appreciated.

Cheers

dunova
14-12-04, 11:52 AM
If you buy brand new standard shocks and lowered it 60mm it would probably lower the life span of the shocks but i think they will still last for years. Don't quote me on that but i think you'd be fine

smithy87
14-12-04, 11:55 AM
Right, sounds like a plan mate. What sort of money am I looking at for a brand new set of shocks with -60mm spring?

Thanks for your help.

Riggy
14-12-04, 12:00 PM
:lol: lol if your gonna do that just buy some proper shocks

as the std ones will have too much travel for the lowered springs and will bottom out , handling will be worse then std because the rates will not be matched and it wont last long atall :o

imo if you want a cheap lowering kit new - go for g max only 200

or go seccond hand and buy a full set for about 100 im sure they will be loads on ebay, or try will and ben

even std gte/gsi suspension would be better :lol:

i got my avo coilovers for 300 second hand :wink: cheers again al

a11ova
14-12-04, 12:01 PM
you might as well spend the extra few quid and get some matched shocks and springs. think G-max do a 60mm lowering kit for about ?250 and you wont have to keep an eye on your shocks come MOT time 8)

LiamGTE
14-12-04, 12:56 PM
I just put springs on, lasted about 3 weeks. then i had to put full kit on, might aswell do it right the first time, then u dont have to mess

jon_boy
14-12-04, 05:10 PM
cos my car was standard 1.2 i got 40mm springs and GSI shocks. dont even know if the shocks are diff from standard but thay lasted as long as i had the car, (bout 4 years) and i dont know bout now cos i sold it. :(

Nick
14-12-04, 05:39 PM
G-max do a 60mm lowering kit for about ?250

?190 i got mine for new, from my local shop. and yes it is Gmax 60mm.

40mm springs buggered my shocks in a matter of weeks, makes it feel like a blamonge (sp)

LiamGTE
14-12-04, 06:21 PM
Same, well the sri's gte's and gsi's are lower to start with, but mine still got buggered pretty quick.

Just pay for a proper kit, then u wont have to mess around with the set up later on