PDA

View Full Version : Warm air feed to solve carb icing

az_e11
12-12-04, 11:11 PM
I am having trouble with carb icing, on my mk1 1.2 Nova, as my K&N isnt likin the cold weather, I dont have the orginal air filter, any more as its on another nova, so would need to keep my K&N on for now.

Does any one know the best way to get a warm air feed to the K&N and where do i put it, I am guessing from the exaust manifold or something

Any ideas??

cherz

:(

Adam
12-12-04, 11:13 PM
A piece of air ducting from b&q or somewhere, one end above exhaust manifold, other end in front of K&N, hot air rises and prevents freezing air entering carb. Put like a plastic shield around the filter to prevent cold air entering, so only warm air is around the filter.
That should stop it.

Adam
12-12-04, 11:16 PM
Heres a pic of the K&N one:-
http://www.tuning.co.uk/vauxshop/media/85-5158.jpg
Just make summit that looks like that.

az_e11
13-12-04, 01:27 PM
ok, cherz m8, sounds good
Will have a look 2day, hopefully i can get the air duct bit from BnQ

James B
13-12-04, 01:39 PM
that kit in pic tho is only ?20

surely easier to get that then codge up summit from b'n'q

suppose youll have to wait for delivery though so your still shagged till then

Chris
13-12-04, 05:47 PM
go to a scrap yard and buy as standard airbox with the warm air duct for about a fiver to use over winter. Problem solved

Nick
13-12-04, 06:46 PM
i find that i have running problems running my 1.2 on the standard airbox.. the airflow isn't enough.

but my engine has allways beena bit moody.

Im having the same problem.

an alternative is to buy a standatd airbox from scrappy, and cutt of the circular bit that contains the airfiler.

Then that's a perfectly fitting hot air duct, just need to secure it with zipties somehwere.If your really stuck i'l do it and send you one.

Nick
13-12-04, 06:48 PM
p.s

you should already have a heatshield and a stunted pipe running off your manifold (unless it's been changed, removed) make sure you don't let anything touch the manifold as you might find it'l melt

jon_boy
13-12-04, 10:34 PM
I "modified" a standard airbox. ie used the bit from the exhaust maniflod and chopped it about 2 inches into where is turns circular. done the trick, just didnt look to pretty.

Nick
13-12-04, 10:46 PM
an alternative is to buy a standatd airbox from scrappy, and cutt of the circular bit that contains the airfiler.

:-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/planbatman.bmp

mattlin
16-12-04, 10:23 PM
you cant feed warm air into your carb,you will lose performance because warm air is at an expanded state while cold air is at a compressed state this meaning u have more of a combustion inside the cylinder.........why do u think we have things such as ram air and nos

General Baxter
16-12-04, 10:27 PM
you cant feed warm air into your carb,you will lose performance because warm air is at an expanded state while cold air is at a compressed state this meaning u have more of a combustion inside the cylinder.........why do u think we have things such as ram air and nos

:roll:

you have to in the winter

:roll:

Nick
16-12-04, 10:37 PM

Ram Air - a RAM PIPE, This INCREASES the cool airflow to the carb or injection system.

NOS - nitrous basically burns purer and with more power than oxygen, resulting in a more powerflow bang

these two have nothing directly to do with the termperature of the air lol.

in theory your kinda right, but when the Air is freezing the fuel... that's just TOO cold... ever been so cold you can't pi55 - that's fooking annoying.

mattlin
16-12-04, 10:40 PM
mine runs ok in the winter,i dont have any problems with it

Nick
16-12-04, 10:41 PM
mine does, just gotta use the choke correctly to stop the carb icing up.

General Baxter
16-12-04, 10:50 PM
mine runs ok in the winter,i dont have any problems with it

what engine you got?

is it a carb or injection?

Nick
16-12-04, 10:55 PM
lol

General Baxter
16-12-04, 10:59 PM
whats so funny?

if its injection car its not so bad for fuel freezing thats why i asked!

p.s HOMO ;)

Nick
16-12-04, 11:20 PM
lol im laughing in anticipation at the response to your question that i expect to see .

mattlin
17-12-04, 12:05 AM
the thing is every engine works at diff temp so all u gotta do is warm it up to that temp really dont just rev the ball off it as soon as u get in lol just give it time

az_e11
17-12-04, 12:44 AM
Well i am still usin my K&N, it is running alright at the moment, but the other day when it was really really really cold, thats when it gave me trouble, it felt like the cold air was holding my car back.
The accelerator pedal felt hesitant, other than the really cold days, its ok.

Cherz for the help

8)