PDA

View Full Version : Clutch trouble after gearbox change.

Glytch
12-12-04, 08:30 PM
after putting the 1.6 gsi engine in the merit (ftm) Im having trouble with the clutch.

The clutch was fine before i took it out of the donor car and the gearbox has not been removed from the engine.

Now that ive put the engine back in im having trouble with it???
When i was doing the gear linkage i removed the gaiter and put the gear leaver as if it was in neutral against the shoulder aligned with the notch.

I took the rubber grommit thing out of the gearbox, rotated the gearselcter anticlockwise until i could get an allenkey in the hole were the grommit was to hold the gear selecter in place while i connected up the bar that runs along the underside of the car. (sorry for not knowing any of the techinical names).

I took the allen key out, put the grommit in and the gear lever feel fine, all gears are where they should be. But the clutch, I have to ppush the peddal right to the bottom to get the clutch to work. As soon as i take my foot off it a tiny bit the gears engage.

Ive tried adjusting the clutch cable but that doesnt seem to be the problem, any suggestions before i send it down the garage?

Adam
12-12-04, 09:49 PM
Where about is the clutch pedal sitting, below the brake pedal, sounds like like the cable is adjusted so that the clutch isn't fully disengaging, and so it bites right near the floor.
Have you tried tightening the clutch cable, so bringing the clutch pedal higher up.

m.d.
12-12-04, 10:30 PM
as above really. you will need to lever the clutch arm to get the cable back on too

Glytch
12-12-04, 10:38 PM
Ive tried adjusting the cable, when the pedal is released the lever on top of the gearbox that operates the clutch doesnt pull the cable properly.
If i pull the lever by hand it goes back further and then springs back to where it was.

Glytch
13-12-04, 07:45 PM
Had another go at it today, tightened up the clutch cable and it works fine now??? Could of sworn I had already that???

Cheers for the help peeps, only trouble is: It's slipping out of reverse.
Any suggestions?

Ta.

m.d.
13-12-04, 07:58 PM
does the stick feel close to the dash when in 1st etc. may be that you need to reset the gear linkage as it might not be going into reverse properly

Nick
13-12-04, 11:01 PM
a simple fix to try is just undo the UJ on the linkage.

have a wiggle about with the stick (obviously putting it back into neutral, or whatever gear u were in beforehand) and wiggle the linkage about.

it had similar problem and it worked for me.

No need to undo anything more complicated.

Sorry yet again for the lack of technical speak