PDA

View Full Version : RUST!

chapers
11-12-04, 07:30 PM
I've just been looking at one of the rear wheels, took it off and knocked part of the arch, a big chunk just fell out of the body!!!!!!!!!!! what can i do to repair this problem??? ive got some fibreglass sh*t that im gunna have a go at fixin it, but does anyone have any more tips? also will it cause a failure on my MOT?

chaps

dunova
11-12-04, 08:00 PM
Well a 'big chunk' sounds quite bad! I'd get new a new rear arch(s) if i were you. If you repair it with fibreglass it will last all of 5 minutes+look really bad. I think there's some new rear arch's on ebay, they're not exspensive.

chapers
11-12-04, 08:15 PM
ok thanks for the advice, what i forgot to say was that its near the bottom of the arch, do you think that a set of gte sideskirts wld do to just cover it up? or will the arch continue to rot away?

im really p*ssed off!

chaps

dunova
11-12-04, 08:56 PM
Well the arch will continue just to rot out, unless you knock back all of the rust to the good metal and then waxoil it (it's thick gooey stuff you can get from most car places and will seal it from rust).

GTE skirts might cover it up but it will probably be picked up on the MOT (depending on where it is-e.g if it goes down to the sill) and fixing stuff is always better than hiding it and pretending it's better! I suppose it depend's on how long you plan on having the car

Mel
11-12-04, 09:02 PM
If that section of the arch is gone, dont cover it. It WILL keep rusting underneath,and would be worse if left/covered over (trust me, I have got a GTE that has done exactly that!).

By exerience, if that section's gone, your sill would have started going as well. (not in all cases, but it was with me).

Get a new arch repair section (possibly sill bit as well), and weld the new it in AFTER removing all previous rust around the surrounding area. Once thats done, you need to treat that section with some sort of rust treater (kurust etc), and go from there.

Also, jack the car up and take a GOOD look underneath and up the arches. If the outer section of the arch has gone, then im sure the inner bit and sill (if not a lot more) would have gone as well.

Give the car a good looking over, and treat / replace the rust with good new steel, otherwise it will look rank and will just rust worst in a couple months time!

I guarantee if you just cover it or leave it, you will end up with a shattered shell (and will crumple like a bit of paper) that's not worth the money you'd pay for scrapping it :wink:

Matt EvoVI
11-12-04, 10:43 PM
Panding on the size of the hole you may be able to use fibre glass, but if you do want the job doing right i suggest welding a new arch in.

Thats if it's that bad :wink:

chapers
11-12-04, 11:17 PM
thanks again for all the advice,

i dont suppose you could tell me where i could get these replacepent panels from?

ive checked ebay but cant seem to find any but anywhere will do, because all i want is for the car to be fixed really, so im not too bothered on prices but cheaper the better.

thanks

chaps

Nick
11-12-04, 11:19 PM
www.sel-imperial.co.uk i think that's right

gotta hurry, silverster stalone is on tv ! wohoo

Jack
11-12-04, 11:35 PM
Sel Impeials's panels are cheap, but it seems to be a bit of pot luck as to how well they fit - some ppl have sworn by them, others have had problems.

But unless you fancy shelling out ??? for vauxhall parts, there's not much choice (door skin from my local dealer cost ?200, and another ?200 for a door frame! I didn't hang around to ask how much it'd cost for them to fit it :lol:)

chapers
11-12-04, 11:45 PM
i was just looking at one of the links on wisewoods links about sel-imperial is that 50% thing still available??? if so i'll put my feet up n watch stalone in action!

chaps

Mel
12-12-04, 12:20 AM
On the site, the amount in red i think (or the one in a diff colour) is the price you pay.

Its ?9 sommat each side for the panel iirc..

mark1astramad
12-12-04, 02:54 AM
HOW ABOUT THIS????(IF IVE DONE IT RITE)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/mark1astramad/carpics005.jpg OR[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/mark1astramad/carpics004.jpg
ORhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/mark1astramad/carpics003.jpg
IF THEESE DONT UPLOAD,IM GONNA GIVE UP!!!!

a11ova
12-12-04, 03:29 AM
links dont work chap 8)

chapers
12-12-04, 10:18 AM
mark1amstrad u got a worse problem than me with that white car!!! that looks nasty!

have you fixed it yet?

(to see the pics i copied n pasted the 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/mark1astramad/carpics005.jpg' into the address bar at the top of the page)

mark1astramad
12-12-04, 10:23 AM
i was thinkin about it,but it would mean 2 rear qtr panels,all the cills welding and a shit load of work,so im in themiddle of greaking her-so if u want an xe or any parts,let me know

Mel
12-12-04, 08:20 PM
LOL is that it?

That's easily fixed. You should see the state of mine!

I have had to do a WHOLE reconstruction of the underneath, rear valance, sills, arches (both inner and outer), boot floor, and thats without touching the front of the car, lol

Its a long job, but my car's worth putting back on the road..is yours? (in your opinion..)

Nick
12-12-04, 09:16 PM
jeez mel, that sounds like alot of work !

sure it wasn't just better to ditch it and get a clean one ?

or was it a sentimental thing... if i discovered mine was a rotbox (which it aint) i don't think i could scrap it.

i'd turn it into a water feature or something

Mel
12-12-04, 09:22 PM
lol, tbh didnt know the extent of the damage until we'd jacked it up AFTER i'd bought it. Long story, but basically I'd been bugging my mate for a long time that if he ever sold it, to give it to me no matter what was wrong with it, because I loved it so much.

It's my pride and joy, even though I've drove it once and it should be in the scrap heap :lol:

It was a sentimental thing, but the car itself was perfect (before I got to it with a grinder :twisted: lol ), Burgo will tell you it was worth saving.

Plus, its a mk1, lol, so worth ALL the effort :P

Nick
12-12-04, 09:44 PM
Plus, its a mk1, lol, so not really worth ALL the effort :P

:o :o :o :o :o

that's a shocking thing to say about Mk1's !

Mel
12-12-04, 09:52 PM
OI! :lol:

Nick
12-12-04, 10:27 PM
I KNOW! :lol:

tut tut.. caps lock is next to A :-D :-D :-D

Riggy
12-12-04, 10:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/mark1astramad/carpics005.jpg

does look bad but i have seen worse :o

Matt EvoVI
12-12-04, 10:39 PM
A bit of filler will fix that one riggy :lol:

Riggy
12-12-04, 10:42 PM
:lol: just a bit matt :lol:

Nick
12-12-04, 10:43 PM
lol theres a nova SR in scrapyard , just been dumped in recently, both rear arches are like that all the way down to the sills as well.

apart from that it looks well loved and cared for.

chapers
14-12-04, 04:43 PM
mines only at the bottom of the arch,looks like that, but if you press further along closer to the door you can hear and feel that its rotting away!! will that sorta thing affect the MOT? if it doesnt i will leave it. i dont really think its worth repairing at the moment though.

Dar
14-12-04, 05:06 PM
Does it look like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/Dsc0259420.jpg

Dar
14-12-04, 05:25 PM
Pressed submit instead of preview (muppet!)

Anyway if so its not a major job to fix, and because its behind the skirts it dosent have to be done perfect either. Just get all the rust out and paint on some of that stuff that cures rust in to non-rustable stuff and then get out the good ole Isopon P40. Its quite easy if a bit messy (well it is when I do it). Also its cheap :D

I sounded to me like you just want it fixed well enough to be going on with and not have the bother of replacing panels and stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/DSC02701.jpg

Now rust free :D

chapers
14-12-04, 07:08 PM
thats it! looks betta than something to just go on with!
wont that end up beaking off? how long has that lasted for you so far?

Dar
14-12-04, 07:16 PM
I've only just done that repair but I had the same on the other rear arch (actually worse), its been a year since I did that repair and its still perfect.

chapers
14-12-04, 07:37 PM
i dont qite understand how you form it back to that shape.
will i be able to 'slap' it all on straight into shape or will i have to build it up? ive never done this before so im going to need as much advice as i can get.

Dar
14-12-04, 09:48 PM
OK, Im no expert, I just kinda got on with it. But here is how I went about it.

1) Get rid of all the rust. I used a little wire brush thingy on the end of a drill.
2) Paint the area in the rust curing stuff. Make sure you get it all.
3) Go get some Isopon P40 (fibreglass compound stuff) and some metal gause stuff thats used with it. Also get some filler (Isopon P38).
4) Cut and form the metal gause to the shape you want and place it in the hole.
5) Mix up the P40 and start covering the gause. I did this inside the car as well as outside. It dosn't have to match the shape of the hole at first. Your kinda of building a foundation at this point. When it goesa bit rubbery cut off the excess stringy bits.
6) Once its gone off repeat this stage so that you have a basic shape.
7) Now mix up some P38 and start applying this over the area. At this point you are looking to make the repair the same shape as the bodywork. You don't want to build this up to much because you will only have to sand it away afterwards. Its best top read the instructions in the packets as they will give you further instructions on what to do.
Once its gone off get some course sand paper. I think I used 80 grit. Start sanding the repair to get the shape. You will have high and low spots. Concentrate on getting rid of the high points. Use finer grade sandpaper as you get closer to the shape you want. You will have to fill and sand a few times until you get the final shape. You should end up with something like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/Dsc0259520.jpg

This is where you can spend ages getting it just right. Its up to you. You want to end up using very fine sand paper to get it smooth.

Mine ended up looking like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/DSC02605.jpg

8 ) Mask off and primer the area.
9) Spray it.

Hope this helps. Its just how I did mine. :D Im sure that there are people on here who will know how to do this better. If so I hope they point out the better ways of doing the job. I didn't spend much time on mine because I really don't have the skills to get it perfect and its just a trackday car anyway.

Also read the instructions that come with the P40 & P38 they explain how to do the job as well.

Nick
14-12-04, 09:56 PM
christ that's pretty good job you've done there.

Dar
14-12-04, 10:07 PM

chapers
14-12-04, 10:40 PM
awsome! thanks alot! hopefully i can get on with it

thanks again

vader
17-12-04, 06:24 PM
nice to see it been sorted 8)

Nick
18-12-04, 07:09 PM
After you'd preped and finished it all, did u not have to spray the whole panel !? or did you just blend the old paint into the new ?!

*novadose*
18-12-04, 08:48 PM
On mine, behind the rear bumper the like flap of metal that hangs down from the boot floor area has rotted off and left me with a hole in the boot. Would it be ok to fibreglass that or will it fails its MOT?? the inner passenger wing has a hole in it to so is there a reapir panel i can get or just cut it out with tin snips and P40 it??
ROUGHLY how much is it to have the strut tops and surounding area seem welded because my mates went straight through when he had shortened dampers on, dont want the same with mine.....

Mel, are you man or woman??? If your a bird you know your stuff!

Nick
18-12-04, 09:01 PM
lol they shouldn't have done so...

you could filler it , but it'd have to be a really good job for them not to spot it. As i don't think it'l pass with filler in.

just get someone to patch weld it. It wont cost much as it doesn't have to be pretty

*novadose*
18-12-04, 09:22 PM
Someone must have got some really sketchy backstreet bum boy to weld mine befrore cos its a really shitty job! I could do it myself but it's SORN'ed and outside my house with no garage so the police would hate me, lol.

How easy is it to drop a 1.4 sri engine into a 1.2? what will i need, engine, box, loom, ecu.... anything else? will i need to mod the mounts?
mine shits black smoke so the 1.2 has to go....

Nick
18-12-04, 09:28 PM
probably piston ring's which would cost less to do that a 1.4 SRi

if your 1.2 is carb, then you need engine,box,Loom,Ecu,Fuel Tank, Fuel Pump, Fuel lines.. a reasonably big job really.

if yours is a 1.2i, then you just need Engine,box,Loom,Ecu and it's alot less hassle as the wiring is allready there.

Also the SRi shells are strengthened (same as a GSi shell) which you would probably need doing if you were going to run a High spec.

*novadose*
18-12-04, 09:46 PM
Fuck, lol
I'll just be doing the rings then or get a 1.3 from down the road. Been out of a car for about 4-5 months though so not sure wether it's any good.... Aparantly the only thing wrong with it before he took it out was tappets.

Nick
18-12-04, 09:53 PM
put a 1.4SR in, or use the 1.4Sri/1.6Gsi engine and run it on twin carbs.

is yours carbed ?

*novadose*
20-12-04, 02:55 PM
yeah it is fella. How would i get a sri on twin carbs?!?!?

DrivingSpanner
20-12-04, 07:04 PM
ever started on of those jobs and instantly regretted it??? :o :? :o :cry:

I took the grinder to the rear arches of my white runnaround this morning cause they had a LITTLE rust on that was bubbling, thought no big deal... then to find out there was an area the size if a small football that was all filler and nothing else, so now im chopping it out and have welded some metal into the drivers side(just waiting for some glass filler to go off right now) and imm ganna have to paint half the car now cause i got a lil carried away with the DA!

i've no idea how i'll get home tonight with out a car on the road! bastartd i brought it just as a reliable run around, mine you its done well over the last year for the ?200 i brought it for and it been through an MOT since! o'well its a good excuse to tidy her up for the MK meet, damn good job i've got the week off...

scott.parker
20-12-04, 09:12 PM
ever started on of those jobs and instantly regretted it??? :o :? :o :cry:

I took the grinder to the rear arches of my white runnaround this morning cause they had a LITTLE rust on that was bubbling, thought no big deal... then to find out there was an area the size if a small football that was all filler and nothing else, so now im chopping it out and have welded some metal into the drivers side(just waiting for some glass filler to go off right now) and imm ganna have to paint half the car now cause i got a lil carried away with the DA!

i've no idea how i'll get home tonight with out a car on the road! bastartd i brought it just as a reliable run around, mine you its done well over the last year for the ?200 i brought it for and it been through an MOT since! o'well its a good excuse to tidy her up for the MK meet, damn good job i've got the week off...

lol :lol:

Sounds like your having fun this week.. :D

scott

DrivingSpanner
21-12-04, 01:12 PM
not quite what i had planned scott!

DrivingSpanner
21-12-04, 03:44 PM
well i've done all the welding and filling now, not the best job i've ever done but it'll do for the runaround!, both rear wings(arches) and both doors now in primer, just got to wait for it to dry now before i can flat it back, mask and paint it all... Now should i paint the front wings as well!?!?! can t decide just yet! probably will tho knowing me they'll only need a quick DA up first and i'll probably get carried away, as usual!