PDA

View Full Version : Anti virus software....

dunova
11-12-04, 11:28 AM
.......Where's the best place to get it? I nearly got the norton anti virus download for $50 (about ?25-?30) is that a desent/average price to pay?
Also, are there any ones which are better than others?

I know Alex is clued up on computers-anyone else? I dont know franky fook all about them :lol:

a11ova
11-12-04, 11:32 AM
i use Norton and seems to be ok. try downloading it off ares or suprnova.

wont cost anything then :D

dunova
11-12-04, 11:46 AM
try downloading it off ares or suprnova

:o Don't know what you mean?!? Remember i'm a computer re*ard! Can i download it off other people then?

a11ova
11-12-04, 11:52 AM
should be able to! not too clever on computers myself. can just about turn one on.........some times :?

dan-hipgrave
11-12-04, 12:24 PM
suprnova and other sites like that are torrent sites mate - not actual people..

You go on there and download the programs you want - but ironically it will most probably contain a virus itself..

I dont bother with anti-virus software, i just use an online scanner for free every couple of months :wink:

dunova
11-12-04, 01:01 PM
Just downloaded a free anti virus program from ares, so am now firewalled and anti-virused! Cheers mate :D

a11ova
11-12-04, 01:03 PM
Just downloaded a free anti virus program from ares, so am now firewalled and anti-virused! Cheers mate :D

big kev knows all PMSL :P

Ste_Nova
11-12-04, 03:21 PM
AVG is one if the better free ones

Alex
11-12-04, 03:37 PM
I dont bother with anti-virus software, i just use an online scanner for free every couple of months :wink:

You will probably be better getting one. Prevention is better than a cure, and you will be helping to spread viruses and spy/adware while your pc is infected. Every couple of months is also a way to long a gap to leave.

I use Norton 2004. Which I got for free, of course. I am still yet to pay for a piece of non-game software lol

Jack
11-12-04, 03:50 PM

Same here... sure prevention is better than cure, but i've got a strict lock on my net connection so I know whats coming and going.

Try AdAware and Agnitum Outpost, both free bits of kit and very good. Also be wary of downloadnig files from P2P software like Emule, Kazaa and from torrent sites.

Alex
11-12-04, 06:14 PM
viruses can be transfered fom other sources than just the net.

You may also downloaded a file from the net that contains a virus which you think is something else. The virus may in fact be "tagged on" to the file(s) you are after. Your "Strick lock" (whatever that is) will not detect or prevent this. A firewall does not prevent/identify viruses etc.

There are so many free virus checkers out there, it is just common sense to have one.

Nick
11-12-04, 06:45 PM
Norton in my opinion is a bunch of bullshit.. pay alot of money for a load of crap. Here are the 4 best Spyware/anti virus programs i know of.

(as STE_nova mentioned ) AVG anti-virus
Torjan Remover
Adware SE**
Spybot Search and destroy 1.3 **

** these two are really really good, Adware found about 789 processes/files/registery keys/registery values e.t.c on my comp

everyone get these, they are all freeware.

dunova
11-12-04, 06:59 PM
I got AVG antivirus and ad aware SE today-ad aware is very good and is also free! Windwos XP (what i've got) has a firewall with it, but is it any good?

I heard there's a recent virus called the 'sash' virus or something and it mainly gets on XP and 2000 because of a certain weak spot in them-sounds like abit of a bugger aswell :?

Jack
11-12-04, 07:34 PM
viruses can be transfered fom other sources than just the net.

You may also downloaded a file from the net that contains a virus which you think is something else. The virus may in fact be "tagged on" to the file(s) you are after. Your "Strick lock" (whatever that is) will not detect or prevent this. A firewall does not prevent/identify viruses etc.

There are so many free virus checkers out there, it is just common sense to have one.

I know viruses can come from other sources, but this particular computer very rarely has any input from other machines (when it does its usually from my other computers), only incoming stuff is from the net and cdrs written on this machine. I've got AVG on my other machines; but on this one i keep a tough eye on the net connection (strict lock on what is incoming and outgoing). But then i'm more concerned about spyware stealing my personal data rather than viruses anyway...

Rach
11-12-04, 07:37 PM
Adware SE**

Adware found about 789 processes/files/registery keys/registery values e.t.c on my comp

well i've got that... and yes it is good at finding stuff

but as alex said... prevention is better than cure, and all that program does is find things that have slipped through your other filters

Fester
11-12-04, 08:33 PM
Equally as important keep your Windows comp up to date (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)

Nick
11-12-04, 11:15 PM
windows XP firewal (in the new service pack) is a bunch of rubbish, it does feck all to be honest. You still get all the adware e.t.c

I suppose prevention is better than cure, Alot of Pr0n sites give you viruses, so don't go looking at pr0n.

but it's so hard to prevent it, just arm yourself withabout 20 spyware/virus programs, update them every week and it should keep you clean !

Most of them have realtime scans, so anything major that finds it's way to you and starts opening itself will get terminated instantly (AVG is such a program)