PDA

View Full Version : rear coilovers

dunova
10-12-04, 11:37 AM
I've been looking at some rear coilovers from a mk2 golf and i was wondering if they would fit a nova? The top and bottom mount looks exactly the same so i thought it would fit?

I know the ride height would be different (for example -60mm on a golf might be equivalent to -80mm on a nova or vice versa) but does anyone know if they would physically fit? Also, one's off a mini look like they'd fit aswell :?

Will F
10-12-04, 12:44 PM
cant use rear coilovers on novas mate, without modification.
Most kits come with seperate spring/damper combo.

dunova
10-12-04, 12:50 PM
How does the height adjustable on the back work then? With one of those height adjustable plates to sit on?

I thought you had coilovers all round Will? Can you just get an adjustable spax/koni setup that is height and damping adjustable?

Will F
10-12-04, 12:53 PM
I have a full coilover 'kit', but alas, the rears are only damping adjustable with that spring comressor thing on it!

Ste L
10-12-04, 12:58 PM
i thought avo did front and back coilovers??

dunova
10-12-04, 01:05 PM
Ahh i see. How low can you go on the back with that setup?

I thought avo did a full coilover kit aswell-i was quoted ?660 delivered for a full avo kit

Ste L
10-12-04, 01:25 PM
i also thought fk did front and rear height ajustable aswell, seperat spring and shock at the back, but im sure they are height ajustable :?:

Will F
10-12-04, 02:13 PM
The rears are height adj, but its not a coliover set up. It has a small threaded thing which sits on the rear beam and compresses the rear springs to lower the car.

dunova
10-12-04, 02:44 PM
Yeah i've seen them before. What spring is it without the adjuster? e.g is it a -60mm spring but you can compress it to -85mm or something?

skud52
10-12-04, 03:35 PM
you can have rear coilovers on a nova

benji
10-12-04, 05:14 PM
i have avo coilovers, if you get them direct from avo they are ?500 + ?35 delivery. they are front and rear height and damping adjustable, proper coilovers at the back, i can get a pic if you want. cp also runs these and so does phil sutton, and probably a few others. deffinatly a proper coilover at the back

GT-Dub
10-12-04, 05:25 PM
Get some Billies :D

Riggy
10-12-04, 10:24 PM
yup i have rear avo coilovers aswell :lol:

benji
11-12-04, 12:33 AM
Get some Billies :D

i had some, chaged them for the avo's, i've still got the front dampers in the garage, and a set of -30mm g-max springs

NovaNeil
11-12-04, 09:14 AM
I have rear Avo coilovers as well, and they hardly needed any modification to fit, just a few "light" (cough cough) hits with a hammer on the inner arch and that was it. They bolted straight on.

Neil

Ste_Nova
11-12-04, 10:09 AM
that adjustable rear spring... it's like a -100 and is liftable from there

Steve Barker
11-12-04, 10:45 AM
avo's and a big hammer.

a11ova
11-12-04, 11:27 AM
i have avo coilovers and they have the exactly the same adjustment on the back as the front. just give the inner wong a bash and hey presto, there on :D

dunova
11-12-04, 11:47 AM
Proper coilovers front and back would be mint, but i can get some like Will's for about ?250 if i get them in Germany-and on the budget i'm on that seems a lot more appealing!

Alex
11-12-04, 12:14 PM
http://www.trackstore.co.uk/shop%20frame.html

Proper nova rear coilovers. Click on class two suspension

benji
11-12-04, 07:01 PM
reply i got from the guy at the trackstore when i enquired about the coilovers

Hi Ben,
Nova coil over kits nearly all have a weakness, they use a modified rear beam which does not allow height adjustment. Because of our competition background we persuaded AVO to make us a kit with adjustable rear units which we have proved reliable in heavy competition use.
The rears fit to the existing rear shock mountings, generally without modification. The fit is, however, very tight. Sometimes a little bit of body/ chassis modifaication is required, this amounts to hitting things with a hammer to get clearance. Nothing serious, only little dents sometimes. These "mods" are not always needed but as all Novas are twisted to some extent at the back (trust me, I've raced them for ten years, they bend) I thought I should warn you. For heavy use we recomend re-inforcing the top rear shock mounting point at some time, not essential but worth doing if you happen to have some big washers and a mig in your hand.
Price for a complete coil over kit with height adjustable rears is ?550.00 delivered. As this kit is not standard you should phone me to order (01325 261336). Delivery is usually 2-4 days, if there is likely to be a delay we will phone you within 2 hours of your order. We always try to meet customers deadlines but please don't wait till the last minute to order, things can go wrong anywhere in the supply chain.

Rob Mayo
Trackstore

Rick Draper
11-12-04, 08:57 PM
http://www.trackstore.co.uk/shop%20frame.html

Proper nova rear coilovers. Click on class two suspension

All things taken into consideration i would not dream of mentioning proper coilovers by avo in the same breath as say Leda or Proflex adjustable suspension but then again for the full set they are selling its 1/3 of the price of just my front Leda struts. The avos i had although they never leeked they did rust up making adjustment hard, they needed alterations to the top hat as there was to little travel and the rear coilover did not fit with 17's. Ledas are stainless, have a locking ring and not a locking grub screw, have proper top hats and thicker shock shafts. Rick

benji
12-12-04, 05:55 PM
i know what you mean about 'proper' coilovers, but as you say the price is load's different. my avo's have been great and in the instructions it tell's you to grease the tread's to stop them rusting

R1CH
12-12-04, 06:11 PM
I got some GAZ rear coilovers from Dampertech ( www.dampertech.co.uk ?) for ?175.08 inc VAT & delivery !!
Had to bash the inner arch a bit to clear the spring, also strengthened the top mount & the mount on the beam.
My car ain't finished yet so can't give any feedback about performane / reliability, they do look very well made & come with a 3 year warrenty though.

Rich

rodgerq
12-12-04, 10:17 PM
ill be gettin my next one turreted at the back and gettin the rear beam moddified to take a good set. undecided which ones though, its a bit of a way off anyway so plenty time to tink about it.

i saw the avo ones but as they use the stadard rear beam mount i was very wary as its not exacly strong looking. only thin plate but it sounds like a few folk have been using them without problem

rodgerq

Rick Draper
12-12-04, 10:57 PM
GAZ coilovers are very good, i would go for them now as they are cheaper than Leda and will make custom sizes. Also they have a ex leda technition working there. Rick

R1CH
12-12-04, 11:19 PM
GAZ coilovers are very good

Hadn't heard much about them to be honest, so thats a reasurrance !!

Rich

m.d.
13-12-04, 07:27 PM
whats all this talk of having to bash the inner arch. my avo's just went right on with no mods at all. well tight fit tho

yellow nova
16-12-04, 11:36 PM
http://img142.exs.cx/img142/8272/springs0038qh.jpg

a11ova
17-12-04, 04:52 PM
nice arch chap :P

yellow nova
17-12-04, 06:18 PM
that was just as i was rolling the archs is that good enough for you http://img148.exs.cx/img148/300/nova16turbo3li.jpg