PDA

View Full Version : Geting rid of the egr valve

Voodoo
10-12-04, 12:43 AM
...on a e16se engine:

-What do I use to blank the hole in the head where the gases go to the egr valve?
-Apart from this and removing the egr/blank plating the egr position, is there anything that needs to be done?

Cheers!

Will F
10-12-04, 09:56 AM
Make a template for it in paper/card, then cut the shap from some aluminium/steel etc and bolt it where the original bolts held the valve on.

You will get an ECU fault code, but it wont affect performance. A relay can be added (if you care) into the loom to fool the ECU and turn the light off.

Voodoo
10-12-04, 08:47 PM
Doh! No mate, you got it the other way around! :lol:
It's the actual hole in the engine head that I don't know how to plug, not the one in the manifold. This one will be done as you described. As for a fault code, can't see how... there's no electric/electronic connection on the egr valve! Aren't you thinking of the 1.6 16v engines?

Ste_Nova
11-12-04, 10:00 AM
bolt the plate in.... don't unplug anything

-Bruce-
11-12-04, 10:11 AM
i dont realy understand what your meaning voodoo.

if you are running twin carbs(40's) or a different maniflold, then the EGR hole will probably need blanked off. you could drill/thread the head and put some sort of grub skrew into plug the hole up!! not sure if this is what you were looking for mate.

bruce

Jules
11-12-04, 10:25 AM
When I had 40's on my old Nova I took the head to a local welding company who welded the hole up for something like ?20.
Might be worth looking into if the head is coming off - if not then I believe a other popular way is to get a bolt and tap it in.

Voodoo
12-12-04, 02:08 AM
Broos3 and Jules, that's what I was after. I'm using the standard manifold, but as I'm rebuilding the engine and the head is off I thought I might aswell block the hole and get rid of the egr valve, one less thing to go wrong.

Thanks guys! I'm off to find a bolt of the right size... :wink: