PDA

View Full Version : brakes doing my ed in

nova_madness
07-12-04, 04:33 PM
Right i put up a post about a week ago about my brakes and i had some good suggestions from people about what to do.
BUT i have tryed everythink and still no joy.
so hear goes again.
im in the process off changing the brake pads and disks on my mk1 nova.
the disks are in place and the piston on the caliper is right the way in ready for the new pads but when i go to put the new pads in i can only get 1 pad in and that 1 is the 1 nearest to the piston but the other pad hasent got enough room to get in.
I have checked the pads and the disks are the right ones for the car and they are 100% the right ones.
so does any 1 know wat else it could be as i havent got a clue.
cheers every 1
john

Aragorn
07-12-04, 05:37 PM
what is the thickness of the disk? - can u actually measure it instead of just telling us they are right...

what style calipers are they and what year is the car?

nova_madness
07-12-04, 06:03 PM
the disks are 10mm and the ones that come off are 10mm.
as for the style i dont know wat u mean m8 im new to nova,s,so if u tell me wat style there is and i will try and answer u more clearly m8 .and the yr is a 89 f reg
cheers m8 john

Aragorn
07-12-04, 06:57 PM
if its an F-reg it'll be the old style ones which are generally quite shite

might find the piston is stuck in the bore and isnt going all the way back in

i'd recommend replacing them with some off a corsa or very late nova (1992 on) as a matter of course - if you look streight at the brake disk with your currect calipers the caliper is just a solid piece of cast iron - the later style ones are a different shape and have a kinda D-Shaped cutout in the caliper where u can see the back of the outboard pad

nova_madness
07-12-04, 07:02 PM
Cheers mate. Thanks for the advice.

*novadose*
08-12-04, 12:03 AM
Get yourself down a scrappy and nab some Corsa SRi calipers and discs for less than a new set of EBC's anyways!